Q&A with Margaret Atwood discussion

Margaret says Hi

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Atwood | 16 comments Mod
Hello Goodreads Readers -- Here I am, sitting in a room in New York. I will be checking for your questions over the next five days, and posting my answers from green rooms, airports, hotel rooms and the like. Tonight I'll be at the 92nd Street Y, reading from and talking about The Year of the Flood, and - since Valerie Martin will be doing the subsequent interview -- about everything else...

message 2: by smetchie (new)

smetchie Hi Margaret!!

(wow.)

message 3: by Sacha (new)

Sacha (sachazscoblic) | 2 comments Hi! (double wow.)

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 1 comments This is amazing. Hello! I just have a general question after reading A Handmaid's Tale. Would you class yourself as a feminist writer?

message 5: by Cami (new)

Cami (camilovesbooks) | 11 comments Loved how you gave the slap-down on your blog yesterday! I had my husband read it; he laughed and said, "People should NOT mess with her!"

message 6: by smetchie (new)

smetchie "SUN: champagne-swilling jet-setter. Truth: I prefer Scotch, and use public transport."

HAH HAHAHA HA!

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 1 comments Hi Margaret Atwood (!!!!),

I am a huge fan of "Handmaid's Tale" and "The Blind Assain," and I absolutely love your poetry. I've noticed that you often use images from nature, and I would like to know if you spend a lot of time outdoors, camping, etc. I would also like to know how often you write poetry. Do you write poems while you're working on your novels or just between novels? And how long do you typically revise a poem before you feel content with it?

Thank you so much for your time.
Rebecca

message 8: by Shannon (last edited Sep 20, 2010 09:22AM) (new)

Shannon | 1 comments I liked Rebecca's question about camping. I listened to The Year of the Flood while on a camping trip to Big Bend this winter. Being in the desert, listening to your book, and reading Steph Davis' High Infatuation also on the trip, made me go vegetarian for the next 6 months. Were you advocating vegetarianism in the book? I admit I am impressionable in general so maybe that was not your intention.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (thebookishdame) | 31 comments So looking forward to your comments. I loved the recent one that some dear man had wondering if he was the lone wolf amoung mostly women readers of your works. LOL One of us gave him a gentle "slap down!" :] ....forever reminding them....bless their hearts
Deb/BookishDame

message 10: by Heidi (last edited Sep 20, 2010 03:03PM) (new)

Heidi (hoogie) | 1 comments I am amazed that you are able to fit us Goodreaders in while you are traveling and giving talks. My library book group here in Portland, Oregon is discussing "Oryx and Crake" tomorrow (Tuesday) night. http://multcolib.org/books/groups/sch... ...In past years we've read "Blind Assassin" and "Handmaid's Tale." Not only do you write great books, you write great books for book group discussion.

I'm grateful to the other readers in this forum who have answered others' questions with great links that I can share with the other people in my group.

I am also looking forward to seeing you talk along with Ursula LeGuin here in Portland on the 23rd. You both are two of my favorite authors, enough to get me to the Arts and Lectures series for the first time.
http://www.literary-arts.org/pal/

Oh...and I have to be careful when I discuss "Oryx and Crake" with my group, because as soon as I finished I had to read "Year of the Flood." I don't want to ruin their future read with spoiler details.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberslibrary) "Oryx and Crake" and "The Year of the Flood" are both incredible books. I love that your fiction is intelligent. Please keep writing intelligent fiction that makes people consider the society they live in, and its future.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberslibrary) Question: How did you prepare yourself for writing "Oryx and Crake" and "The Year of the Flood"? Meaning, do you research certain topics? How much time do you spend doing research for a book, if any? Do your creative ideas stem from your knowledge in science and society?

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberslibrary) Did you write as a child? Also, do your dreams ever have an effect on your writing, and vice versa?

message 14: by Chantel (new)

Chantel | 1 comments Hi Margaret, I've read several of your books and am struck by how diverse your topics are; far more so than most writers. Is it difficult to write such different novels or do you just like to mix things up a lot?

message 15: by Randy (new)

Randy Hello Margaret from Arkansas,

I've recently had a fine experience on Oryx & Crake as well as A Handmaid's Tale.

I'm an organic gardener and was wondering if you have time to garden or keep house plants and if you do, what are a few of your favorite plants?

Looking forward this month to The Year of the Flood.

message 16: by Minnie (new)

Minnie (minnieestelle) | 2 comments Margaret Atwood, it wonderful that you've taken the time to answer our thousands of questions. I just want to say I've read A handmaid's Tale years ago and really enjoyed it. I look forward to you answers the many questions about The Year of the Flood. I promise not to add to that one, just read you comments.

Thank you for being a wonderful writer.

message 17: by Emilycbelanger (new)

Emilycbelanger | 3 comments What fascinated me most about Year of the Flood was how different the story seemed in this book, compared to Oryx and Crake, simply because Jimmy saw the events differently than Ren and Toby did.

What led you to retell this story through the perspective of women? What led you to tell Oryx and Crake through the perspective of a man?

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (thebookishdame) | 31 comments From her interview on NPR, Ms Atwood says that both of her books actually run simultaneously in the telling. So, she's not telling the men's tale before the women's tale in reality of the story.

message 19: by Vonney (new)

Vonney Young (ysgillen67) | 2 comments Ms Atwood, it is such a pleasure to join in a conversation with you even though I have only read "The Handmaid's Tale". I have downloaded about 6 or 7 of your other works on my Kindle and will eventually work all of them into my schedule. I wanted to read some of your poetry, but when I did a search at Amazon.com up came about 80 pages of your writings. Were you born with a pen in hand? Just kidding. Which of your poems did you really enjoy writing? Which book? Which short story or article?

message 20: by Joann (new)

Joann (joann_l) | 5 comments Margaret, thank you for taking the time during your tour to do this. I've enjoyed reading the many questions and comments. I'm not sure I can come up with something new and interesting to ask. I was glad to learn about your blog. http://marg09.wordpress.com/

It makes good reading, as does all your work I've read. I particularly liked Cat's Eye and The Handmaid's Tale.

message 21: by Juanita (new)

Juanita My sisters and I have started a Margaret Atwood book club after meeting you at a book reading of The Year of the Flood at the RBG. We've read most of your books, but thought it was time for a re-read.
One question that still lingers is - throughout your books you have a theme of interest in where food comes from, what food is, and where it is grown - I was wondering about your own relationship with the food you eat? What has inspired you to pay such close attention to these details?

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethmorey) Wow! Hi! :)

message 23: by Joann (new)

Joann (joann_l) | 5 comments I wonder how you arrive at the titles for your work. Is this a chicken or the egg thing...do your publishers offer input? How important do you think a title is? I suppose I'm interested because as a visual artist I often find it very difficult to to title my work. Clearly, it's a more important decision for authors and for written work. Just curious.