Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive > HAPPY 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Slayermel (last edited Sep 21, 2010 07:11PM) (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Happy 2 year Anniversary Pick-a-Shelf family :0)

Wow, 2 years since this fabulous group was created by Karen and membership has grown by leaps and bounds. We have all shared laughs together and supported each other when stepping out of our comfort zone in the monthly challenges. As a means of reflection and celebration we thought it would be nice to look back on our 2 years and discuss things that really make you feel such a part of pick-a-shelf. To help get you started here are some things you can discuss, feel free to expand on your own as well.

1. What have you enjoyed the most while being a member of the group?
2. Favourite book you have read that you may never have discovered if it were not for pick a shelf :0)?
3. Favourite challenge?
4. Favourite Monthly shelf so far....?
5. Something that a member may have done for you that meant a lot or was helpful?
6. Something you have discovered about yourself that you may not have known before?

Happy Anniversary everyone, I hope we have many more years together :0)
I can’t wait to read what you all come up with!

message 2: by Slayermel (last edited Sep 21, 2010 07:10PM) (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Where to begin....

I have enjoyed reading all the fabulous book reviews everyone leaves during the monthly shelves, and thanks to them my Mount TBR is constantly growing.

I thank everyone who recommended “The Hunger Games”, “The Lightning Thief” and “The Thirteenth Tale” I fell in love with the two series and just adored the thirteenth tale. I would never have picked up any of those books if it were not for all of you.

I would have to say my favourite challenges so far have been the current one “you choose challenge” and I was a fan of the “shelf-a-thon” :0D

My favourite shelf so far, hmmm...that’s a hard one, I guess my top three would have been “Paranormal”, “historical fiction” and “romance” in that order

I am still very thankful for the vote of confidence that all the members of this group gave me when they put up a poll and recommended Luann and me as group moderators when Karen was unable to Log on for a while due to family circumstances. I’m also very thankful to Karen for trusting Luann and I to continue and grow the Pick-a-shelf group into the exciting and fun group it’s turned out to be.
(We do have the best members) *bragging rights have been earned by all, your always so helpful and supportive of each other, and that means a lot*

Something that I discovered about myself as a member of this group was that I really did limit my reading categories and I was missing out on a lot of great books due to this fact. Pick-a-shelf has helped me broaden my reading comfort zone. (I’m thinking specifically of “the red tent”, “a child called it!”, “The Hunger Games”....) Oh my the list goes on way to long :0)

message 3: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 174 comments 2 years. wow. What have I enjoyed the most? Not only the book recommendations, but the constant support and encouragement that flies around this group, in all sorts of ways.
I haven't really found a favourite book but a whole bunch, and my reading rut has been busted wide open. Not only that, but where I get books from and how I read them has changed.
Favourite challenge was the shelf-a-thon. But I never want to do it again! Favourite monthly shelf: Asian.
Something a member did for me: well Luann has been really helpful when the technical challenge of doing something stumps me. And someone picked me for shelf picker!
Something I have learned about myself: I didn't think much about a book once I finished it before. Now that I write a "review" after each one (inverted commas because they wouldn't pass a formal assessment, but I don't care) I actually think more about the books, and remember them.
Enough from me, who's next?

message 4: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Well, this is my first month with the group but I'm really enjoying it. I anxiously await the announcement of next month's shelf and I am enjoying the challenge of the "you choose challenge". Hats off to those of you that are trying to read 100 books. And while I love to glean info from my friends' book lists I find myself pulling up some of your book lists as well.

I have also been impressed with the positive attitude here. It seem that so often these "faceless" forums turn into places for arguments and debates.

Thanks for welcoming me in!

message 5: by Cam (new)

Cam 1. What have I enjoyed most about this group? Without qn it has to be the people - I know it sounds sucky but as Lahni has stated above (& she's right onto it) - there is a lovely positive dynamic to the group.

