Outlander Series discussion

The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel
This topic is about The Exile
The Books > The Exile - Graphic Novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Kris | 16 comments I received my book this morning (YEAH!) and found the page where they covered Jamie's tush during the wedding night sex. Interestingly, there is an earlier page with full rear nudity (though missing a big piece of reality if you ask me). So a bu** having sex is more graphic than a bu** standing by a stream? Claire's fingers still look rediculous. Cant' wait to finish it b/c I found some unexpected additions. Enjoy!

message 2: by Wan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments No way. Where did you pre-order yours? I pre order mine from Amazon.com. I hope it gets here before this Sat. That's when I'm supposed to see DG at the Book Festival in DC. AHHHHHH!!! I want mine..

Kris | 16 comments SPOILER! BTW, who is that guys who shows up in the stones looking for Claire - named Kenneth. Is he here just to add another angle to the story and make it newer for the readers?

Kris | 16 comments I ordered my from Amazon and was frankly surprised. Lucky you - you'll get yours signed!

message 5: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I'm so jealous! It's killing me! I had no idea that if I preordered it from Amazon I would get it before the official release. I thought they'd ship it on the 21st and I'd get it later, pooh!

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (les2car) | 131 comments Amazon says mine has been shipped and should be here tomorrow!! Yeah. I have never read a graphic novel but, I am excited to give it a try.

message 7: by Wan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Well, she is only going to appear for only about an hour. I'll keep my finger cross.

message 8: by JC (new) - rated it 4 stars

JC (jmnc) | 27 comments Mine was shipped yesterday!!! I was also suprised it was shipped early, anytime I've ever pre-ordered stuff it's been shipped on the release date, not before.

Carolyn F. | 322 comments I'm so completely, absolutely jealous!!!!! I preordered it on Amazon too. I'll be so angry if it's not in today's mail.

Pinda | 144 comments i ordered mine today! Can't wait to see it!

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) I got mine today (also pre-ordered from Amazon) and I am almost done with it!! It's so exciting!!

I'm giving my sister Outlander tomorrow so she can try it, hopefully she'll fall right in like I did!!

Jessica Sarah you only got yours today and you're nearly finished it?? Is it that short? What did you think?

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) It's 208 pages and it is a graphic novel so there isn't a lot of text. I kinda raced through it and it doesn't end in the same place as Outlander does which I thought was unfortunate but I can see why Diana would do that.

I loved it but I think I need to just let it be for the night and see how I feel about it tomorrow.

There were some added twists that I'll be looking in Outlander for the next time I read it.

Jessica Oh how strange...I was hoping for more of a story! Is it worth getting then? It sounds more like a comic book (you know with all the pictures and limited text)! Does it kind of follow Outlander from start to finish? I suppose I should just wait until I get my copy, shouldn't I! Thanks :)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) Well essentially a graphic novel is a comic. It follows Outlander from a little before we meet Claire but I won't tell you how it ends. :) You'll have to find that out yourself!

Pinda | 144 comments Is anyone going to see DG bring out Exile? Just curious?

message 17: by Wan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Just got notification that mine is shipped. YAY!!

message 18: by Wan (last edited Sep 21, 2010 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Anyone that going to the National Book Festival in DC -- the schedule is up. I am very very sad and angry because DG is scheduled to sign in the afternoon from 01:00-02:00 PM. Unfortunately, I have a retirement ceremony to go to at 01:30. So I won't be able to attend after all.. :-(

http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/info/pavi...

message 19: by EvaS (new) - rated it 2 stars

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Kristen wrote: "SPOILER! BTW, who is that guys who shows up in the stones looking for Claire - named Kenneth. Is he here just to add another angle to the story and make it newer for the readers?"

Isn't he the Native Indian guy who went through with his group of 5 (or such) with Raymond's help??

Ellen W-S | 50 comments Yeah! My copy arrived today! Will start it tonight! Enjoy!

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) Eva - no he's not. You'll find out who he is in the graphic novel.

