Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Religion or Lack Thereof

Comments Showing 1-50 of 719 (719 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
So, yeah... What do you believe? What do you think happens when you die?

I get the feeling that this topic is a terrible mistake. But whaaatever. Let's just hope my other Modly friends don't yell at me.

Yeah... Try to not yell at people. That's all I ask.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments YEAH PEOPLES!! DON'T YELL OR BE MEAN!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

message 3: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
Um, Mandy. I think you just yelled and were sort of mean. :)

I believe when you die you are dead and know nothing until Jesus's second coming.

message 4: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments This is what I believe,

when you die your body decomposes and stuff and so does your brain and memories and everything.

but you sorta go into a newborn I guess, not your memories or anything at all. You just are a newborn. I mean I don't know what the heck else could happen so yeah.

message 5: by Annemarie, hi (last edited Sep 18, 2010 07:42PM) (new)

I think something awesome happens. Actually that's more of a hope.

All science points to nothing happens. And that deeply depresses me. Like, really, just complete nonexistence after death freaks me out and is one of my greatest fear.

Now, I don't believe in heaven or reincarnation. Well, reincarnation to an extent. I'm sort of wishy washy with that.

But, I just hope that when we die... I dunno there is something more. Something we can't, at this state of mind, even comprehend.

I just really really really want to exist. Because nothingness baffles me.

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Well, I'm thinking of what to say.

I believe in life after death. Resurrection. I don't know if any if you know what that word means...or do you? Anyway, it's what we celebrate every Easter. Jesus's resurrection.

I need to think about this some more about how to properly phrase this. I do better when people ask me specific questions.

message 7: by Elliott (last edited Sep 18, 2010 07:44PM) (new)

Why don't you believe in heaven? I take it you don't believe in God, either.

message 8: by Elliott (new)

Mandy wrote: "Well, I'm thinking of what to say.

I believe in life after death. Resurrection. I don't know if any if you know what that word means...or do you? Anyway, it's what we celebrate every Easter. Jesu..."

I believe that resurrection is the day when Jesus will come back and raise all the dead in Christ back to life and we will go to heaven with him.

message 9: by Mandy (last edited Sep 18, 2010 07:46PM) (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Juliet wrote: "I think something awesome happens. Actually that's more of a hope.

All science points to nothing happens. And that deeply depresses me. Like, really, just complete nonexistence after death freaks ..."

I don't believe there is nothing after death, myself. I believe there is something for us. Wait a minute so I can look something up and mention something else.

message 10: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Lavendarlol wrote: "Why don't you believe in heaven?"

Because I don't believe in Hell. Or God, for that matter. There probably is some higher power though... Or not.

message 11: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments How about we all go to heaven?
There, life after death made easy.

On the other hand....I was watching this one show one day on TV and it talked about people who died for like a minute (aka their heart stopped for a short amount of time) they said they saw things, one lady said she saw a tunnel with scary things, another said she saw a gate with a man telling her she shouldn't die yet....o.O

Seriously, what happens after death?????!!!!! I NEED TO KNOW. kay kay done ranting.

message 12: by Acacia (last edited Sep 18, 2010 07:46PM) (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I believe we're a big sack of blood and organs and muscles and electronic-brain-firings and when we die that all stops being. And that's pretty much it.

message 13: by Mandy (last edited Sep 18, 2010 07:47PM) (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Juliet wrote: "Lavendarlol wrote: "Why don't you believe in heaven?"

Because I don't believe in Hell. Or God, for that matter. There probably is some higher power though... Or not."

So do you believe that this higher power that you are talking about it like the Force in Star Wars? I know that sounds funny, but is that what you are saying? Like it is some energy field that we are linked too? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

message 14: by Elliott (last edited Sep 18, 2010 07:47PM) (new)

The reasons why I believe in God:

I've seen what he does in my life and other peoples lives. Once when I was so depressed about not having a boyfriend (I know, pretty lame, but that's who I was/ maybe still am) I just sat in my room and poured out my heart to God. I felt this peace inside me. This love. That couldn't have happened on its own.

message 15: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Talia wrote: "How about we all go to heaven?

