Zombies! discussion

Self-Promotion > ROT & RUIN now available

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 69 comments Hey, guys, my new YA zombie novel is now in stores: ROT & RUIN (Simon & Schuster, hardcover). It's also available for e-book readers.

In the zombie-infested world Benny has grown up in, every teenager must work once they turn fifteen—or they'll lose their food rations. Benny isn't interested in taking on the family business, but he reluctantly agrees to train as a zombie killer with his boring big brother, Tom. He expects a dull job, whacking zombies for cash. What he discovers is a vocation that will teach him what it really means to be human.
As Benny's worldview is challenged again and again by the lessons he learns from Tom, he is forced to confront another horrifying reality: sometimes, the most terrible monsters are the human ones.

Critically acclaimed author Jonathan Maberry crafts a terrifying future vision of the zombie apocalypse, brought to life through the rich emotional struggles of a teenager trying to find his place in a tumultuous new world.

Praise for….. RUIN & RUIN:

"…an action-packed, thought-provoking look at life—and death." --Kirkus Book Review

"A thrilling triumph, full of action, gripping conflict, soul-fullness, gore, solemnity, and hope. A coming of age piece honed in the ashes of the apocalypse." ---Fiendishgly Bookish

"Thrilling, enticing, and surprisingly touching!" --Heather Brewer -Bestselling author of the Chronicles of Vlad

"This is a romping, stomping adventure. Anyone with a pulse will enjoy this novel, and anyone with a brain will find plenty of food for thought inside!" --Michael Northrop -bestselling author of Gentlemen

"George Romero meets The Catcher in the Rye in this poignant and moving coming of age novel set during zombie times." --Nancy Holder -NY Times bestselling author of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Pretty Little Devils

"Captured my heart from the first page and refused to let go!" --Maria V. Snyder -multi award-winner and bestselling author of Poison Study

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Keim It's a great book!

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 69 comments Thanks, Nancy!

message 4: by Nate (new)

Nate Francois | 3 comments This sounds familiar from a short story I read recently in a zombie anthology. I was really pulled into this world and wanted to know what would happen next. Sounds like now I'll get the chance!

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 69 comments You're correct... ROT & RUIN is the expanded version of my short story, "Family Business" (which was published in the anthology THE NEW DEAD edited by Christopher Golden). I just completed a sequel, DUST & DECAY, which will be published next year.

message 6: by Cj (new)

Cj | 38 comments Reading it, and loving it. Somebody needs to chain Mr Maberry to a desk, ala "Misery" and keep him hopped up on Starbucks writing more Zombie novels. Now wheres my sledgehammer. (Kidding). Get back to Joe.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Keim Just wait until you read DUST AND DECAY. . .

message 8: by Cj (new)

Cj | 38 comments Hey, not fair. BUT, Joe Ledger's VENGEANCE deserves to print.

message 9: by Fallon (new)

Fallon Blake I'm reading it now and I love it. I'm excited to hear there will be a sequel!

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian (bcarroll03) | 1 comments Wow John, I just finished reading Family Business in The New Dead zombie anthology and was very impressed. You're getting my first 5* review so far in the anthology and I have enjoyed every story thus far. I will definitely be buying Rot and Ruin.

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 69 comments Thanks, Brian. That story formed the kernel from which my new novel, ROT & RUIN grew. Glad you enjoyed it!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 78 comments I need to buy Rot and Ruin. Family Business was my favorite story in The New Dead. I love it when a zombie story (or any horror story) moves me to tears.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 69 comments Glad that it touched you so much, Rachel

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments I am on page 115 and have already been moved to tears by Rot & Ruin. I can't wait to pick up the book again tonight!

message 15: by Flint (new)

Flint | 16 comments I wasn't really a fan of the short story

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian Sandusky (idgs) | 59 comments Ah yes, I remember that short story from The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology! It was a good read, looking forward to picking this one up.

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary | 18 comments My cousin, DL Snell, picked up a copy of this while he was at HorrorRealm. It sounds like it's really good from all the reviews it's getting so I'm going to have to twist his arm and make him finish it fast so I can read it as soon as I'm done with The Tale of the Vampire Bride!

message 18: by Flint (new)

Flint | 16 comments Were they giving them out for free?

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary | 18 comments I don't think so, I think he bought one.