Q&A with Deborah Brodie discussion

Inspiration

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Patrick (pristine) | 8 comments Mod
One way or another we are all inspired by something or someone. As a writer I find I am easily inspired by the changing seasons of my life, and my surroundings.

As fellow authors I ask you to share where, what, who inspires you?

As readers, what inspires you?

message 2: by John (new)

John Hester | 1 comments I have been giving this some thought. As a writer of supernatural thrillers as well as spiritual non fiction I have to say that most of my inspiration comes from what others have written. I read the New York Times Book Review and get some ideas that way. I also find inspiration in the life stories of those I meet on a daily basis. My life is too boring to draw any inspiration there. Although one book I am presently writing has to do with how I dealt with negative events that took place in my life over the last year and a half.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Great hearing from you John! How is your book coming along?

It's interesting that you found a creative outlet (inspiration) through adversity. I also find I tend to write more during the valleys in my life, than the mountaintop experiences.

While I do draw inspiration from locations, and surroundings, I think it is more a matter of getting away; out of the ordinary stressful environments we learn to thrive in, to a more condusive environment where we can hear our creative voice and take the time to be introspective.

message 4: by Kira4Inu (new)

Kira4Inu Kira4Inu For me, I find inspiration in my dreams. Dreams being my dreams for the future as well as the worlds that I walk through in my sleep. I find that I get the most inspiration from realizing that my dream is that much closer. Strange right?

message 5: by Deborah (new)

No not at all! In fact I often am inspired by vivid dreams, and can wake up and put words into what I just experienced through dreams. Dreams are sometimes called fantasy and is that not what we write when we write fiction?

message 6: by Kira4Inu (new)

Kira4Inu Kira4Inu I suppose. . . Some of my best story ideas came from dreams. . . I have quite a few (probably around 60 of my 90 came from dreams. . .) or you know for that matter, I am sometimes inspired by the things around me. For instance, my dad said jokingly to me "I thought you had a hand in everything." I got a GREAT idea from that. And as I look around myself without my glasses on I admire the difference and came up with a new story based on that. I don't know, I think it's strange... Hehe, What about you?

message 7: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Patrick | 1 comments Inspiration....hmm, You inspire me Deborah!

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Kira4inu wrote: "I suppose. . . Some of my best story ideas came from dreams. . . I have quite a few (probably around 60 of my 90 came from dreams. . .) or you know for that matter, I am sometimes inspired by the t..."

LOL! That is what is so cool about inspiration; anything can set off that creative flow, I love it!

Music is another big one for me. Alot of times too not only do I get inspiration through dreams but often I will wake up with a whole storyline, or a poem. The downfall to that is, sometimes I am too lazy to get up and write it down!

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Jeffery wrote: "Inspiration....hmm, You inspire me Deborah!"

Many thanks Jeffery!

message 10: by Kira4Inu (new)

Kira4Inu Kira4Inu You lose your ideas sometimes when you don't write it down! I know I do, there are probably soooo many great ideas that I've lost that way, even if it's just the perfcect name for a character or something small and trivial such as that. . . I have been better at writing stuff down these days because I really don't want to lose my ideas. . .
Music. . . Hmmm . . . certain songs spark ideas in my head. For example, do you know of Eminem? I don't particularly like rap music but a few of his songs are good. Anyways, his song "Beautiful" gave me an idea about walking in people's shoes. . . It just depends on the songs lyrics whether or not it is inspriring to me. . . If the song has no lyrics then well I won't feel inspired. . .

message 11: by Deborah (new)

As a result of thinking I will remember when I wake up and dont, I even tried putting a tape recorder by my bed; would you believe how lazy I am, it was too much trouble to get it and turn it on! So like you I am now determined to MAKE myself get up and write it down, even in the dark. I am not familiar with that artist or song. You would be surprised how much you would most likely get inspired by listening to instrumental music. Begin by choosing your instrument of choice, then try it.. you may be pleasantly surprised.

While I am thinking of it, could you please write down the name and address, phone # if possible of the library near you. I would like to give that info to my publisher to contact for you!

message 12: by Kira4Inu (new)

Kira4Inu Kira4Inu I've never even considered using a tape recorder. . . That's an interesting idea but I would be too embarrassd to even begin to talk into it. . . Instrumental?? Hmm. . . I don't really know which instrument might inspire me. . . Or for that matter sound good to me. . . I could try it sometime. . .

The library? It's North Bend Public Library in North Bend, Oregon. Address and phone can be found here: http://www.cooslibraries.org/screens/...

message 13: by Deborah (new)

I think that's why the tape recorder didnt work for me either, I felt too weird talking into it at the wee hours of the night.

I am now looking at pictures of Guatemala to get me inspired to write about it. That is where my sequel is taking place. It is very picturesque with the mountains, and volcanos.

message 14: by Kira4Inu (new)

Kira4Inu Kira4Inu Yeah. Looking at pictures of the setting? Hmmm, I've never thought of that one either!

message 15: by Deborah (new)

I love this topic, I will be speaking on it next Wed. as my brief discussion topic. I think alot of people can relate to it.