2. Favourite book that I owe completely to Pick a Shelf is Kindred By Octavia E. Butler, I fluked it for Science Fiction month, as I had nothing on my Mt.Bedsidetable for that genre. I LOURVED it and now am working my way through Octavia's complete collection. YOU HAVE TO ADD THIS BOOK TO YOUR LISTS!!!!!!

3. For favourite challenge - Shelf
a Thon was the best & if we EVER do it again, (here, here, Sunflower) it will be too soon!!!!!!!!!

Will come back and answer the rest later have run out of time........xxxxxxx

message 6: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Cam- I just added Kindred to my "to read" list. I had never heard of it before. Thanks.

message 7: by Cam (last edited Sep 22, 2010 04:19PM) (new)

Cam Lahni wrote: "Cam- I just added Kindred to my "to read" list. I had never heard of it before. Thanks."

You won't be sorry Lahni, it's really very special!......unbelievably sad & heart stoppingly scary. So authentic, I was right there with Dana every step of the way.

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) I just joined this group so I haven't read any books. I just want to say Happy 2nd Anniversary!!

message 9: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Sep 24, 2010 12:45PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
I can't believe it has been two years, although, I haven't been around the whole time, but Congrats to Karen, Slayermel, and Luann for the great group.

1. Pick-a-shelf was the first group that I joined on Goodreads and is still my favorite. I enjoyed the concept of reading from a different shelf each month. I have to say, though, that my favorite thing about the group is the people that I have met and the wonderful conversations that we have had. Some are just fun, some are zany, but I think the people in this group are the best!

2. I think that the favorite book that I have read that I would not have picked otherwise would have to be either The Giver or Never Let Me Go, but truthfully, there have been so many that I have seen on others lists and reviews, and that all of my friends here have recommended, that it is hard to pick.

3. My Favorite Challenge also was the Shelf-a-thon, and I would love to do it again. I know they took it over to The Next Best Book Club, but since we had it first, maybe we could do a version here again?? I think it is the only challenge that I have not totally bombed!

4. My favorite monthly shelf so far is a hard one. I like so many. I know what my least favorites have been, but favorite is harder to come up with. My favorite genre is Historical Fiction, so I liked that one, but the one that I probably read the most books for was Mystery-Thriller. That may be because they are quicker, faster reads, though. Then there was the French shelf, which was the biggest surprise as far as how much I liked the books.

4. A number of members have done things that deserve mention here. From the very first, many of you made me feel very at home and welcome. Thanks to all of you for that. I especially would like to thank Cam for finding the cookbook regarding unusual food allergies. Both my great niece and great nephew have food allergies, and my niece and her family have really enjoyed using the book. Lastly, I would like to thank everyone who have recommended great books to me, or helped me to find books in certain areas, most notably J. Travis, who has shared his great knowledge of Medieval Germany with me, and again, Cam who always points me toward great books.

6. One thing that I have discovered about myself is that I am a more eclectic reader than and thought, and that I LOVE writing book reviews, lol. I already knew I loved reading and talking.

Happy Anniversary all!!

Cam wrote: "1. What have I enjoyed most about this group? Without qn it has to be the people - I know it sounds sucky but as Lahni has stated above (& she's right onto it) - there is a lovely positive dynamic ..."

How did I miss this one?? It sounds great. I have just added it to my top tier.

message 11: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments I agree with everyone who has mentioned the great people who make this group so fun to participate in! I also love the chance to step outside my literary comfort zone - and the fact that I'm not doing it alone.

There are many books that I've read just because of this group. The one that comes to mind first because I was really really glad I read it and I know I never would have read it without this group (for the psychology shelf) is Man's Search for Meaning.

How can I pick ONE favorite challenge? I had never participated in book challenges before joining this group and now I would feel lost if I wasn't doing at least some sort of book challenge! :) I'll have to think about that one and post some more later.

(BTW, thanks for the recommendation, Cam! I've added Kindred to my TBR. The Kindle version is only $4, so I'll probably read it that way.)

