What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

All the Way to Wit's End
This topic is about All the Way to Wit's End
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Drusilla gets sick of her old-fashioned family. . . [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 177 comments This was a middle grade book I read in the mid-eighties, though it may have been older. The title is something generic, like "Anywhere But Here", or something that totally did not fit the book. Drusilla, her sister Cornelia (?), and their brother Courtney move with their parents to a new town. Drusilla's mother's family are a very old, artistocratic family, so all their furniture is priceless heirlooms, which are uncomfortable and really "dated." They have a horsehair sofa, and tables decorated with hair wreaths made from their cousin Muffin Egli's hair. (I will never forget that detail. YUCK!) The girls even wear old-fashioned, hand-me-down dresses, and they all have a serious overbite known as "the Bundage mouth." Drusilla discovers that their furniture and dresses are worth quite a bit of money to antiques collectors, and convinces her mother to update their stuff. Her mom goes crazy with it: selling everything, getting them all new clothes and braces for their teeth. Courtney, who I think is only four or so, insists on living in a large cardboard box, because he hates all the changes. And Drusilla, envious of her neighbors' short, modern names (they have a friend named Toni), tells everyone her nickname is Gigi, and Cornelia goes by Coco.

Any ideas?

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 177 comments YES! Thank you so much! I will move this to "solved!"

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Glad to help. I may have to check this one out myself. (In the late eighties I enjoyed another book by the same author, The Mariah Delany Lending Library Disaster.)