Chicks On Lit discussion

Tell me about your stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
so there are 5 stars on goodreads but how do you define your stars? What is the difference from a 3 to a 4? Here's my definition
1 star = a total waste of paper and ink time I will never get back
2 stars = not my cup of tea but I guess I could maybe see how others might like it.
3 stars = Good characters or plot but not both
4 stars = Good characters AND good plot well written
5 stars = Excellent characters, development of story beautifully written didn't want it to end.

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments OK here is what it is to me:

1) awful, don't bother won't finish reading
2) awful, others might like it, forced myself to finish
3) Good book but not a literary giant
4) Really excellent book
5) Really excellent, literary style excellent, should make it to the 1001 books you should read before you die

Most of my books are in the 3 stars category, but I think 3 stars is a good rating

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments 1 star- stopped reading because i was bored out of my mind.

2 stars- just okay. finished it, but nothing i would recommend.

3 stars- liked it alright, but it lacked something (character development, etc).

4 stars- enjoyed reading it, might recommend it.

5 stars- couldn't put it down, good all around, would definitely recommend it.

message 4: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments 0 star = didn't finish
1 star = Finished but barely...and wouldn't recommend to anyone
2 stars = Didn't meant my expectatins, probaby won't recommend to anyone
3 stars = Decent/average book, possibly recommend
4 stars = Good book, enjoyed it and would recommend to others
5 stars = Great book, sad to finish it, would always recommend to others

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) 1 star = crap/hated it/couldn't finish it
2 stars = eh! finished it even though i didn't like it
3 stars = good not great
4 stars = really good
5 stars = amazing/loved it

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) 1 Star- A disgrace to literature, burn it
2 Stars- A waste of my reading time, could have read something better
3 Stars- Good, but not my favorite
4 Stars- Wonderful Book
5 Stars- Awesome Book, will definitely recommend, others should read, should be in the Book Hall of Fame if there is one.

message 7: by Faith (last edited Jul 09, 2008 04:51PM) (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 39 comments i'd have to agree wholeheartedly with meg. that is how i rate my books pretty much exactly. i must admit though i don't even put my 1 or 2 star books on my books list. i just have the 3 to 5.

1 Star-couldn't finish it not worth finishing even
2 Star-not a good book but finished it barely, didn't like it
3 Star-liked it but no literary achievement awards, fun reads
4 Star-excellent book, loved it
5 Star-excellent characters, excellent story, read it over and over again, changed my life in some way.

message 8: by Holli (new)

Holli Great question Tera!! As usual ;) I've never really thought about this.....I'm pretty liberal with the stars I think. Unless I really hate the book but even then I'd probably still give it one.

1 star----couldn't finish it, hated it, don't care to ever go back and try it.

2 stars-----you might be able to persuade me it had good points but I doubt it.

3 stars---eh...it was all right. Not great but it didn't suck. I finished it at least.

4 stars----I really liked this book. I could read it again and I read it quickly.

5 stars----BEST BOOK EVER. No seriously....I give 5 stars when a book makes me think, it stays with me after I read it, I learn something from it, and I want to own it.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments Well for me its a sort of guide for not only the stars but what category I list it as...Some books are just to entertain with no absolute thought behind them...those would be my bath-tub reads, so if I rate those high its because they were very entertaining and I had FUN reading them, not that they were suberbly written and should be read by everyone! If there is something "special" or "frustrating as hell" I will review it in words to describe my complete meaning! Personally I wish the scale was 1-10 or the half star ability because I have different levels of like and dislike! Especially a half star for something that truely sucks!

1 star- hated it, don't even wish that on my worst enemy! (okay maybe my worst one at times)

2 stars-I was probably reading it because it was either recommended to me, for a book-club or the "flap" led me to believe it was better than it really was, very disappointing!

3 stars-it was in the middle, its wasn't bad , but not great either or I was just indifferent when I read it or did the update. Its probably something that I liked but would not re-read the book as often like I do with so many others. I would be very careful on how I recommended it to others.

4 stars-I really liked this book! Bordering on LOVING it. I could read it again and I read it quickly. I most likely own a copy...if its in a series I probably am frustrated because I now have to wait till the next installment!!

5 stars-I own it, love it, looking to read everything by that author!!

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments Leslie- I agree about book type. The criteria I listed are strictly for novels. Beauty-related, gender studies, humor, etc., are judged quite differently.

message 11: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) I'm trying to be more critical with my stars.

5= Among the best I've ever read. I would recommend it to others.
4= A good read, I would recommend it.
3= I liked it.
2= I'm questioning why I read it, but I always start what I finish.
1= Don't even bother.

message 12: by Andrea (last edited Jul 11, 2008 07:58AM) (new)

Andrea (andreag) | 74 comments 0 stars - read and finished it, but so long ago, I can't remember any strong impression one way or the other.

1 star - did not finish and never will - poorly written or just plain awful.

2 stars - not my cup of tea, but I can see how other people might like it. Won't read it again.

3 stars - liked it fine but lacking something, probably would read something else by same author. Sometimes part of a series, but not one of the better ones. Once was probably enough.

4 stars - really enjoyed the reading esperience would recommend it to others. Might read again.

5 stars - one of my favorites, knocked my socks off, will read it again (and again).

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 0 comments I have a really hard time with the stars system personally. Sorry I haven't posted in a while - just got back from vacation and feel refreshed and ready to take on the world ;)

1 star - worst book I have ever read, hardly know why I read it in the first place (I usually don't add books I haven't read so these are rare since most books I hate and can't get into I don't actually finish)

2 stars - The book was pretty bad/hard to get into/no good wrap up at the end/disliked the writing style/wouldn't be able to recommend to others.

3 stars - OK book. Parts I like, parts I don't. Glad I read it, but not something I could really get into

4 stars - I really liked it, an overall good read, was able to get into it, enjoyed the plot. Would recommend the book.

5 stars - Best book I have ever read (very rare that I would give this rating.) Loved the plot, well-written, couldn't put it down, would even consider reading it again. A keeper on my book shelf (in real life)