Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Group Reads > Book Group

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Sep 20, 2010 09:25AM) (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Since several of us have commented that we'd like to read Hide In Plain Sight by Marta Perry I thought that perhaps we could start a book group amongst our members. We could pick a book to read each month and then start a new discussion thread to talk about our thoughts it. It might be a good way to help those of us with huge To Be Read piles to choose which book to read next! Perhaps we could have polls to help us decide?

So far Diane, Camille and I like this idea - anyone else? And would October perhaps be a good month to start this, giving us enough time to make sure we all get around to reading the book?

message 2: by pam (new)

pam (heidigirl5) | 18 comments yea i like the idea too i have a lot on my to read list and it will help me to get them read.

message 3: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments October 1st would be a great time to start it! I am almost done my current book and I can get another one read for Net Galley by the end of the month.

message 4: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Another way to pick our monthly books is to all become friends and compare our books to search for similar ones to be read.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) That's a good idea, Diane, I've just been having a look to see what books we have in common! I shall add those of us who are interested in this book group and compile a list of common to-read books.

Are we all agreed to start Hide In Plain Sight on October 1st?

message 6: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments YUP!!!!

message 7: by pam (new)

pam (heidigirl5) | 18 comments yes

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Sep 25, 2010 03:18AM) (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Yay! Can't wait :) It looks like it'll be a nice, light read for in between all the coursework that starts for me in October.

Also, for future reference, here are the books that we seem to have in common on our to-read shelves:

Diane, Heidi and I all have Lydia's Charm marked as to-read.
Diane and I both have The Redemption of Sarah Cain, When the Heart Cries, The Secret and The Postcard marked as to-read.
Heidi, Lorie and I all have Plain Jayne on our to-read shelf.
And I'm waiting to hear back from Camille about what books she has.

Please correct me if I've recorded these books wrong or if you don't actually have them in your possession yet! I'll also note that you have books waiting to be read that I've already read and would be perfectly happy to read again for the sake of a group read.

message 9: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments If you look at my books, I have some more folders under To-Read called Downloaded to Kindle, Kindle Wish-List and Net-Galley. The ones that are in downloaded and net galley have already been purchased but not the ones on my wish list. I don't mind buying it to read if I have to; although I have plenty to read now.

message 10: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I just got the next two books after Hide in Plain Sight for $3.96 each for the kindle. I grabbed them! What a deal!

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Thanks Diane, think I've figured out your to-read system now! And wow, that's an excellent deal!

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 81 comments I am so in for the Oct read, Hide In Plain Sight, even though I have already read it I would love to reread it again as a group.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Brenda, so glad you're joining us too!

message 14: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
I'd like to join too. I went to my library and asked them to order this book when you all talked about doing it. They usually get books in pretty fast that I ask them to order. If it comes in I will read with you all too.

message 15: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Welcome Lorie! I guess you have read several Amish series! It will be great to have you along in the group read as well!

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Excellent, I'm so glad that this idea is taking off!

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Okay, I was wondering how you would all like to choose November's book? I was thinking that I start a poll halfway through October and we can all vote for the book we'd most like to read. There are two ways we can choose the book:
1. I have a list of all the books in common on our "to-read" shelves
or
2. We could each nominate a book that we own and want to read.

Please let me know which one you prefer!

message 18: by Lorie (new)

I don't really care if I own it or not. I will try to find it if we decided to read it. I like the idea of picking books on our to read list but if you do that, you will pick two or three and let us pick from those, right? I kind of like the idea of picking a different author every month, so we can experience the different authors out there. I used to only read Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter and have found that there are other Amish fiction authors out there that are GREAT! Just my thoughts.

message 19: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I agree with Lorie! If it is on my to-read list and I own it, great; otherwise, I don't mind buying more Amish fiction!

message 20: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I'm totally up for reading anything too. If I don't own it (which I probably don't) I'll either get it from the library, or buy it! :) I like to be a team player! :)

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Lorie wrote: "I don't really care if I own it or not. I will try to find it if we decided to read it. I like the idea of picking books on our to read list but if you do that, you will pick two or three and let..."

Yep, I thought we'd have a list of 5 or 6 books and put them in a poll and then all vote on them.

A different author each month is also a good idea. I too had only read Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter when I joined this group.

I also don't mind buying a book to read on here - one book a month isn't very expensive and it's definitely worth it as I've discovered some great books through this group because of recommendations. My library has started stocking some of Beverly Lewis's books which is a lovely surprise as you don't come across much Amish fiction in Scotland!

On the subject of new authors, does anyone have a specific author they've been dying to try? I have one of Cindy Woodsmall's books waiting to be read that I've heard lots of good things about. I'd also like to try Shelley Shepard Gray. What about everyone else?

message 22: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Any of the authors that you have listed in our group is fine with me. I would love to read a wider variety of Amish authors too!

message 23: by Lorie (new)

Some that I have been wanting to read are Down to the Bone Karen Harper and Katie's Redemption Patricia Davids. But I'm game for anything too.

message 24: by Lorie (new)

Those are both new authors to me...

message 25: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I got an idea. Let's have everyone who is participating in November each give a recommendation. Then we can pick it using Randon.org. Easy enough!

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Good idea, Diane! Shall we each suggest one book we want to read?

message 27: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments This will be a good way for me to start raeding all the other non-Amish books that I have downloaded. That way I won't get my Amish stories confused for book discussions!

message 28: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 17 comments Camille wrote: "I'm totally up for reading anything too. If I don't own it (which I probably don't) I'll either get it from the library, or buy it! :) I like to be a team player! :)"

Me too---
Jeanne