Q&A with Steven Pressfield discussion

History v. Novel

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard | 3 comments Dear Mr. Pressfield,

I believe that I have read all of your books with the exception of the latest (which I look forward to reading soon). Let me just say how thrilling the experience has been for me. Thank you for sharing your gift.

My question has to do with the creative process itself. If the Greeks were right to describe the experience of creativity as cooperation with the Muses, and I believe they were, it would seem to me that there must be one Muse for history and another for historical fiction (I suppose that there must also be another for movies...which would make it possible to admire and enjoy both the The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as Peter Jackson's movie, for example). Would you care to comment on your sources of inspiration as well as on how you go about the creative process? I am wondering, also, if you ever feel at times as if the story is writing itself through you instead of that you are writing the story? (I do not, of course, mean to underemphasize your role in the process.)

Any comments that you would care to make would be appreciated.

Very best regards,

Richard Arndt

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenpressfield) | 47 comments Mod
Good questions, Richard. If you want to know everything about my internal process for writing, pick up my book "The War of Art." It tells everything I know (almost.) As for the Muses, I'm a total believer. There were nine sisters, as you know, so there's more than enough of them to go around. And yes, sometimes a book or character starts asserting itself/himself/herself and take the story where it wants to go. I always let it. Those turn out often to be the best parts.