Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > The Pros and Cons of going to concerts...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments PROS

Hearing good music live
Element of surprise with set lists, etc.
Getting out of the house.

CONS

Parking, driving, etc.
High ticket costs
Sometimes needing to stand
Other fans are idiots sometimes
Easier to stay home

What am I missing on the "pros" or "cons" side?

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "PROS

Hearing good music live
Element of surprise with set lists, etc.
Getting out of the house.

CONS

Parking, driving, etc.
High ticket costs
Sometimes needing to stand
Other fans are..."

You nailed it except for one more con:

Feeling old.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Cons

MUSIC WAAAAAY TOO LOUD TO ENJOY

The idiot next to you singing every lyric at the top of their lungs (to be heard over the music that's too loud?)

Too much bass.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was once at a Tom Waits concert with one of those "singing audience members" and at one point the guy said "Can we sing with you, Tom?" and about 100 people in the crowd yelled "NO!"

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm with Phil on the way too loud. It's gotten ridiculous.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i took my eldest son and his friend to see an outdoor festival concert featuring the allman brothers a few years back. they wanted to go stand close to the stage by the speakers and i was like "go ahead, i'll be right here in the back waiting." i

i love loud music but cannot take extended periods of it.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments and on pros there are usually some interesting people to check out

cons: when bands are made up almost entirely of replacement members.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments PROS:
Awesome spontaneous banter or cover songs
Energy
Dancing/moshing/singing along with 100 other like-minded people. (1000, 10l00, whatever)
Surprisingly low cover for some fantastic bands
Getting pleasantly surprised by an opening act you hadn't heard before

CONS:
Parking.
Staking out a great spot by the stage the second the doors open and having some tall jerk push his way in at the last minute and stand right in front of me.

message 9: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Definitely way too loud. Even a live band in a bar for an hour will leave me with a buzzing in my head for hours.

message 10: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Con: Pricey, watered-down stadium/arena beer

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Youndyc wrote: "Definitely way too loud. Even a live band in a bar for an hour will leave me with a buzzing in my head for hours."

That's not the band.

message 12: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Hahaha.
Veeerrrryyy funny, Larry.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Earplugs take the edge off.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments agreed sarah. not full out stopping all sound but just softening it a bit

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments although nothing says you're old at a live music event like having wads of kleenex sticking out of your ears

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That doesn't say you're old. Just says you forgot your earplugs.

message 17: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Seriously, I went to see Rush for the Snakes and Arrows tour summer before last and it irritated the crap out of me that so many people had hear plugs in! I paid $150 for those seats and I damn well wanted some ear ringing the next day for my money!!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That's your choice, but why judge others on it? Good ear plugs don't detract from the experience.

message 19: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Waste of money.

message 20: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) It's not like I spit on them or anything, SP, honest.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments OK. It's your right to be irritated. My right to enjoy the show and my good ears. I'm not at the Rush show in any case.

message 22: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Neil Peart is a god.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Not disputed. I've just never really cared for their songs.

message 24: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Amelia wrote: "Neil Peart is a god."

John Rutsey was better.

message 25: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I like my eardrums intact and with a distinct lack of gushing blood, therefore, concerts are not for me.

message 26: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Clark wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Neil Peart is a god."

John Rutsey was better."

Blasphemy!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gushing blood? I haven't had that experience. I caught Joan Jett's drummer's drumstick with my neck, and I have a friend who had his nose broken by Firewater's flying maracas, but I have never bled from the ears.
Maybe it's the earplugs?

message 28: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Amelia wrote: "Clark wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Neil Peart is a god."

John Rutsey was better."

Blasphemy!"

You're right, but that first Rush album is still my favorite.

message 29: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I was being sarcastic/overly dramatic. I have very sensitive ears though, so the loud music was quite painful for me. I've only been to 2 concerts and didn't think to bring along earplugs. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah Pi, I'm right there with you on the earplugs. I want to hear the music, yes, but prefer to skip out on the pain and the hearing loss, thanks.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yay!

I'll now admit that I wear them religiously to see other bands, but I don't always wear them when I play, and I only wear one at practice, so someday I will be deaf in my right ear but not in my left.
Someday I will be able to afford in-ear monitors and that will be a different story, but as it is if I wear both earplugs when I play, I can hear everyone but myself, and it drives me crazy.

message 32: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I only wear them to sleep at night. My husband snores and my kitten suckles his t-shirt...LOUDLY.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That sounds like a deadly combination.

message 34: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Why does your kitten wear a t-shirt?

