Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Physical Book Description

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Xander,

We can do that in our private notes or in our reviews.

But, each book entry is in a database with nearly 4 million members. Each book entry is not for one member only. So, one member's book may be signed, another of the exact same edition might not be signed. One of the same edition might have a dust jacket, another might be missing theirs.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Sep 21, 2010 07:11PM) (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
Also, this kind of format suggestion is for the Feedback Group. This group has to do with maintaining the shared database of books; we don't/can't change how the systems works, for the most part.

Edit: Unless you mean adding such a field for the general book description in the database. In which this STILL isn't really the place, plus I agree with Lisa.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Xander wrote: "I meant books with official signatures (books with actual printed areas for the author's signature)."

I have never seen such a thing.

I do not have the ability (as far as I know, it can't be done!) to moves posts from this group to another group. The Feedback Group is the other official GR group.

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Xander wrote: ">Hi Lisa,
Sorry if I was unclear, but I meant books with official signatures (books with actual printed areas for the author's signature). Unofficial signatures would of course be denoted by a per..."

I have one of these books - the dust jacket has a gold label "signed first edition" and the page prior to the title page says "this signed edition of ------ has been specially bound by the publisher." Then there's a line where the author has signed. I was under the impression that official signed editions might have a different ISBN? I'm not sure though.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Interesting! I have signed first editions, but they weren't a special edition -- I went to book signings (or purchased signed books from author websites).

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments If it's a different ISBN, and if it is true for all copies of that edition, there is already a place to put it in the book description page - in the Edition field.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Good point, Carolyn.