Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

SCORE!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 157 (157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Sep 21, 2010 03:42PM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Okay.. Since the onslaught of my (much enjoyable) unemployment status, I have only found one reason to complain. My lack of ability to go on 'book buying frenzies'.. UGH!!

So, I allowed myself to do so 2day.. and PHEW.. I feel SO much better.. I strolled into Value Village and walked out rich in the literary.. Most I haven't even heard of, but the covers were so damn pretty, I had to buy them.

Who else does this?

Here are my treasures, which, I must add, ONLY cost me $20.00. I did good if I may say so.

Possession by A.S. Byatt The Remedy A Novel by Michelle Lovric The Conquest by Elizabeth Chadwick Circle of Stones by Anna Lee Waldo Hiding from the Light by Barbara Erskine Pandora (New Tales of the Vampires, Book 1) by Anne Rice Vittorio The Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires, #2) by Anne Rice The Hearts of Soldiers A Novel by Joan Vannorsdall Schroeder and then, I grabbed 2 books for my exchange students who have never... never... (brace yourselves) READ A BOOK!!! I know, I know.. Tragic.. So I picked these up for them.. The Green Mile by Stephen King Dreamcatcher by Stephen King .. simply because I've made it my lifes mission, for these 2 to have read atleast ONE novel, before returning to their countries.

message 2: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Sep 21, 2010 02:54PM) (new)

P.S... Can Someone please add a photo to the Maggie Gee book I bought... 'Christopher and Alexandra' here is a link to the book...
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/m....

Thanks.. :)

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 21, 2010 02:56PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r)

Not sure why GR isn't capable of finding cover images to add.

I stink at resizing.

message 4: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

LMAO... Cool. Are you a Librarian Stacia? Could you add it to the GR link for this book.. Or have you already?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm not one. Never really thought about it before. Do you just sign up?

message 6: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I don't have a clue.. Otherwise I would have done so. I'm not even sure what it all entails. I just want the title under my name, make me feel Important. ;)

message 7: by willaful (new)

willaful I put the pic in.

Shell, could you do me a favor and see if your copy has anything in it about a former title? I was trying to get more info about the book and it looks like either a retitling or a sequel to a book caled Where are the Snows but it's not clear to me.

Anyone can be a librarian, you just have to have shelved a certain number of books. Librarians add pictures and correct info--it's a nice thing to do if you have some knowledge about books and some free time. I can't actually remember how I signed up, but I'm sure you can figure it out since I did. ;-)

message 8: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Hey Willaful.. Thankyou. I can't see anything that says its a re-titled book.

message 9: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Perfect.. Thank-You Willaful. I can't seem to see anything that says its a retitled book.

message 10: by willaful (new)

willaful I found a source that confirmed it, so went ahead and added the info. Apparently C&A is the American title.

message 11: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Oh.. Okay, so they are the same book? It looks good, sad though.

message 12: by willaful (new)

willaful Pretty sure they are. You could check out the blurb on yours, see if it sounds similar to the blurb for Where Are the Snows.

Also, C&A could use a description, if you feel like typing one out. There is very little available for it online.

message 13: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Sep 21, 2010 04:42PM) (new)

Here is from the Inside of the book,

'This powerful love story, is charged by the feirce clash of desire and responsibility. A dashing couple, Christopher and Alexandra Court realize the universal daydream of abandoning the realities of daily life for a never-ending vacation. They must also, of course, face the consequences.

Even after 12 years of marraige, Christopher and Alexandra share a passion that crackles with sexual electricity and attracts envy wherever they go. But at home, Christopher's teenage children by his first wife resent Alexandra and demand attention. So, making suitable provisions for the children they take off for a vacation from which they simply, never return.

Twenty Five years later, Chris is in Venice pining for Alex; she is in South America, trying to adopt a child. The story of Christopher and Alexandra's life together, and apart, unfolding in scenes of passion and betrayal, leads to the confrontation that snaps them back to reality'

message 14: by willaful (new)

willaful Thanks Shell!

message 15: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

NP.. and Thank-you.

message 16: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) A Contemporary !! And it sounds pretty good,maybe good enough to get me out of this reading doldrums I am in.Thanks for the info.

message 17: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Ya, I thought it looked good too, Kathy Anne.

