Graywolf Press discussion

Weekend Reads > Weekend Reads 9/17/10

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
Happy weekend! What are your #weekendreads?

I finally got my Kindle 3, so I'm spending time reading both on and off the paper page this weekend. I'm most excited about Melanie Rae Thon's In This Light, a breathtaking story collection Graywolf is publishing next spring. In the meantime, you can read Thon's previous (and highly acclaimed) works: Iona Moon, Girls in the Grass, and Sweet Hearts.

Am also trying to decide between two Whartons and am seeking opinions and recommendations: Should I start with The Age of Innocence or The House of Mirth?

Speaking of #weekendreads, for those of you on Twitter, I'm hosting book giveaways all weekend on @GWTweetUp, the official Twitter page for the inaugural Graywolf Press TweetUp happening this Monday in Minneapolis (though of course you don't have to be in Minneapolis to follow and participate).

message 2: by Casey (new)

Casey (case_face) | 2 comments Mod
Some graphic novels: The Unwritten Vols 1 and 2 by Mike Carey and Peter Gross (recommended by Mr. Benjamin Percy).
Some stuff for school (including, but not limited to): Persuasion and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
Something for me: Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto (also a recommendation by Mr. Percy).

I vote House of Mirth.

message 3: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Hagy | 4 comments I'm a M.R. thon fan, too, Marisa. Glad the new book is looking great. Mirth or Innocence? Tough call. I might also give Mirth the nod...barely.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Im reading Hater by David Moody and even though I only just started, I really like it!

Marisa, I finished The Wilding yesterday. Man is that book going to ruin the woods for me now!!!

message 5: by D.E. (last edited Sep 22, 2010 11:31AM) (new)

D.E. Sievers | 2 comments Still reading David Mitchell's new novel ("The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet"), his abilities are beyond belief. Slipped in a friend's novel too over the past week, "SHEgo" by Tania Zaverta Chance, and today I picked up "Room" by Emma Donoghue - very excited to read that one!

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill | 10 comments D.E., you're reading two of my favorites for the year. David Mitchell is a master! And I just finished ROOM, which was incredibly good...

message 7: by D.E. (new)

D.E. Sievers | 2 comments Jill wrote: "D.E., you're reading two of my favorites for the year. David Mitchell is a master! And I just finished ROOM, which was incredibly good..."

That's great to hear about "Room" - now I'm extra super eager! Thanks, Jill! Yes, I love Mitchell and have read all his books.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments I finished up Why We Need Love by Simon Van Booy, which was excellent. Going to keep on going with the series.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I agree, ROOM was an amazing novel.