Pamela Clare ~ Fan Group discussion

MacKinnon's Rangers Series > Surrender - Iain's Story (Book #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 140 comments Iain Mackinnon

Spoiler free please (as much as you can)

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 176 comments Mod
I am crazy about Surrender and Iain. I am very glad that Melissab recommend this book on Amazon!

message 3: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1381 comments Mod
You know, I love the name Ian, Iain, Eoin... no matter how it's spelled, anyone with that name is going to be amazing. I almost named my son Ian, but could imagine giving him such a sexy name, so I went with Evan instead :)

This was my first Pamela Clare read and I was hooked!

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela_clare) | 370 comments When I wrote this book, I told my editor it was garbage. And then a bunch of people liked it. That was weird.

But I loved Iain. The font made his name look like Lain, which was kind of appropriate. ;-)

Does anyone have favorite scenes from that book. I know I do.

message 5: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

One of my favorite scenes was also the hardest to read. When Iain was being flogged, and Annie watched. Emotionally compelling scenes like that often show me the depth of their love for each other.

There are so many good scenes, but that one stands out as also being very meaningful. For me anyway.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (last edited Sep 22, 2010 06:05PM) (new)

Okay, don't mean to sound like a sex-crazed fiend, but my favorite scene was the first love scene. Gosh, that was hot! I was on a plane coming back from Jackson, MS when I was reading it, and my eyes were glued to the page. I even reread it, a few times! I also love the scene when they met, and Iain took tht incredible risk just to save Annie. The book is full of favorite scenes for me. :)

message 7: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Yes, that was one of many hot scenes in these books, Danielle. **sigh**

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela_clare) | 370 comments I like those scenes, too — his decision to rescue her, the flogging, the first love scene (and the shaving scene...)

I don't know how to write my other favorite scene -- the one I was driving toward for much of the book -- without putting up spoilers so... You can just guess what it was. It involved fighting, not sex.

And the epilogue. I cried when I wrote it. The last paragraph of the book took me a full week to write.

Now you'll all go back and look at that and think, "Huh?" LOL!

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

I can't imagine the emotional toll it takes on an author to write those scenes that make me sob. If I'm having that reaction, what must you, as the author, feel?

The characters from the story I'm writing are so real to me, that the opening - the prologue - had me sobbing. My family must have thought I was a lunatic!

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela_clare) | 370 comments My older son caught me talking to my characters out loud one day and asked me, "Mom, what's the difference between you and the guy in 'A Beautiful Mind'?" (If you haven't seen the film, it's about a man who was schizophrenic and talked to people who didn't exist).

I answered, "The difference is that he thought his voices were real. I know mine are characters."

:-)

message 11: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (last edited Sep 22, 2010 06:53PM) (new)

That's too funny, Pamela!! I would have said "He thought his voices were real, I know mine are!!!" And my family would have believed me!

I'm lucky because my kids are my greatest fans. I've got the first 8 chapters, and then all the as of yet unattached scenes printed out in a folder. I like reading it that way better. Anyway, every now and then I'll see my kids reading it. My son often reads it and asks when I'll add more. :) My oldest daughter read that prologue that had me sobbing, and she put the folder down and said "Well, shit..." and she was crying. LOL I guess that's a good sign right?

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela_clare) | 370 comments Yep, that's a good sign.

I feel mine are real, too, but I couldn't really admit that to my kid. As you know from talking on the phone with me, I act like what happens in these books is something that really happened that I had no involvement.

"Oh, today Natalie said the funniest thing."

And, yes, writing emotional scenes can be very emotionally draining. As I think I mentioned, RIDE THE FIRE utterly destroyed me. I was a disaster for six weeks afterward.

There's always a period of feeling very down after I finish a book. I call it post-partum depression. That's what it seems like.

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (new)

Is that your BDB story, Dhestiny?

That's funny what your son asked you, Pamela. I imagine your characters do feel real. I feel that way about my characters in my stories too.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela_clare) | 370 comments Wow! Lots of writers here. What do you write, Lady D? Are you most into historicals?

message 15: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Danielle, nope, not the BDB fanfic. It's a story that took root from a scene that I've had tossing around in my mind for years. I go back and look at what I've written so far, and I know I've come a long, long way in my writing. It's all the Fhate/Dhestiny writing I've been doing, I think.