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments My most frightening concert moment was in Cedar Falls, Iowa at a festival seating (i.e. standing up) Rolling Stones show at the UNI-Dome. Mick was in his prime, 1980, wearing those darling football player pants (white) and I was reviewing the show for the Waterloo Courier. The photographer and I were standing right in front of the stage and the crowd starting pushing people toward the stage. Bouncers were throwing people off the stage, I had the wind knocked out of me a couple times. I really wanted to leave, but I had to write my story, and I thought the photographer was kind of cute, and it was a great show so I stayed. Obviously, I did not die. But close.

message 36: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Cynthia wrote: "wearing those darling football player pants (white)"

He looked like a fruit.

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments Well Clark, I thought he looked completely delicious. This was 30 years ago, so he doesn't rock my boat as much these days.

message 38: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sarah pi - my son uses in ear monitors mostly because he wears hearing aids anyway and this keeps out the ambient noise especially if it is an outdoor event. he loves them although they are expensive. downside is that if they are not mixed right and you cannot get the sound guys attention you can't just move closer or farther away from a floor monitor. i have heard they are best for drummers

message 39: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Sep 22, 2010 07:00PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Con: Getting thrown out of St. Andrew's Hall for trying to get on stage during a Fleshtones show.

Pro: The drinks were cheaper at the bar down the street while I was waiting for my ride home.

message 40: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Barb wrote, LOL - see if Gus agree's with you on that.
*evil laugh*

Wait, what am I agreeing on?

Big CON: living in a town with a lack of quality music venues.

Case in point: I'm seeing Bob Dylan perform here in a couple of weeks; he's playing at truly one of the worst venues around, but since he comes to Charlotte once every never, I felt it was important enough to suffer through a shitty venue.

On the flip side, I bypassed the Pixies' show here a couple of weeks ago because the Ovens Auditorium is truly dire, where sound goes to die. The Pixies deserved a better place to play.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments How about the Evening Muse? And the Tremont?
I love the Evening Muse.

message 42: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) The Evening Muse is one place that's good, but there's more bad venues than good. Which explains why a lot of big-name acts bypass Charlotte and will perform either in Raleigh or Asheville (which is home to the Orange Peel, one of the greatest venues in which to catch a show).

message 43: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Gus wrote: "Barb wrote, LOL - see if Gus agree's with you on that.
*evil laugh*

Wait, what am I agreeing on?

Big CON: living in a town with a lack of quality music venues.

Case in point: I'm seeing Bob Dy..."

Gus, I think it was in response to my statement that Neil Peart is a god.

message 44: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Oh.

I don't disagree with that statement. Peart is a drumming god, but he's never been one of my favorites. I'm particularly mistrustful of drummers who don't like to improvise, and Neil Peart is one such drummer who doesn't do so. I've seen Rush in concert several times, and I'll be damned if Peart doesn't play the same notes over and over again...might as well have saved my money and heard him perform "Limelight" on my stereo. But I do think he's an outstanding drummer, though, just not one of my favorites.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gus wrote: "The Evening Muse is one place that's good, but there's more bad venues than good. Which explains why a lot of big-name acts bypass Charlotte and will perform either in Raleigh or Asheville (which i..."
I'll admit I viewed Charlotte as a wasteland until the Evening Muse came along.
The Tremont was ok, and there was a place called Garbo's that was fun for the minute it was open. It's hard to resist Asheville. The air tastes good, the food tastes good, the beer tastes good (have you had the Pisgah Solstice?).

message 46: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Hence the *evil laugh* from Barb after she said it.

message 47: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Sarah, yes I have.

And Asheville, as a favorite stop for musicians, is pretty awesome. Moogfest is coming there next month, and I, for one, am ridiculously excited about attending.

message 48: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Cons...they always start late and I get up at 5 am so I'm always tired, unless I take the day of and day after off work. :(

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That's a con for me too. I'd rather play earlier, and I know that most of the people who come to see us these days would rather we play earlier.

Gus - do they bottle that beer? I have a friend from Asheville visiting this weekend, and she asked what I wanted, and I said "The Laughing Seed" - the entire restaurant - but I'll kick myself if I could have said a sixpack of Solstice.

message 50: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I don't think so, at least not in any local grocery store or beer distributor.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.