What's Cookin' discussion

Archives > Hot Weather Foods.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stamatia (new)

Stamatia | 19 comments Wow, Donna I always equate watermelon with desert. It never crossed my mind it might be lunch! I'm going to try it though. I bet my kids are going to love it

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Most of my cooking gets really simplified in the summertime - almost all meat or fish is grilled, and we pretty much double up on the vegetables. The most complicated I usually get is to marinate the meat or to toss the vegetables into an impromptu salad depending on what's available. Portobella mushroom burgers, turkey burgers and brats, corn and salad... simple meats and vegetables. That's pretty much all I've got in the summer.

Recently, my pantry dinner/rainy day dinner has been the pasta with asparagus and egg that Donna posted (thank you, Donna!). I love it.

Here's a copy of the original post:

Asparagus grilled with olive oil and lemon zest and garlic, on top of linguine, with a fried egg on top of that, a grinding of black pepper and a grating of parmesan. Then you break the egg and stir. Ymmmmmmmmm.

(This becomes rainy day if you roast the asparagus in the oven.)

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) I like making a tomato salad:

2 to 3 fresh diced tomatoes
1/2 of a small but diced onion
2 cloves of garlic minced
a splash of lemon & of lime juice
a dash of salt & of pepper
a couple of tablespoons of balasmic vinegar
1/4 cup of feta cheese

I just stir it all up together and eat. Since I usually do not measure I just add tomatoes till there is enough that I want to eat. I sometimes eat as a salad or with chips & crackers as a salsa. I just add more tomotes when I want more!!

message 4: by HARTATI (new)

HARTATI (hartatinurwijaya) | 4 comments Dear all,

Even I live in Greece but I always cook Indonesian dishes.Indonesia has only summer time all the time.

Vegetables Fried Rice

Ingredients:

2 cups Steam rice
1/2 cups mix vegetables cut small
1/2 onion slices
1 garlic crushed
3 tbspoon olive oil
2 tbspoon soy ketchup
salt and peppers

Pour olive oil on hot pan and saute onion and garlic till almost golden brown. Pour vegetables and saute until tender. Finally add steam rice, soy sauce, salt and peppers.

Garnish with selery, serving hot with slices fresh tomato and fried egg (afgamatia)

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Too true. Wild blueberry bushes are nice, too.

message 6: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments There are two types of food I love: Cold weather foods and warm weather foods.

I, too, tend to keep meals more simple in summer, grilling a lot. With an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables available in the summer, cooking great meals is easy.

Though I don't make anything nearly as "main course" as Bunny's watermelon with olives (not sure if that even sounds good, honestly, but worth trying), I do serve melon as a side dish with the main course. ( I refuse to use the word "entree" for "main course", sorry; "entree" means the "entrance course" or "appetizer")

My faves: Corn, grilled in the husks until the husks are burned black. (The kernels will be lightly toasted around the edges)

Lots of fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes (with anything. I splash a little apple cider vinegar over them and a sprinkle of coarse salt with fresh-ground black pepper sometimes to make them more special, but usually just eat them "as-is".

Anything with fetta, olives, and fresh tomatoes (maybe even watermelon; we'll see)

Anything with a squeeze of lime on it.

BLT's--with really good whole grain bread, thick sliced tomatoes, crisp garden-fresh lettuce and, oh yeah, bacon. To make it more special, I grill thick-sliced, pepper bacon on the grill, make home-made mayonaise with sun-dried tomatoes in it, then add some fetta cheese. I don't go to that much trouble everytime I have a BLT, though.

Hi, I'm Will and new here. Oh, and I love to eat and to cook.

message 7: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 21 comments I've been making this summer salad for several years so I don't even remember where I got the recipe. but it's so easy.

1 medium jicama, diced small
2 green onions, diced
1 can of mandarins
Put all ingredients in a serving bowl. Mix about a 1/2 tsp. of chili powder with the mandarin juice and mix into the salad.