Mock Printz 2023 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mock Printz 2011 > Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 27 comments I don't see this one as winning anything, except maybe a Notable or Quick Pick place on a list. I did n't think Leigha was well developed. I thought more was going to happen with her and Will. The Purple character could have been more intriguing as well. How she and Will were connected could have been a much more developed and interesting story. On the other hand, I did like Will's personality and his relationship with Devon. And there are n't many books about deaf kids.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments I liked the story too. Will's sense of humor was tinged with sadness. It read like a first book in a series; many introductions to characters but nothing deep. I wanted more and would have been willing to read more because I enjoyed the writing. I look forward to reading more by Berk but, I agree, not Printz material.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber Johnson I agree with Dana that Leigha was underdeveloped, when there was the opportunity to reveal a lot more about her character. I thought the writing style was fun and the main character likable, but not award material.

message 4: by YA Reader (new)

YA Reader | 5 comments I agree with you all on this one. I loved Will and his situation (And Devon)and it was a great book for younger YA readers because of the humor. But I was underwhelmed with the mystery and the supporting characters.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.