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I just got these two at my library for .50 cents each:

Embraced by Love by Suzanne Brockmann Imitation in Death (In Death, #17) by J.D. Robb

message 19: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Love it, when that happens.

message 20: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Sep 27, 2010 07:53AM) (new)

So Regina and I were chattin, and have thought this should be the thread where we can boast about our incredible finds.. Great books, Great Deals.. etc, etc.
We all have 'em.. why not brag about them...

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan | 135 comments bought The Elusive Bride (Black Cobra Quartet, #2) by Stephanie Laurens , Scottish Brides  by Christina Dodd , and Men in Kilts by Katie MacAlister at my library for 50 cents each

message 22: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Wow, the Elusive Bride is practically brand new, isnt it Megan?

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan | 135 comments it was published in February 2010, but its actually very worn looking. I can't complain for 50 cents though!

message 24: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

No doubt..

message 25: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Some more finds.. at a local book fair.. got 'em for a buck each.. No idea if they are any good.. Just that the covers were great.. lol

By the Light of My Father's Smile by Alice Walker Your Mouth Is Lovely A Novel by Nancy Richler Cloud Mountain by Aimee Liu The Company of Strangers by Robert Wilson

message 26: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Oct 26, 2010 01:33PM) (new)

Okay... I am truly disturbed.. Recent purchases update.. The Forest by Edward Rutherfurd Sarum The Novel of England by Edward Rutherfurd The Princes of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #1) by Edward Rutherfurd London The Novel by Edward Rutherfurd The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough The Eagle & the Raven by Pauline Gedge Prairie  by Anna Lee Waldo Dancers of Fortune by Lee Dunne and only because I couldn't resist... The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons .. I didn't have this copy... Lol.

message 27: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

See 'The Bronze Horseman' thread for my latest... SUPER DUPER... WAY TOO COOL Score...

message 28: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments OMG! Reading up on all the posts on this thread and again,OMG!! I don't know you all but... I think I love you!!
Buy books just 'cause they're pretty?? Well... yaaaa! That's how I selected half my library! LOL! Rutherfords Princes of Ireland, The Forest. London, which btw I picked up at Hastings for a buck, huge hardback, in great condition! I Know!!!
Thanks again Shell for the invite, I feel... I've found my utopia!

message 29: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Ladyhawk wrote: "OMG! Reading up on all the posts on this thread and again,OMG!! I don't know you all but... I think I love you!!
Buy books just 'cause they're pretty?? Well... yaaaa! That's how I selected half m..."

Hhahahah.. I figured it may have been.. I am very glad you joined Ladyhawk...

message 30: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

*************WARNING*************

Being unemployed with a lot of time on my hands is hazardous to ones financial health... especially when one has a indestrucible love for books.. and as Ladyhawk says... Especialy 'Pretty' books...

Okay.. another venture into Value Village today... LOVE that store..

Anyways.. these are my latest finds...

Jessica by Bryce Courtenay This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen Maurice. by E.M. Forster Shanghai Girls by Lisa See The Rebels of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #2) by Edward Rutherfurd Saving Max by Antoinette van Heugten Daughter of the Sun by Barbara Wood The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón < which I must take a moment hear, to inform you all that I am the epitome of the compulsive book buyer.. As I have ordered this book already, and currently waiting for its arrival.. Now I have 2...

And continued....

The Outlander by Gil Adamson The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory

all of these.. cost me a whopping.. Ready ladies???.........

$22.75....

message 31: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Well given the vibe of this group so far, I'm going out on a limb to say we are probably very like minded and share in your compulsion! Although you may be a step or two ahead of me. Your VV sounds like my Hastings! Its a huge warehouse of a building that sells and rents videos, video games, and lots of new and used books! I love their used book selection! They have tremendous deals and I can usually find something on my tbr list!
I am sure you can empathize with that angels singing moment everytime I walk in there and smell the aroma from the cafe mingled with the tantilizing scent of row after row of beautiful books!
Sending good vibes to ya for a remedy for your unemployment situation. Was there myself not too long ago. Thats when I became addicted to Ladies of Lallybroch. Lol

message 32: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Oh, and I have read the Boleyn Inheritance. Did u already read The Other Boleyn Girl? Enjoyed them both. Loved the Tudors series and books on the wives of Henry VIII fuel that interest!

message 33: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Ladyhawk wrote: "Oh, and I have read the Boleyn Inheritance. Did u already read The Other Boleyn Girl? Enjoyed them both. Loved the Tudors series and books on the wives of Henry VIII fuel that interest!"