Anyway, with NaNoWriMo coming up, I'm thinking I'll take a serious look at my story again and clean it up, add the scenes that have been coming to me lately so I don't forget them. And there are some definite changes I want to make to the direction it takes.

I had allowed a "friend" to read it and it suddenly stopped being for me. It was a therapy, that writing, but she began encouraging me to go in this direction and that... and now it's been almost a year since I've even looked at it.

message 16: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Pamela wrote: "And, yes, writing emotional scenes can be very emotionally draining. As I think I mentioned, RIDE THE FIRE utterly destroyed me. I was a disaster for six weeks afterward."

And that means you poured your heart and soul into it. RtF is one of the books I'm most looking forward to reading, but I know it's going to be an emotional one, so I'm waiting for the right time, for me. I become completely invested in the characters... they stop being characters and become real people... so I know it's going to impact me.

message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela_clare) | 370 comments UM, that's why I wrote my first book in secret. I felt that my Muse was too delicate to handle the input of others unless it was constructive.

In college I discovered how unhelpful critiques of writing could be when everything I wrote was savaged by my creative writing classmates. (The prof later put them in their place by ending one particularly severe round of bashing by telling them that he thought I had the only publishable work to come out of the class. Bwahaha!)

So I was very hesitant to share with anyone.

I have a very small contingent of close friends (one being my sister) who read every chapter as I write it and offer their feedback. None of them are writers; they're all readers. And that's why I trust them.

For whatever that's worth.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (last edited Sep 22, 2010 07:15PM) (new)

Pamela, I mainly write contemporary stories, but I'd love to write historicals. My writing focus is typically interracial romance. I have some barriers with the historical thing because of issues in the past with racism, so I am working through those, and also the research necessary to write a good historical story. I like dangerous heroes, so I write those kinds of stories, but also sweet romance. I'd also like to write more dark fantasy/horror/paranormal stuff. I have some of my stuff posted on my profile for brave readers.

D, it's very tough having some people read your work. I let my aunt read my first story and she was so harsh, I stopped writing for two years. Now, I don't let that get to me. Write because you love it, and if you do your best, perfect your craft, and continue to grow, you can't help but write well.

message 19: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Thanks, Pamela! I appreciate the input :) I think it's the readers opinions that should matter.

Yeah, I learned my lesson and no one looks at it anymore. Anything I add now will be mine, and only mine to see.

I imagine that as a published author you have to have a thick skin, but wow.. I know how much my characters mean to me and it's rough when people don't like them for whatever reason. I have a dear friend who I know would HATE the story because it's just not her thing. She loves cheesy, dime store novels... and so do I. But she'd read my prologue and I can hear in my mind exactly what she'd say.

People mean well, I know, but if I try to take everyone's suggestions and make everyone happy, it will then cease to be mine.

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela_clare) | 370 comments That is so true!

There are sometimes reviews that upset me, particularly when they're saying something that is factually inaccurate or are mouthing off over something they know nothing about. Such as the journalism in the I-Team stories not being realistic (um, career journalist here, duh...) or me being racist because my Native characters aren't all angelic shamans.

There are people who hate my books, and that's okay. That happens. I just have to write what's in my heart. That's what writers are supposed to do anyway. :-)

message 21: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (last edited Sep 22, 2010 07:24PM) (new)

Lady D., the Sisters of the BDB group is so supportive, that I feel like I can post anything there and get positive feedback, but I won't share with anyone in my offline life anymore. I guess I'm not cracked up to be a real writer after all.

I also started a group here on Goodreads and I'm the only member! LOL It's a place I can go post my writing and see it in a format other than Word. It really helps me catch mistakes and check for flow.

message 22: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Lady D., I've read some of your writing and it's very good. You sell yourself short!

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (new)

Thanks, Dhestiny. Same here!

Pamela, I think some reviewers are very mean-spirited. I really don't get that at all. The person who wrote that book is a human being and does not deserve to be ridiculed the way I've seen done in reviews. Some readers have no clue how hard it is to write something that is readable, better yet, publisheable.

message 24: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (last edited Sep 22, 2010 07:39PM) (new)

Pamela, I've read some nasty reviews (not of your books) here on Goodreads and I can only imagine what kind of unhappy people those reviewers are OFFline.

I usually don't rate or review a book's editing or grammatical errors, or little mistakes here and there unless they are really distracting! I almost always rate a book on the emotions it stirred in me. Happy, sad, giddy, excited, aroused... did I feel what the author intended? That's the bottom line for me.