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) Kristen wrote: "SPOILER! BTW, who is that guys who shows up in the stones looking for Claire - named Kenneth. Is he here just to add another angle to the story and make it newer for the readers?"

I think it's just to add something else for the readers to show that Geillie (sorry about spelling don't have the novel on hand) had conspirators and people who knew she was going through the stones as well as following her through.

message 23: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments SPOILER...

I got my book this morning. Loved it. Read through it quickly and will read again and again...but I was curious as to who Kenneth was too...but I am thinking Geilles called him "husband". Now my memory is not that good so I need to go back and read to see if I can figure out who he is/was. And, I'm not buying the panel where Leghaire is cryijng and said she "didn't mean it" when Claire almost got burned at the stake, drowned or whatever. I hope it isn't an attempt to redeem Leghaire..though I am liking her just a wee bit better since she went to Claire in Echo and asked her to go back to America to take care of Henri-Christian...even said "please"!!! But I still don't like her and I can't think about Geneva without a big lump in my belly. Jamie told Claire to never have sex with anyone but him even when he knew she did it only to get him out of the Bastille. OK, getting off subject...we are talking about The Exile. :)

message 24: by Kris (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kris | 16 comments Yeah, I felt no extra compassion for Leghair. Except, I think we can all agree that in general, love sick teenagers aren't always thinking with their heads. While she could have figured something bad would happen (burn first, ask questions later), she probably just didn't think through all the repercussions. God, why am I defending her?

In general I liked it, though I did think the men all looked an too much alike. And if you were femail, you were either a matronly woman, or a model for the St. Paulie Girl label. I wonder what it would look like if a woman did the drawings? Weeeeellll, it's a way to gain a male audience...

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Wasn't it a woman who drew them? I thought it was.

message 26: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I just looked it up by googling Hoang Nguyen artist, and his blog popped up. It is a male. I thought it was a female too.

message 27: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Most graphic novels are like that though. The female characters are busty and curvy... it's that whole anime style of drawing.

message 28: by JC (new) - rated it 4 stars

JC (jmnc) | 27 comments It's here! It's here!! *dancedancedance*

message 29: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments All the men DID look alike...I thought so too. Thats why I said I had a hard time telling who was who and from panel to panel...Jamie kept looking different and it wasnt because of his expressions....but I still loved it! I love anything to do with Outlander and Jamie/Claire...just keep those other women away from him! He is Claire's!!!!!!

message 30: by Kimberly (last edited Sep 21, 2010 05:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments *********possible spoiler**********

I've looked through Outlander and haven't found any references to a Kenneth. Has anyone else found him in there??

Update: I did an Amazon "search inside this book" on Outlander and Kenneth didn't pop up. It seems Kenneth doesn't appear in the original story after all. Now I don't feel so bad that I don't remember him.

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments So, what does everyone think of it who has read it? My husband was nice enough to watch our daughter while I sat down and read it all in a sitting ;)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) ************SPOILER*****************

I believe Kenneth is just a new character specifically for the graphic novel because Murtaugh (sorry about spelling don't have the book with me) kills him near the end of the novel.

Now I haven't searched it or anything but I think that Geillie asked him to come to help her with the Stuart uprising as well as helping to "get rid" of Jamie.

I don't think he's vital to the Outlander story but I think he works well in the graphic novel.

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Sarah--I think you're right. I'm just so used to Diana picking up some seemingly insignificant character or even and making it into something big later on ;) I think it's neat that the graphic novel is really stand-alone; it's insightful for sure, but certainly not a necessary read.

Megan I loved this book so much. Very important question: When is the next graphic novel coming out? Please tell me that she will have another one!

message 35: by Wan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments If there another graphic novel, plase let it be from little Jem's. I love him.

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (les2car) | 131 comments I got my book yesterday and read it last night. I did like it because I love the whole series and it is always fun to read about Jamie and Claire. I also really like Murtagh and enjoyed seeing some of the events from his point of view. However, I don't think graphic novels are my thing. I don't think I would have enjoyed this story at all if I hadn't read Outlander. I much prefer a regular book where there is more room to expand on the details of the events that are happening. I doubt that I will ever buy another one - even from Diana Gabaldon.

message 37: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I'm not a Graphic Novel fan but I'll keep buying them from DG. Anything that gives me more Jamie is fine by me!

