Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > Sony E-Reader PRS-600 Touch Edition

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm thinking of buying an e-reader, and I have been looking into the Sony PRS-600 Touch Edition.

I'm wondering if anybody here have any experience with this reader, and if you can share with me any feedback.

Karen ~ Divhine (karenjs) I bought my Sony PRS 600 about 6 months ago and I love it. The main reason I purchased the PRS 600 is the memory card capability. You can transfer any of your books from the reader to the memory card. If you decide you want to re-read a book on the card, just insert into the reader and the book is there. The reader itself holds approximately 300 books. I was told a SanDisk 4 GB holds about 300 books. Therefore, it has endless capabilities. You also can purchase books easily from the Reader Store (the prices seem to be comparable). The Sony on-line help is good too. Hope this helps.

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments That's great information, Karen.

People have been talking about a glare with this unit. Can you tell me if it bother your eyes?

Karen ~ Divhine (karenjs) I haven't had any trouble with glare. You can read it in sunlight, but not at night as it is not "back-lit". Therefore, as I am always reading, in the car as well, I bought the cover with the book light. It is really nice. Karen

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Yz - do you have a best buy or anything near you? ARAIK, Best Buy is carrying the Sony/Nook and soon to be Kindle, so you can check them out...personally, I have a kindle so i'm biased...lol!

message 6: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "Yz - do you have a best buy or anything near you? ARAIK, Best Buy is carrying the Sony/Nook and soon to be Kindle, so you can check them out...personally, I have a kindle so i'm biased...lol!"

LOL....

I have been researching and researching...and I have changed my minds far too often on this matter.

Best Buy? Okay, I can do that. I was planning to stop by at a Barnes and Noble to look at the Nook, but if I can find a place where I can actually do some comparisons that will be better.

Can't do the Kindle. It's a little too high for my price range. : )

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments the kindle is down to 139 for a wifi only and 189 for a wifi and 3g which is comparable with the nook and the sony

message 8: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "the kindle is down to 139 for a wifi only and 189 for a wifi and 3g which is comparable with the nook and the sony"

Hmmm.....

But I plan to use my ereader to borrow library e-books through Overdrive.com and I don't think their format will work with a Kindle. I think that is the reason, why I took the Kindle off my list.

Still thanks for the info, Dee.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments yeah, they don't...i'm debating picking up the sony pocket edition for library books (but it wasn't a selling point for me before)...but i know a lot of the library ebooks i've looked at (popular ones) have huge wait lists - like the girl with the dragon tattoo...65 people on the wait list...that is over a year of waiting

message 10: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments I have the Sony PRS-600 - hubby and kids bought it for me for my birthday last year. I will still always buy paperbacks but given where I live, there are certain books not available on the shelves here - M/M, erotica, etc - so I use it primarily to obtain those. Yes, there is a slight reflection in certain indoor light conditions but if you alter the angle slightly away from you, it's fine. Whilst I was in the UK over the summer I purchased the cover with the inbuilt light so now I can read in bed without disturbing the husband, or on night flights when travelling. I would definitely recommend one of those. I also purchased the AC power adapter so I can charge it up without having to hook it up to the PC. Again, highly recommended.

message 11: by Elke (new)

Elke (ejurca) | 1810 comments I have also been debating on getting a reader. I feel that if I have it I would want to buy all the books as soon as they come out(which is not in the budget). If using the library,like Dee said the hold might be really long. Which in either case I would still go to the library to get the actual book. Plus...(this might be weird but) I love the smell of books! I would miss that!

I have Kindle on my blackberry so I am trying it out. They have some free books available..but not really the ones I want. I just finished The Ice Princess and it cost me $1.99..wasn't too bad but it isn't a full novel.

message 12: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 254 comments I have a Reader. I love that I can check out library books, I can expand the memory by getting a bigger card. I can read epub and pdf formats. Honestly, it can be a little annoying to have to move the Reader around a bit when using the cover with the light to have to avoid glare. It's great when reading outside or under normal light. Good luck with your decision. I love my Reader.

message 13: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I still haven't made up my mind completely. I saw an ad for Barnes & Noble's Nook. I'm contemplating of checking it out, too.

message 14: by Miss (new)

Miss | 330 comments I have a PRS-505, it does not have a touchscreen but i find i don't need one. It is very easy to use and reads many formats, lrf, epub(the most important one), but also word and pdf. The only thing that i felt missing over the 2 years i've had it is the text-to-speech the kindle has. Sometimes i would have liked to listen to the story i was currently reading during the 5-10 min it usually takes me to fall asleep.:)

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) | 67 comments Wel, I had to jump in this conversation, because I'm searching for an ereader myself. I was seriously considering buying the Nook, because the many formats it supports, but read somewhere that quite a lot of people find its touch screen slow to response sometimes. Has anyone noticed this?

