Steinbeck fans discussion

Other authors

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew Seckinger | 28 comments Mod
I have become hooked on Colum McCann. I love that he writes about places I've been — that's probably why I relate to him so well. But he also writes very beautiful and descriptive sentences. In his first novel, "Songdogs," he writes of his father, "He ran a hand across his mouth: 'I can put on the fucken water myself, all right?; But he didn't. He brushed past me, back to his armchair. He smelled terrible. This body of his is an effigy, he carts it around on the stick of himself." Wow. His body as an effigy and carrying it around on the stick of himself. That is only something McCann could write.

Jeff — Thanks for posting this topic/question. I love Steinbeck but don't want to get pinned down with just him. I was talking with my father last night. There is so much stuff out there that I want to read: all of Pat Conroy, all of Colum McCann, all of David Eggers, a bunch of Russian literature, etc., etc., etc.

Eternaldisturbance | 9 comments It would be sacrilege not to mention Ayn Rand: she has such an impact.
But then I am surprised not more people talk of Richard Bach? His writing is incredibly beautiful, and I have read his books over and over again. The one sentence I love the most is:
"We're the bridge across forever, arching above the sea, adventuring for our pleasure, living mysteries for the fun of it, choosing disasters triumphs challenges impossible odds, testing ourselves over and again, learning love and love and LOVE!"

Eternaldisturbance | 9 comments Good God no! i certainly hope not.She is the author of "Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged".
I would certainly recommend her. Those are the books one should read before dying, and believe me I am not exaggerating.

I am going to check out McCann too.. good to see all these posts. It's good to be talking to ppl with similar interests.

message 4: by Pandora (new)

Pandora  | 42 comments I am more classical in my tastes. I have enjoyed Rafael Sabatini's swashbucklers especially Scarmouche. Jack London's White Fang is also an excellent read. Another favorite but, completely different is Peter Beagle's The Last Unicorn.

Being a children's librarian I also read a lot of children books. One strange book I came across was Kathi Applet's The Underneath. I said, strange because as I read it I found it hard to figure out how to descirbe it. The best I could say it was a bit like Steinbeck. Which was why I was surprised it is not considred a teen book but, instead is considred a children's book.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott | 24 comments Wallace Stegner is a good choice for Steinbeck readers. If you're unfamiliar with him, maybe start with Angle of Repose.

message 6: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 58 comments I've read Angle of Repose and also Stegner's The Spectator Bird. Stegner's prose is worth reading - it won him the Pulitzer - but it never would have occurred to me to compare him to John Steinbeck.

message 7: by Bruce (new)

Bruce I'd highly recommend Graham Greene to any Steinbeck fan. He writes on very similar themes, although more diverse genre-wise, and is engaging and entertaining on top of it. Almost the British Steinbeck.