Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Chan Woo Park's Joint Security Area

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments This is a really well done movie involving the joint security area of North and South Korea. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely loved Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, but I haven't seen this yet. For about a year, though, a friend of mine would tell me about how good it was everytime I saw him. I'll check it out soon.

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments Let me know when you do! I have Oldboy, Sympathy in my queue at netflix. If this is an example of Chan Woo Park's typical work I am going to love his movies as I do Kim Ki-Duk.

message 4: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Meg, very good film! An intelligent South Korean action flick with a flair for deep characterization and human tragedy.

His latest film is a strange hybrid: kinda like ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST made as a romantic science fiction comedy. It's called I"M A CYBORG, BUT THAT'S OK.

message 5: by James (new)

James Marsh (marshy00) I've seen this film a few times over the years and set me on the path to follow Park's career - and what a good idea that turned out to be! It's a bit more of a traditional genre thriller than his later stuff, but JSA was only his first (or possibly second) feature film and so he was still finding his style and finding work! But there are themes and visual ticks present that will crop up again and again throughout his body of work.

I'm A Cyborg is also cool, and as Alex says above, different in tone again to his Vengeance trilogy. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest meets Raising Arizona, I thought (although I didn't like the ending).

message 6: by David (new)

David (sfdavide) | 33 comments I loved this film. It is a great story soldiers, all Korean, some from the North and some from the south and how they relate to one another