I'm thinking of Sony Pocket PRS 300 myself, because I'm afraid of the usability of touch screens. I'd like to be able to buy books from sites besides Amazon basically -plus load the PDFs I already own- but borrowing books is not required for me (I live outside US).

Yz, I recently saw that Sony has released a 605 touch version that has an improved, non-glaring screen. Perhaps you want to check it out?

Macwolf01 [Elise] (macwolf01) | 1012 comments Anyone here try the Kobo? I'm also in the big debate but in Canada we can't get the Nook so I've been debating between the Sony Readers, Kindle and the Kobo ... I'm a book -- paper lover but for work and traveling it would save on weight.

Let me know what you choose Yz ...

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 195 comments I have the Sony Pocket PRS 300. I like it but do class it as a basic reader. It is slow to respond and sometimes painfully so (over a minute to go up a level to choose another book). Luckily so far it hasn't been that long for page turns, but there is still a delay. I rang their support because I thought it was a fault and was told that it wasn't.

The other thing is you do need a good light to be able to read the screen as it isn't back lit. That isn't a problem for me as I have a Mighty Bright clip on lamp that clips onto my cover. I haven't noticed a glare.

I do love the different formats you can read on it. I mainly have ePub but also some PDF's. You can also read Word documents. It works great with books with DRM protection as well. The library in my area has recently started offering eBooks, the range is limited but the ones I have borrowed work great on the reader.

Also I have an iPad and I love the iBooks reader on that although it is limited to ePub books without DRM protection.

I was thinking of getting a new reader for Christmas to replace my Sony but not sure yet. I was thinking of a Kindle when they lowered the price and started a UK Kindle store, but unfortunately most of the books I am interested in aren't available in the UK store and they won't let you buy from the US store for Kindle books. Grr

I am interested in comments about the latest Sony eReader, especially how long a delay there is using it. As that is my main reason for wanting to change it, otherwise I would be happy to stick with the pocket one.

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 195 comments I have just come across this article and thought it might be helpful:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-2...

message 19: by Purple (last edited Sep 30, 2010 04:18AM) (new)

Purple (purpletan) | 1221 comments I was gifted the Sony Reader Pocket Edition last December. Since this isn't sold in Asia, my husband solicited some help from his friends on vacation in the US to get it for me. It's pink and $199 on the internet then and without the leather cover and the imposed taxes.

I agree with Joanne that it responds slowly when turning pages and selecting books. It's not touch screen and backlight, but considering it travelled over several continents before it reached my hands, I will not replace it easily just because its slow.

The books ain't cheap though, so I still buy and borrow and rent from private collectors and used books shops.

However, I've viewed the new Pocket Touch Edition and it has touch screen already, cheaper, with more memory than I need and supports the same type of files available here.

Despite that, I have no immediate need to replace my Reader yet. I'm very ok with it.

message 20: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments Joanne wrote: "I have just come across this article and thought it might be helpful:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-2..."

I found it very informative - thank you!

message 21: by Jasmin (last edited Oct 21, 2010 11:24PM) (new)

Jasmin (princ3ssjasmin) | 91 comments I have a Sony PRS-600 and I love it. Well, there is a glare, but it's manageable. It's perfect under the sunlight.

It's easy to take notes, and looking up of words in the dictionary is simple, and the memory is very expandable.

But before you get one, I suggest you get a look at it personally, in it's action. :D

message 22: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 28, 2010 06:33PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20975 comments @ Yz (sorry - or anyone else who can answer my questions...)
Have you purchased the Sony eReader? I am now swinging back this way as I want an e-reader that I can use for books purchased from any source - not just from Amazon and B&N... (I hate to loose freedom of choice!!)

If you have - does it read books purchased from places like BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise, Ellora's Cave etc etc? I have over 200 books in a variety of formats that I read on my computer - eReader, pdf, Adobe Digital Editions, etc... But most of these have the 'lock' on them so I think this makes them harder to convert for either the Kindle or the Nook...(??) And I don't think the free Calibre conversion program works on 'locked' files...

Aaarrgghhh!!

message 23: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11366 comments I have been reading a lot of reviews and comparisons this week. I have had a kindle for a year and a half and I really love it. But it cannot support library books and my library system was just enabled to lend their ebooks to ereaders. So I am getting another one- it looks like a Kobo for me. Price is good, no glare, pages turn a bit faster than the Sony and is much lighter than the Nook. The wireless one is only 119.00 right now at Borders. Also expandable memory, dictionary, and comes loaded with 100 free books.