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2149 comments 1. I love being introduced to other genres that I would normally never read. Then, seeing what others have enjoyed or hated helps me to make selections to add to my TBR list.
2. I actually loved a few series I found thanks to this group. The Hunger Games, Chaos Walking, and Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogies are all excellent.
3. I have loved all of the challenges...keep them coming!
4. Favorite monthly shelves would have to be dystopia and YA, because they are where I was introduced to the trilogies above.
5. I like the helpful hints given that help manage the Goodreads site (like sorting books by number of pages).
6. I used to be a pretty one-dimensional reader who gravitated toward mysteries and thrillers. Thanks to this group, I have learned that I like everything from YA to historical fiction to paranormal. Pick-a-Shelf has really broadened my horizons, and I am so happy to have found this great group of terrific people!

message 13: by Cam (new)

Cam Lyn M wrote: "I can't believe it has been two years, although, I haven't been around the whole time, but Congrats to Karen, Slayermel, and Luann for the great group.

1. Pick-a-shelf was the first group that I..."

Lyn, I am delighted that the cookbook has been of use to your family, it's definitely been one of my favourite things to be able to share here as well to be honest. We make the chocolate self saucing pudding nearly every weekend (and it tastes exactly like the real thing). Pick 'a' Shelf helped us share the love of the pudding Lyn!!!!!

message 14: by Tara (last edited Sep 24, 2010 07:33PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments 1. Like Lyn, Pick-a-shelf was the first group I tried on Goodreads that was not a face to face group. I loved the idea expanding my reading horizons. I have been in the group over a year, and I still love reading off the monthly shelves and doing the challenges!

2. I really enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha (which I read for a challenge) and Cork Boat (which I know I would never have read if it weren't for the Travel shelf).

3. I love the challenges on here...but I would have to say the Beach Blanket challenge was my favorite...because it was the only one I have finished :)

4. I loved the Dystopia and Psychology shelves. Looking back I still look at the Travel shelf with fondness...because I remember the "Oh crap" feeling I had when it was revealed and my amazement at reading 3 great books that month.

5. I love reading everyone's reviews. This group has so many great people in it. Doing a Challenge is so fun in this group, because people cheer you on! I love looking at my "you choose" thread and seeing people's comments! I still look back to the Beach Blanket challenge and remember everyone's comments and words of encouragement for everyone who attempted the challenge.

6. Like others, I did not realize how much I gravitated to certain genres. I think I really have diversified my reading. I think the choice to join this group has helped me move outside my comfort zone in another way too. I am not sure if it was just me, but I remember being so nervous the first time I posted a review for the group. Although it is on the computer, I still was nervous about joining. Thank you to everyone who made me feel welcome in the group, and because of this experience I went on to join other groups on GR (and love them too).

Sorry for the novel. :)

Well said, Tara.

message 16: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Tara very well put and it's not just you. The first time I had to post anything on the internet I was very nervous.

message 17: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod | 221 comments 1. I love reading all the great comments from the other members. This is a very active and fun group.
2. Year of Wonders and The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
3. Bookshelf challenge
4. History
5. I am glad someone suggested the Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Society to me
6. I really like historical fiction. I didn't realize that I liked that genre before this group.

message 18: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Like others, I have really enjoyed finding books to read that are outside of my comfort zone. I also appreciate the fact that one of the things I will miss most during my recoop from surgery are my regular trips here to the group.

My 2 favorites that I never would have read w/o this group are "Bless Me, Ultima" and "The Giver".

I can never finish the challenges so I don't have a favorite.

My favorite shelves so far have been the ones that centered on a certain country. I have found it really interesting to read several books at a time by or about various places. I think it gives insight into the culture and psyche of the area.

I appreciate many things. My sister, who got me into the group and on to GR in general. The group of us who recommend books for our teens to read has been great. Finally, I appreciate all the kind comments about how clever my titles are and how much I contribute to the group.