I'm half way through it, (Glee and Sons of Anarchy were on last night, otherwise I'd be finished) and I'm loving the artwork and seeing what Jamie was doing around Claire's story. I loved how he thinks about her all the time and how he stayed to make sure she was safe... I love Jamie *swoon*.

message 38: by Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (last edited Sep 22, 2010 08:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments I read it last night and thought it was okay. I love anything to do with Jamie and Claire, of course...but, I'm not a big fan of graphic novels. Not enough story, imo (less words, more pictures). Which isn't always a bad thing but I just felt like this jumped around to much and didn't flow very well. The artwork was also inconsistent. It was very good in some parts and in others it seemed off. I didn't like the facial expressions...Jamie's face looked different in almost every scene. Overall, it was neat to read but I wasn't overly impressed.

message 39: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (les2car) | 131 comments Jessa ♥§♥metalgirl80♥§♥ wrote: "I read it last night and thought it was okay. I love anything to do with Jamie and Claire, of course...but, I'm not a big fan of graphic novels. Not enough story, imo (less words, more pictures)...."

Jessa, I agree completely. It did not seem to flow well at all and there really wasn't enough story for me. I am sure this is just the normal function of a graphic novel, which apparently isn't a media form I like.

Claire's boobs did get bigger and bigger as the book went on! Diana mentioned it in on her blog and she was right.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments Yeah, Leslie...I read the boob blurb. I think it was actually in back of the graphic novel also.

Oh, and it was interesting to read that Diana wrote comics for Disney. That was unexpected. :)

message 41: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I thought it was too, but it was also really awesome.

message 42: by Wan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Got mine, read it. Love the story, I know it's not really flow as of Claire's POV. & I guess, Kenneth has never met Claire (when she was concious) that's whay he didn't exist in the Oulander.

Soooo agreed with Jessa, pictures were so inconsistent. I'm not at all impressed with the graphics. If there's anymore graphic novel, DG please, if you are reading this, go to the Japanese, the grand master of anime.

Did you all read the back? (Of course you all did, I'm sure.) DG mentioned Gabrielle Aubry as Jamie's look-alike. He still my #1.

message 43: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I'm betting that the fan who photoshopped that picture is stoked!

message 44: by EvaS (last edited Sep 23, 2010 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Wan "HighlandLass" wrote: "DG mentioned Gabrielle Aubry as Jamie's look-alike. He still my #1..."

FINALLY. Something in writing other than her comments on random posts. And that is why he's been my avatar since day 1 (plus, he's HOT).......

message 45: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments If only he was an actor, he would definitely be the most perfect.

message 46: by EvaS (new) - rated it 2 stars

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Wendy wrote: "If only he was an actor, he would definitely be the most perfect."

I know... even though my mental image has always been Gabriel, I would be just fine with another guy playing the part as long as he CAN act.

message 47: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Yeah, but maybe he's this undiscovered talent... it's possible.

message 48: by Christy (new)

Christy | 35 comments At a reading last night, Diana mentioned a Scottish actor that I'd never heard of (he's a stage actor I believe) as her #1 choice to play Jamie. He's involved in "Outlander, The Musical" but I just can't remember what his name is. She brought his picture and he's pretty cute--very tall, muscular, Scottish and a redhead.

message 49: by EvaS (new) - rated it 2 stars

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Wendy wrote: "Yeah, but maybe he's this undiscovered talent... it's possible."

One can dream....

message 50: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Christy wrote: "At a reading last night, Diana mentioned a Scottish actor that I'd never heard of (he's a stage actor I believe) as her #1 choice to play Jamie. He's involved in "Outlander, The Musical" but I jus..."

Oh man! I wish we could find out his name! Where is that Compuserve that you can email her at?

« previous 1 3