I did go to Borders and check out the Libre, Kobo and Sony editions. It's really personal choice- which one fits your needs and how it feels to you when you are using it.

Hope this helps Yz!

message 24: by Karen ~ Divhine (new)

Karen ~ Divhine (karenjs) Jane - I have the Sony PRS600. I bought this one because of the memory card feature. I have purchased from Books on Board (Jasmine), Ellora's Cave and a few others and have not had any problems. Sony also has a good library, but sometimes their prices are higher. I also have Calibre and once the books are downloaded, I pick them up with Calibre and transfer to my reader. The books from the Reader Library stay on the reader's library on my computer. The books from other sites are on Calibre. When I get too many on my Reader, I transfer to a memory card. However, you cannot transfer books from the reader to Calibre because they are DRM protected. Hope this helps.

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20975 comments @ Fran - Thanks - I'll now go have a bo-peep at the Kobo. (Nice price!!)

@ Karen - This helps a heap even though I don't really understand the Calibre transfer bit. If this is the way I go, I'm sure I'll understand once I have it all in front of me!! :) But basically it sounds as if the 'locked' files sit in the Calibre library... Does Calibre 'sit' on the eReader as well as on the computer?

message 26: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11366 comments @Jane- There is a great comparison page on Borders.com if you want a quick look at the differences btw. Libre, Kobo and Sony. I think BN.com has a comparison page for the Nook vs. others. In case you want to check it out before you get into the stores and get your hands on them.

I also have no idea how Calibre works!

message 27: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20975 comments Hi Fran - I'm having problems working out how comparative pricing on all this 'cos I'm in Australia. I have to throw another $30 odd in freight, get AC adaptors etc. But the range in the US is SO much better! I'm still working on it though!! :) (Some of the US Border pages aren't working for me...) *sigh*

message 28: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11366 comments Jane,I didn't take Australia into consideration! I hope you find something that works for you- lots of people seem to like the Sony- let us know which one you eventually choose!

message 29: by Karen ~ Divhine (new)

Karen ~ Divhine (karenjs) Jane: Calibre is a free e-book management system that you download to your computer. It is not necessary when you have a reader, I just found it very helpful.

The Sony Reader has it's own library, included with the reader (internet). Books downloaded are DRM protected. That program is included with the reader. Anything you download from Sony is in that library on your computer.

I hope I said this better than before. It is a little difficult trying to type this so it makes sense. LOL

I have included the Calibre site below.

http://calibre-ebook.com

message 30: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20975 comments Karen: I think I get it - you use Calibre to help handle your non-Sony books. Thanks. Just went to your link - it looks really good for file management! Great!

Fran: will let you know...

message 31: by Ashley♥Alexis (new)

Ashley♥Alexis | 309 comments I have the Sony Pocket PRS 300. the computer software it comes with it kinda aweful and crashes randomly. i currently use Adobe Editions instead mainly because i don't actually buy books, i get them from the library. I Other than that I haven't had any problems with it. But i only use it for long trips so i don't use it daily.

message 32: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20975 comments Thanks Ashley! I have Adobe Ditigal Editions on my computer but don't use it frequently either.

Am heavily leaning towards the Sony, but just have to solve one last issue (my preferred mp3!) and then I'll just settle the whole thing!

message 33: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 195 comments Karen, can you use Calibre to organise all books including those that are DRM protected? I see from your message that you don't and that you can't move books from your eReader to Calibre that are DRM protected. I was wondering if it were possible to use Calibre to organize DRM protected books on the PC.

I have been using the Reader Library that comes with the Sony eReader but it has some features missing that I would like now my collection is growing and it sounds like Calibre might be the answer. The problem is most of my books are DRM protected. I would be putting them into Calibre from my PC and then I would want to transfer them to my Sony eReader. I am not planning on reading them through Calibre.

I would try it but my current reader isn't working and I am not getting a new one (Sony PRS-350) until Christmas but would like to get my books organised so they are ready to transfer on the day.

Hope that makes sense.

message 34: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1755 comments Joanne, I use Calibre and as far as I know, you can use it to organize DRM protected files. You just can't use it to convert them to another format. I have e-books that I downloaded from the Sony store to my computer in Calibre.

message 35: by Karen ~ Divhine (new)

Karen ~ Divhine (karenjs) Julie - the books from Sony to Calibre are still DRM protected, right? You can't read them in Calibre, correct? Unless I missed something, which is possible. lol

My reader has a memory card and I can move non-Sony books from Calibre to the memory card (after reading on reader).

K

message 36: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 195 comments Thanks Julie. I think Calibre is going to work for me.

message 37: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1755 comments Karen wrote: "Julie - the books from Sony to Calibre are still DRM protected, right? You can't read them in Calibre, correct? Unless I missed something, which is possible. lol

My reader has a memory card an..."

