My Sister's Keeper My Sister's Keeper discussion

movie

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee check out Jodi's website, this book is a movie with Cameron Diaz as a main character ;-)
http://www.jodipicoult.com/

Kelly I went to see Jodi Picoult at a book signing last night. She discussed that this book is being made into a movie. However, she informed us that they are changing the ending!! She was very upset about this and confronted the producetion company at which point she was told "readers don't matter!". She is asking for the help of her fans. Please email these two people and tell them you want the ending to remain the same!
Mark Johnson: mark@granviaprod.com
Toby Emmerich: toby.emmerich@newline.com

Rebecca The ending needs to be changed anyway. I am glad to hear it. The ending makes the book unbelievable and overdramatic.

Deidre I agree. I hope they change the ending. I HATED the ending. It made it seem like it was all for nothing.

Kelly Of course the ending isn't what people want to read, its not the happy, commercialized ending. But reality isn't always a happy ending and I think the ending made it less predictable. The ending made me want to throw the book against the wall!! But I still don't think a production company should change an ending just to make money and make it some cheesy, frivolous crap.

Rebecca I think there isn't enough cheese out there actually. Many books and movies try and want to shock you. It was quite predictable to discover that Kate wanted to die and Anna was trying to "help" her all along. Then, to have such a "convenient" car accident was like "whatever." I wonder how they will change the ending. It may still be sad, but in a different way. We don't know yet.

You are right when you say the car crash was unpredictable, but what makes it even worse is that the characters react to Anna's death in such a bad way. They can't even associate with Campbell and Julia because they remind them of Anna. That is the tragedy: they can't ever live happily. They spend years torn apart by Kate's cancer and then the rest of their lives torn apart by Anna's death.

Beth The ending was indeed shocking but this book will always stay with me..I will never forget the story. That ending was so incredibly powerful and on one level, as a reader, I appreciate that the author was totally able to stun me. What is the value of a read if it is all predictable anyway? For me at least, there was an incredibly powerful message in that ending. It will do the book a great injustice if the movie changes the ending.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ i would have loved the book if it hadn't been for the ending. the end just ruined the entire thing for me! it was like the author didn't know how to end it, so in the last five pages of the book, she's suddenly like "and then anna was dead!!! the end!!!" it was totally random and pointless. I was so disappointed in the ending. it should have been more powerful than that. obviously, picoult wanted it to be "shocking", but i just found it stupid. in my opinion, it is better to have a predictable but powerful ending, instead of an unpredictable ending that is weak.

Deidre Couldn't agree more!

message 10: by Helenmck (last edited Apr 25, 2008 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Helenmck I'm glad they are changing the ending. This book is about complicated moral issues. The car crash ending allowed the author to duck responsibility to deal with the issues she raised.

Stephanie No, I thought the ending was great. It was like life - you might expect death around some corners and not find it, and then be totally surprised by death in a park that has a NO DEATH sign resting on a bench.

message 12: by jesse (last edited May 26, 2008 03:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jesse yah... the ending of the book is MUCH BETTER! why can't people accept it, it's still a happy ending in one way or another although anna dies...of course it's sad and the family suffers, but like stephanie said death is totally unexpected, it happens - & all the time, it's part of life and i think the ending shows us that - anna made the people around her better humans - the price was however her death, she HAD to die. it was just true to life. if anna hadn't donated her kidney, kate would've died and anna in the end would've never forgiven herself. anna's death forced the other characters to face their own demons, which they certainly couldn't have done if kate had died instead. if it was kate who died...which everyone actually expected, they probably would've thought that they did/tried their best for kate. brian and sara wouldn't have bothered thinking about, if what they thought was best for kate was also best for anna.

Marie If you change the book it ruins the whole book-the whole point of the book!

Fatatat Like others here, I really enjoyed this book INCLUDING the ending and my immediate reaction to the ending being changed is negative. This is because I always think books should be left as they are, however Jodi P is quite and under appreciated author (IMO) and if "commercializing" the film will spark an interest in her then maybe its not such a bad thing. After all, some books just don't translate into films very well.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I think it depends on how the movie makers change the ending. I'm in the camp that believes the ending was a cop-out by the author. Rather than forcing the characters to live with their difficult decisions, the choice is taken out of their hands. That's what makes it unrealistic.

Still, I'm usually a purist when it comes to movie adaptations. I don't have a lot of faith in the movie makers' coming up with a better ending.

Kristi The ending is what made the book. It was disappointing only because we are use to the "happy endings" when all is well. Unfortunately, that is not life and to have such a dramatic ending was perfect. It's sad to think that people believe the book is good enough to be made into a movie only if it fits the mold of "feel good". It's a touchy subject and one that needs to be explored with all the genetic knowledge that we have at our fingers. To have Anna die reminds us that no matter how much science is involved in keeping one alive, there will always be accidents that can take a person away and help another to live.

Kristi The ending is what made the book. It was disappointing only because we are use to the "happy endings" when all is well. Unfortunately, that is not life and to have such a dramatic ending was perfect. It's sad to think that people believe the book is good enough to be made into a movie only if it fits the mold of "feel good". It's a touchy subject and one that needs to be explored with all the genetic knowledge that we have at our fingers. To have Anna die reminds us that no matter how much science is involved in keeping one alive, there will always be accidents that can take a person away and help another to live.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

The ending made the story seem more real to me

message 19: by jesse (last edited Nov 06, 2009 03:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jesse The movie kind of sucked. Book characters who got too much altered or were even missing in the movie. Then Kate being the one who died instead of Anna ...
Where the hec* was Julia?
Campbell *sigh* ... played by Alec Baldwin ... I guess if I hadn't read the book, I would've thought he did a good job (or not), but since I did read the book ... *shakesHead*

message 20: by Signteach (new) - added it

Signteach I think the book ending had a lot of meaning to it. THe family was worried so much about one child, the forgot about the fragile life of the other