Q&A with Margaret Atwood discussion

religion and science as "neutral"?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Bennett (bennettauthor) | 4 comments In an interview, Ms. Atwood says that she hopes people don't see Oryx & Crake as a negative book about science--that science, like electricity, is neutral. But as I read The Year of the Flood, I had to ask myself if she believes the same thing about religion. Is religion good, bad, or neutral? From what she's written in The Handmaid's Tale, I'm tempted to believe she sees religion as overall negative for a society.

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Sherling (sherling) | 2 comments Perhaps not religion, but religious fanatics and their causes wrapped under the guise of religion.

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy Good point Natalie! Maybe we could define between the religions of the masses and the disasters that has wrought through the centuries to the spirituality of individuals.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (thebookishdame) | 31 comments I firmly agree, Randy.

message 5: by Literary (new)

Literary I think we as humans have a need for some kind of spiritual guidance but fighting or Persecuting is not a way to obtain it. Man's intervention of religion seems to be what makes it negative. I am curious to know Margaret's thoughts regarding this as well. I have not read The Year of the Flood but I am most anxious.