Karen - yes, I believe everything from the Sony store is DRM protected. I haven't downloaded very much from them. I primarily download freebies and books that are exclusively available in e-book format, so a lot of what I get comes from smaller presses. I'm not sure if they have DRM or not. All I know is that all the e-books I own are currently organized in Calibre and I've had no problems using it for that purpose and for loading them into my reader. To the best of my knowledge you can't actually read anything in Calibre. It's just for organization.

message 38: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1755 comments Joanne wrote: "Thanks Julie. I think Calibre is going to work for me."

You're welcome, Joanne. I hope you like it. IMO, it's a great little program that's better than the software that came with my reader.

message 39: by Karen ~ Divhine (new)

Karen ~ Divhine (karenjs) Julie: I believe you can read a book in Calibre. You highlight the book and then up on the top "view" and the book comes up. Not, however, if it is DRM protected. :(

message 40: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20975 comments OK - I bought a Sony PRS650 on the weekend. Thanks to everyone for their feedback and help. :) But haven't had time to set it up yet. Will try to get this done by the end of this week. Will definitely try out Calibre!!

No advance on the mp3 - one piece of technology at a time...

message 41: by Julianna (last edited Dec 05, 2010 06:52PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1755 comments Karen wrote: "Julie: I believe you can read a book in Calibre. You highlight the book and then up on the top "view" and the book comes up. Not, however, if it is DRM protected. :("

I just opened Calibre up, and I see what you're saying. Since I have no interest in reading on my computer (to hard on the eyes), I didn't even realize that feature was there. Actually, it's not really reading "in Calibre" per se. Calibre is just opening the file in Adobe (or at least that's what mine is doing), probably because all my e-books are in PDF format except for the ones I got from the Sony store. You are right about it not opening those.

message 42: by Karen ~ Divhine (new)

Karen ~ Divhine (karenjs) Jane - have fun.

Julie - I don't read books on my comuputer for the same reason. I like the cover feature, you can see all the covers in color. lol

message 43: by Denise (new)

Denise Joanne wrote: "Also I have an iPad and I love the iBooks reader on that although it is limited to ePub books without DRM protection."

If you use Calibre with the ipad, you can convert PDF, word docs, mobi etc, to epub to read on the ipad. All the books you select to send to the device opens in ibooks. Also, there is a nook and a Kindle app for the ipad. I like to read my kindle books in that app on the ipad better than on the actual kindle.
I also use calibre to convert the same files to Mobi format to read on my kindle. You can get a lot of the classics free at the google books site. Most are PDF format that are not DMR protected. A lot of my friends with a Kindle did not know that it will read a mobi file.

message 44: by Tania (new)

Tania | 644 comments I use calibre manage the libraries on ... Wait for it...my iPod touch, iPhone, ipad and my new Sony prs-350 (pocket touch). And yes, I will still buy dead tree books of very select series. My name is Tania and I have an addiction (and a phobia about being caught somewhere without a book to read).

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellelisa) | 65 comments I have a Sony 650 and love it.I have had no problems and have had it for 8 months now.My daughter has a kobo and thats good too but the sony is my faveroite. I borrow books from the library,buy from the sony store and from the kobo web site.I buy from kobo alot because they are always putting out coupons The sonys the way to go!

message 46: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20975 comments I'm so glad you posted Michelle, 'cos I was just thinking I needed to find this thread again! I wanted the calibre download link! :)

I'm pretty happy with my Sony 650 too! I think I'd be happier though with the Calibre software maintaining the library though. I have had a few probs opening and closing the Sony library thingy.

...I have a few ebooks I purchased from somewhere like Ellora's Cave (can't remember) and the author is wrong/missing, or the title isn't right - something like that... (I think the title issue is to do with the name I chose when I downloaded the file.) Does anyone know if it is possible to edit book details?

message 47: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 195 comments Jane, I have recently started using Calibre software for maintaining my library and am really happy with it.

I was having the same problem as you with the Sony eReader library and hated when the info about the book was wrong.

With Calibre you can edit the ebook details (click on 'Edit Metadata' after selecting the eBook) and add a picture if the book cover is missing (I don't understand why publishers put out eBooks without covers). I find it very quick and easy to do. I also add 'tags' which are then put on the eReader as 'bookshelves'.

One thing though if the eBook is DRM protected it doesn't show info unless you add it, no biggie for me.

message 48: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20975 comments Woohoo! Thanks Joanne. It's a minor thing I suppose, but it's been really bugging me. Much harder to search for the book I want if the info isn't correct to start with!

Yay!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ice Princess (other topics)