On the other hand....I was watching this one show one day on TV and it talked about people who died for like a minute (aka the..."

Well, in 60 maybe, 70 or so years. If statics are right, you will find that answer.

message 16: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Lavendarlol wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Well, I'm thinking of what to say.

I believe in life after death. Resurrection. I don't know if any if you know what that word means...or do you? Anyway, it's what we celebrate ever..."

Mmmhm. I actually want to ask you something, but I have to leave soon.

message 17: by Elliott (new)

Mandy wrote: "Lavendarlol wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Well, I'm thinking of what to say.

I believe in life after death. Resurrection. I don't know if any if you know what that word means...or do you? Anyway, it's wh..."

What do you want to ask me?

message 18: by Elliott (new)

Talia wrote: "How about we all go to heaven?

On the other hand....I was watching this one show one day on TV and it talked about people who died for like a minute (aka the..."

I think people who have near death experiences and see things like that are just hallucinating or dreaming.

message 19: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments Juliet wrote: "Talia wrote: "How about we all go to heaven?

On the other hand....I was watching this one show one day on TV and it talked about people who died for like a minu..."

Hopefully I'll still be alive by that time...if I'm not then I'll know what happens after death anyway.

message 20: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Mandy wrote: "Juliet wrote: "Lavendarlol wrote: "Why don't you believe in heaven?"

Because I don't believe in Hell. Or God, for that matter. There probably is some higher power though... Or not."

So do you bel..."

Um, just something more then us. You know... Just one God is silly in my opinion though. It's such a Human thing to think.

message 21: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments Lavendarlol wrote: "Talia wrote: "How about we all go to heaven?

On the other hand....I was watching this one show one day on TV and it talked about people who died for like a minu..."

True...

message 22: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Juliet wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Juliet wrote: "Lavendarlol wrote: "Why don't you believe in heaven?"

..."

I see. How is it such a human thing to think?

message 23: by Elliott (new)

It's a human thing to think, because that's the way God made us. He made us so we could be his children and his friends. Of course our brains would be wired to think that there is only one God.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy (runawaymarbles) | 1017 comments When you die, you're gone. Period. Poof. We get about seventy years on earth, and to expect eternity in paradise is kidding ourselves. There is no big man in the sky pushing us around. And if there is, I think I'd like to hit him.

Also, about hell: Name one punishment that is so terrible that you'd have to be in ETERNAL pain. A century? Easily. A millenia? Sure. But eternity? I can't even wrap my mind around the idea of eternity and I can't imagine being in pain that long.

message 25: by Mandy (last edited Sep 18, 2010 07:53PM) (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Lavendarlol wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Lavendarlol wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Well, I'm thinking of what to say.

I believe in life after death. Resurrection. I don't know if any if you know what that word means...or do you? A..."

Remind me later, I gotta go. Bye!

message 26: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments Another thing I've been thinking a lot about lately:

Is the universe really infinite???

Is there alien life???

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENS AFTER DEATH????

And...what will I have for dinner?

message 27: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Mandy wrote: "Juliet wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Juliet wrote: "Lavendarlol wrote: "Why don't you believe in heaven?"

Because I don't believe in Hell. Or God, for that matter. There probably is some higher power thou..."

It's kind of bigotry. To think one dude runs the whole show.
And a dude, pft. I think a girl would do a much better job running things.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy (runawaymarbles) | 1017 comments When you die, you're gone. Period. Poof. We get about seventy years on earth, and to expect eternity in paradise is kidding ourselves. There is no big man in the sky pushing us around. And if there is, I think I'd like to hit him.

Also, about hell: Name one punishment that is so terrible that you'd have to be in ETERNAL pain. A century? Easily. A millenia? Sure. But eternity? I can't even wrap my mind around the idea of eternity and I can't imagine being in pain that long.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I believe in Heaven and God, but Heaven confuses me. I mean, what is it? How can something go on forever? I've had doubt before, but just dying and going into nothing confuses me too much. I believe there has to be somewhere we go.

message 30: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Talia wrote: "Another thing I've been thinking a lot about lately:

Is there alien life???