I have made many friends here and would like to meet several of you face to face someday. :)

message 19: by CassandraJulia (new)

CassandraJulia (goodreadscomcassandraj) | 11 comments Wow! I have just found this group and it sounds fabulous! I'm an ex-editor and just finished up 3 years' part-time work at a bookshop (yes, it was a dream job!) I love the idea of being forced out of my comfort zone (historical fiction..:-) and being able to discuss the books with people. Great idea! Cassandra

message 20: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Welcome to Pick-a-Shelf, Cassandra!

Welcome to the group Cassandra. It is a great group and I'm sure you will like it!

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura Lyseight | 1 comments Hi Cassandra,

Would you like to do a book review for teens, titled TEEN BEAT FUTURE ECONOMIC CRISIS. This book might not necessarily be the genre you read, but would love your review on it.

Thanks A Zillion,
Laura.

message 23: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Welcome to the group, Cassandra. It is a fun group and great to be a part of!

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
1. What have you enjoyed the most while being a member of the group?
Broadening my horizons is close to the top, of course. But what I've really enjoyed most is the feeling of getting to know so many of you -- rather than just reading reviews from people I don't know, I get suggestions, answers, & comments from those of you in the group. Putting them in the context of other things I know you've liked and recommended makes them more helpful in deciding whether I want to read a particular book or not.

2. Favourite book you have read that you may never have discovered if it were not for pick a shelf :0)?
That's a tough one. Probably Wild Swans, for history month.

3. Favourite challenge?
I skipped the chain challenge, right after I joined the group, but I really enjoyed
the Bookshelf challenge, and the current "You Choose" challenge. Don't know if I could pick between the two. I wasn't here for the Shelf-a-thon, but so many of you loved it that I second those who suggest it happen again.

Since I only joined this year, my only experience with many of the shelves has been through the Bookshelf challenge. Mystery and Science Fiction have been long-time favorite categories. So I guess I'd have to choose Dystopia: I hadn't even thought of it as a genre, and now I'm hooked!

5. Something that a member may have done for you that meant a lot or was helpful?
I'm so appreciative that Lyn M. recommend Christ Bohjalian. I first read Midwives, while I was searching for something to read during Chick-Lit month. And I'm sure I'll now read everything he's written.

6. Something you have discovered about yourself that you may not have known before?
How easy it is to get pulled into a challenge and really want to squeeze in a little more time to read just one more book. I didn't expect to feel quite so competitive. Reading has always been my favorite method of relaxation, so the idea that anything would actually push me to read more had never occurred to me.

I also echo what Sunflower wrote about the benefit of thinking more about a book afterwards in order to review it. It is something that really enhances what I get out of a book.

message 25: by onarock (new)

onarock | 107 comments hey there everyone......i can't find, and i think it was already explained to me, please bear/bare with me.....lol.....where i can start a thread.....i would like to get people's opinions on something.....authors and writers mainly????

thanx
k

message 26: by Crystal (new)

Crystal 1. What have you enjoyed the most while being a member of the group?
I love interacting about the books and reading what other people have to say.

2. Favourite book you have read that you may never have discovered if it were not for pick a shelf? Why Girls are Weird (the add book function isn't working right now sorry). It was very funny and when I talked about it with my sister, she had to read it. She hadn't read a complete book in years. She liked it so much it inspired her to even read a second book in one week. It's not that fantastic, but it hit our funny bone and anything that gets my sister to read is pretty impressive.

3. Favourite challenge?
I like the "You Choose" challenge, but have not really been a part of the group long enough to know if they are this good or better.

I liked Chick Lit just because it sent me back to the type of stuff I haven't been reading for awhile, but used to read all the time. And...they were hilarious.

I appreciate the recommendations.

I have become a multiple book reader. I never used to read so many books simultaneously.

message 27: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nchhynes) | 55 comments As of 10-31-2010, we've read exactly 900 books! Way to go, Pick-A-Shelf!

message 28: by Slayermel (last edited Oct 31, 2010 08:01PM) (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for paying attention to that Natalie I totally missed that :0)

message 29: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments WOW!! That's amazing, Natalie. Thanks for noticing.