I love 'The Tudors' too... And no, I haven't read either, but I do have the first one.

message 34: by Leea (new)

Leea Like most of you i live for the day when my husband walks up the driveway carrying a heavy box filled with... BOOKS!!!

Just in today:
Love Only Once (Malory Family, #1) by Johanna Lindsey Tender Rebel (Malory Family, #2) by Johanna Lindsey Gentle Rogue (Malory Family, #3) by Johanna Lindsey The Magic of You (Malory Family, #4) by Johanna Lindsey Say You Love Me (Malory Family, #5) by Johanna Lindsey The Present (Malory Family, #6) by Johanna Lindsey A Loving Scoundrel (Malory Family, #7) by Johanna Lindsey Captive of My Desires (Malory Family, #8) by Johanna Lindsey No Choice But Seduction (Mallory Family, #9) by Johanna Lindsey

Never read any Johanna Lindsay so we will see how i like her :)

Have all the other KMM Highlander books but somehow missed #3
The Highlander's Touch by Karen Marie Moning

Some Like It Wicked  by Teresa Medeiros Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highlander, #2) by Teresa Medeiros

Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street Runners, #1) by Lisa Kleypas
Why i only ordered this one... all i can say is 2 boys running around :) Better order the rest :)

Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas

Thanks for letting me share my happy moment :)

message 35: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I love Johanna Lindsey..Enjoy.

message 36: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Nov 12, 2010 03:21PM) (new)

Okay... Just picked up today...

Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb The Redemption of Alexander Seaton (Alexander Seaton, #1) by Shona Maclean Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death, #1) by Ariana Franklin
Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough Alice in Exile by Piers Paul Read Black Ice (Ice, #1) by Anne Stuart Children of the Lion (Children of the Lion #1) by Peter Danielson The Mallow Years (Coronet Books) by Audrey Howard

message 37: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Can a librarian please add a photo for 'The Mallow Years'?

message 38: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Nevermind.. I found it... Lol

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I've heard lots of good things about the Ice series, Shell. Let me know if you like it.

message 40: by willaful (new)

willaful I so scored at the UBS yesterday! I got The Secret Duke by Jo Beverley Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs Dirty by Megan Hart Light Raid by Connie Willis

And today I finally figured out how to download audiobooks from NetLibrary! Am going to be a busy girl...

message 41: by Leea (new)

Leea willaful, do share... what's Netlibrary??

message 42: by willaful (last edited Nov 18, 2010 09:50PM) (new)

willaful It's a library of ebooks and audiobooks; my library subscribes to it so it's free, but the process of getting anything seemed very torturous and I never managed it. But I finally got the missing link and after that, it was far simpler than using OverDrive Media (another service my library subscribes to.) I have yet to figure out the ebooks, but perhaps that will be my next triumph. :-)

message 43: by Leea (new)

Leea oh that sounds so awesome... Thinking of buying a Kindle. Thanks for sharing :)

message 44: by Leea (new)

Leea Okay so here is what the husband brought home a few day's ago... He's great with lists when traveling and comes upon a used book store :) I'm on lucky girl!!!

When Strangers Marry (Vallerands, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Stranger in My Arms by Lisa Kleypas

Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux okay i had this already but don't tell him :)

Mountain Laurel (Montgomery, #8) by Jude Deveraux The Invitation (Montgomery, #14) by Jude Deveraux High Tide (Montgomery Saga, #17) by Jude Deveraux Someone to Love (Montgomery, #21) by Jude Deveraux
Trying to finish up the Montgomery series... with 21 books, some are hard to find

Let me know if you've read any of these? Thanks!!

message 45: by willaful (new)

willaful That is one fine husband.

message 46: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Holy cricket! Really?!? Your husband came home with these? I don't think my husband knows what a used book store is!

message 47: by Leea (new)

Leea He does... I will say that once a man working at the used book store asked him if these books (Historical Romance w/ super sexy covers) were his. He said some I'm a MAN thing to the clerk and got mad... that was a set back for me :) He knows reading makes me happy and He just wants me happy - I know i'm lucky:)

message 48: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments Yes, you are a very lucky lady indeed!

message 49: by Wan (last edited Nov 21, 2010 10:18AM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 143 comments Does he have a single brother?

message 50: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

LOL.....

« previous 1 3 4