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (new)

Same here, Dhestiny!

message 26: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Finished Surrender early yesterday morning and I really enjoyed it. I think, hands down (or razors up *grin*, however you choose to look at it) my fav scene was the shaving scene. Yes, when Iain & Anne meet & the flogging are all emotional & pivotal scenes in the story, but bar none this is my fav. IMO, couples or characters need to have enough energy, electricity (if that makes sense), connection & lust that when you read about them, their scenes jump off the page and grab you. All of those did that for me!

message 27: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 61 comments I'm going to go back and re-read that shaving scene...do you happen to remember the page, Alyssa?;)

message 28: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) I don't. I'm sorry and I've already returned the book to the library :(

message 29: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela_clare) | 370 comments I wanted to check for you, but I don't have the book at work. I'll check tonight.

message 30: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 61 comments I should just get off my lazy butt and look right now...hang on, and I'll let everyone who needs a "refresher" know. I probably folded down the page anyway...;)

message 31: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 61 comments Oh yeah...pages 255-258...

message 32: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela_clare) | 370 comments Thanks, Auntee. That was helpful of you. ;-)

message 33: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Pamela wrote: "Thanks, Auntee. That was helpful of you. ;-)"

And thoroughly selfless, too. ;)

message 34: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 61 comments Lol, it was fun looking for it--I got distracted by a few other scenes as well...:)

message 35: by Rhonda (last edited Feb 11, 2011 06:37PM) (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) | 16 comments Pamela wrote: "When I wrote this book, I told my editor it was garbage. And then a bunch of people liked it. That was weird.

But I loved Iain. The font made his name look like Lain, which was kind of appropriat..."

GASP!!! I LOOVED this book, and favorite scenes...the whole damn book!!!! I was hooked from the prologue!! The shaving scene was HOT!!!! I did like the ending confrontation between Annie and Wentworth too. There were several times I actually "whooped"!

BTW, I read the Kindle version, and was not put off by the couple of type-o's, which were scan in errors! No fault of Pamela's!

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 25 comments I absolutely loved Iain and Annie. the setting was the best not to mention unconventional, and I LOVED it as well having been to these places before made it all the more real for me. My favorite scene from the book would have to be the first time Iain saw Annie. He was so set on not leaving her! I loved it! Ok, so I have said "I loved it" like 3 times...so I LOVED THIS BOOK!

Finished Untamed today and loved that one just as much too!

message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (new)

Heidi, glad to hear you enjoyed Surrender and Untamed so much. Me too.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I am crazy about Surrender and Iain. I am very glad that Melissab recommend this book on Amazon!"

If this is the same Melissab who is my friend and loans me books she is great - saving me a fortune and she has great taste in books. Have downloaded this but haven't started it yet ....

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (new)

Yup, that's her, Mo.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you have books to lend also .... as I told Melissa because I live in Europe I can borrow books but I cannot lend them myself..... we seem to have fairly similar taste also when I compared your books to mine!

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (new)

I do have a Kindle. If you have a list of books that you know are lendable that you are looking for, you can send it to me via PM and I'll check.

message 42: by Mslvoe (new)

Mslvoe Hai there,

I'm currently reading Surrender. I wish I'm on leave so that I can finish this book. I have an ebook but I just feel that this book is worth for my keeper shelf, so this morning I have ordered Surrender, Untamed and pre-order Defiant.

message 43: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

I'm so glad you're loving it, Nisha! I adore the MacKinnons, too!

Happy reading!

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (new)

Nisha, this was my first PC book. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

message 45: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I'm glad you're enjoying it."

Me too, Danielle. It's fun to see her updates. She's so excited about the story!

message 46: by Mslvoe (new)

Mslvoe I really love MacKinnon's series. Everyday I check my calendar, put a mark and count the release date.

I really can't wait Danielle.

Desh, I E-N-V-Y you

message 47: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Hey hey...watch where you're swinging that thing!!!!

message 48: by Mslvoe (new)

Mslvoe LOL I'm dead

message 49: by Danielle The Book Huntress , MacKinnon's Ranger (new)

LOL!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

OK - have decided I am going to start SURRENDER this weekend. Only problem is that I am going for a Romantic night away in Antwerp with hubby (and kids) ... now when he wants to be romantic how am I going to tell him .... sorry, I am with Iain this weekend!!!

« previous 1