And...what will I have for dinner?"

Hey, everyone thinks about those things. Because there are no answers.

message 31: by Elliott (new)

But see, the thing is, hell isn't eternal. A lot of Christians believe that, but hell doesn't last forever. Hell is just the cleansing of the Earth by fire and all the wicked will perish in it. They won't burn forever, they will just be gone forever.

message 32: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments In my mind nothing is infinite, not the universe, not heaven, nothing...except numbers but let's not go there.

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy (runawaymarbles) | 1017 comments Every version of hell I've heard of merits eternal torment. Where ater you die and you don't get into heaven, you're thrown to tartarus, or the Abyss of Horrible Torment, or Hell, or... wherever.

message 34: by Elliott (new)

What I posted above is what I believe hell is, based on what the Bible says.

message 35: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments I don't know what to believe. Nothing quite make sense.

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy (runawaymarbles) | 1017 comments But how do you know the Christian version of hell is the right now? :^|

message 37: by Elliott (new)

I trust the Bible and what it tells me.

message 38: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
I kind of believe that we're just bodies and when we die we rot and decompose and are... dead.

Afterlife in general is a pretty theory, but I don't know if I believe in it. It would be nice to, of course; but then there is the fact that living after you die makes no sense whatsoever. There isn't anything to prove that it exists.

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (mariachhile) | 8772 comments Mod
Talia wrote: "I don't know what to believe. Nothing quite make sense."

Same with me.

Kriss wrote: "I kind of believe that we're just bodies and when we die we rot and decompose and are... dead.

Afterlife in general is a pretty theory, but I don't know if I believe in it. It would be nice to, ..."

But then there's the question, is it the mind that makes thoughts, or is it your soul? Do souls even exist? And if they do, do they die with the body?

There's too many questions that can't be answered.

message 41: by Kriss (new)

Another pretty though, souls are, but I don't know about them either. I think everything is in the mind, and that certainly dies when you're dead.

message 42: by Kriss (new)

I think a lot of the questions can be answered, but not everyone likes what said answer is.

message 43: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments I'm Mormon :) And I love it.

Kriss wrote: "I think a lot of the questions can be answered, but not everyone likes what said answer is."

Yes, but there are some that physical CAN NOT be answered, unless something or someone came and told us, after they died and rotted, what happened.

message 45: by Elliott (new)

I choose to trust in God, because without him, what would be the point to life? I'd rather spend my whole life living for a lost cause, in love with Jesus, than spend it thinking there is no hope.

message 46: by Kriss (new)

Lavendarlol wrote: "I choose to trust in God, because without him, what would be the point to life? I'd rather spend my whole life living for a lost cause, in love with Jesus, than spend it thinking there is no hope."

Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean you don't believe in hope.

I think countless religions are based out of fear and mortaly torments. Humanity desires, and needs, answers to the questions that we all conjure up sometimes in our lives. Gods are the way to do that. By believing in them people manage to think that their are ways out of life once it ends.

I, however, trust in myself and do not believe in such nonsense. Again, as stated prior, afterlife and deities are awful pretty things to believe in. However, is it so bad that one day we eventually "end" and are nothing no more? If we live our lives the way we want to while they last, there is no point in fearing or regreting our death. Thus, it is not a hopeless existance.

message 47: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Juliet wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Juliet wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Juliet wrote: "Lavendarlol wrote: "Why don't you believe in heaven?"

Because I don't believe in Hell. Or God, for that matter. There probably is some hig..."

God is our Heavenly Father. He's our father. And a father must be male. However, He is married, but (S)she isn't mentioned much. I think that might because he wants her name to be kept sacred. Or something.

message 48: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Jayda wrote: "I'm Mormon :) And I love it."

=D Me too!

message 49: by Elliott (new)

Where does it say in the Bible that God is married?

Christ being married to the church is an allegory for our relationship, but I don't recall anywhere that says God has a wife...

message 50: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Juliet wrote: "Talia wrote: "Another thing I've been thinking a lot about lately:

Is there alien life???

And...what will I have for din..."

I strongly believe there are answers. Answers in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Christianity. The Bible. Scripture.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.