I Love Canadian Authors discussion

Off Topic > Film Adaptations of Canadian Books

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 237 comments Mod
As I am sure all of you know, Barney's Version is being made into a movie (release date is January 2011 I believe. This got me to thinking about other films based on Canadian books and how successful they are or aren't and why those books have been picked.

I watched Rare Birds a couple of months ago and thought it was a pretty good adaptation of the book. William Hurt wasn't very good but our Canadian actor/comedian Andy Jones was wonderful. I still wonder why or how this book was picked for cinematic release....

message 2: by Shannon (new)

To get things rolling and hopefully others will add to it, here is a partial list of Cdn books that have been made into film (in no particular order):

The English Patient
The Handmaid's Tale
Black Robe: A Novel
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz (also had Richard Dreyfuss in it)
Rare Birds
Swann
The Republic of Love
Did Stone Diaries ever get made into a movie? What else am I missing? Have you seen any of these and how do they relate to the books. I think this winter I might do a movie night at home series.

message 3: by Keith (new)

Keith (antproof) | 9 comments Shannon wrote: "To get things rolling and hopefully others will add to it, here is a partial list of Cdn books that have been made into film (in no particular order):

Here's some more

Dance Me Outside
Getting Married in Buffalo Jump
Whale Music
Englishman's Boy

The Book of Negroes (In development)

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith (antproof) | 9 comments Some older book/films

Anne Hebert's Kamouraska
Margaret Lawrence's A Jest of God (made as Rachel, Rachel and reset in New England.
W.O. Mitchell's Who Has Seen The Wind
Margaret Atwood's Surfacing

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) | 419 comments Mod
Wow, you guys are awesome. I think I've seen one of those movies. Perhaps this winter I too will be having some movie nights. Any you guys recommend? How about what you'd recommend passing on. I'm the world's worst movie picker according to Kurt.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

I agree. I have only seen two of these so curious if anyone has seen more and what you think...

I saw Rare Birds and liked it. Its quirky and fun with an excellent job done by Andy Jones, so I think worth seeing. I also saw Black Robe: A Novel years ago and remember it being very bleak, cold and serious but very good. Not a light-hearted one by any means. I remember also seeing Dances with Wolves around the same time and felt that Black Robe was much more real (I am not a fan of Dances).

That's my two cents on the two that I have seen. You decide if you got two cents worth each or combined. ;)

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) | 419 comments Mod
I will check out both of these. Thanks Shannon.

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith (antproof) | 9 comments Looking for another book on Amazon I was pointed to books by Newfoundland author Bernice Morgan. One of her books, Random Passage, was made into a TV miniseries. I had not heard of her or the dvd but the summary of all of her books sounds interesting. I love her bio intro: "Bernice Morgan was born in pre-confederation Newfoundland . . .' Anyone read her?

DVD details here: http://tinyurl.com/2c9bwcg

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (alley1) | 7 comments I read two books by Bernice Morgan, and Random Passage was certainly the strongest. The movie was very well done too. I'm also recalling Gordon Pinsent's Christmas to Last which I always loved. If Bernice Morgan shows us a long ago Newfoundland, then Gordon Pinsent(who I think was born down east) did a grand job of setting his story in Ontario over a century ago.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

I was thinking, wow, that is a short list and then realized that there must be some film adaptations of Farley Mowat and sure enough there are at least 4:
Lost In The Barrens (1990)
The Snow Walker (2003)
Never Cry Wolf : Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves (Disney 1983) and
A Whale For The Killing (1981)

message 11: by Marguerite (new)

Marguerite | 1 comments I remembered seeing and loving Nicholas Campbell's performance as Shorty MacAdoo in the CBC film of The Englishman's Boy, by Guy Vanderhaeghe.

I'm hoping that someday I'll see an equally good film verson of The Last Crossing (Canada Reads winner 2005).

message 12: by Taren (new)

Taren | 2 comments Is there any updates that anyone has to this? My book club has a theme this year of books into film. and my role in the club seems to have become the girl who always picks a Canadian author. I kinda like it. So I'd like to stick with it without having to choose something terribly old. I want to show them we're relevant!!

As an aside, many of Gail Bowen's mystery novels have been made into made for TV movies.

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) "The Stone Angel"
"Anne Of Green Gables"
"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (a screenplay rather than a book but huge for us in Winnipeg). I like her film "My Life In Ruins" even better; hilarious.

If "The Hardy Boys" became films, it's also notable that the first several were written by Canadian Leslie McFarlane (aka 'Franklin Dixon').

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (alley1) | 7 comments Taren wrote: "Is there any updates that anyone has to this? My book club has a theme this year of books into film. and my role in the club seems to have become the girl who always picks a Canadian author. I kind..."

Maybe you will find this too old, but The Kite by WO Mitchell has some great humour in it, and is essentially Canadian.

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sprigg | 10 comments just google "canadian authors book to film" and you'll find a bunch....I just did

message 16: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 14 comments Taren wrote: "Is there any updates that anyone has to this? My book club has a theme this year of books into film. and my role in the club seems to have become the girl who always picks a Canadian author. I kind..."

Marguerite wrote: "I remembered seeing and loving Nicholas Campbell's performance as Shorty MacAdoo in the CBC film of The Englishman's Boy, by Guy Vanderhaeghe.

I'm hoping that someday I'll see an equally good fil..."

Canadian Kim Izzo has just submitted her screenplay of her novel "The Jane Austen Marriage Manual" .. BIG News! find more on her FB page

The Jane Austen Marriage Manual by Kim Izzo
Kim Izzo

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie (brontesister) | 40 comments The Life of Pi, from Yann Martel's novel.
The Handmaid's Tale, from Margaret Atwood's novel.
The English Patient, from Michael Ondaatje's novel.
Still Life (TV Movie), from Louise Penny's novel.

message 18: by Taren (new)

Taren | 2 comments Good catch on life of pi! We did it last round though. But still great one to have on the list.