South African Kindle owners discussion

South African Books on Kindle

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 10 comments Howzit,
Three of my books are now on Kindle. They are South African stories, so I thought you might be interested in having a look at them.
Something to Read on the Plane
A Bit of Light Literature, short stories and other fun stuff.
Something to Read on the Plane by Jan Hurst-Nicholson
For a look at some free chapters on BookBuzzr
http://soc.li/IChpzqY

But Can You Drink The Water?
A humorous novel about a scouse family emigrating from Liverpool to South Africa.(a semi-finalist in the 2010 ABNA contest)

But Can You Drink The Water? by Jan Hurst-Nicholson

The Breadwinners
An epic family saga based on the baking industry in South Africa

The Breadwinners by Jan Hurst-Nicholson

Hope you find something to suit your taste.
Cheers
Jan

message 2: by Fred (new)

Fred (stridervc) I'll definitely check them out.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 10 comments Thanks.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 10 comments An update.
I have reduced the price of Something to Read on the Plane from $2.99 to $0.99. It will now be $2.99 to everyone outside the US, instead of $4.99.
I felt the exchange rate was making it a bit expensive for SA Kindle owners.
Cheers
Jan

message 5: by Jan (last edited Jan 07, 2011 05:59AM) (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 10 comments I have added my YA novel. It is set in South Africa. It is also available on MXit.

When 17 yr old Jason Hunter sets out to discover the identity of the mystery girl at Ocean Drive he and his friends find themselves caught up in a risky intrigue.

Jason is delivering newspapers on his motorbike when a Mercedes sweeps out of a driveway in front of him. He loses control of his scrambler and almost ends up under the car’s wheels. An attractive teenage girl leaps out to ask if he is hurt, but before Jason can reply the girl is bundled back into the Mercedes and driven off.

Jason’s instincts warn him that the girl is in trouble.

The following day he sees her in an upstairs window, but when he asks to speak to her he is told that there is no young girl living there. Why?

Jason is not about to give up and he enlists the help of his friends, Mark and David. Together they make a daring attempt to learn the girl’s identity, but just as it seems to be working, things go horribly wrong...
Has Jason’s intriguing mystery now put all three boys in danger?

MYSTERY AT OCEAN DRIVE was a runner-up in the Citizen/Pan MacMillan 2010 YA novel award.

Mystery at Ocean Drive

Mystery at Ocean Drive by Jan Hurst-Nicholson

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My apartheid thriller, The Peace Garden is also on Kindle. Set partly in Newcastle upon Tyne and partly in South Africa. The Peace Garden

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 21, 2011 04:15AM) (new)

For some reason the book cover didn't display. Mmm, will try again. Aha, think I've figured it out.

The Peace Garden by Fiona Veitch Smith

'When Natalie Porter starts investigating plant theft in a suburban cul-de-sac, she never dreams it will lead her on a terrifying journey from the gardens of England to the townships of Apartheid South Africa; and a far darker secret than the whereabouts of a missing azalea.

A romantic thriller doused in political intrigue, racial tension, international terrorism and … gardening. If you like your romances quirky and your thrillers intelligent, then you won’t be able to put down The Peace Garden until the last page is turned.'

And all of that is marketing speak for: hope you enjoy it:)

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 10 comments I've now got new covers for two of my books.
The Breadwinners

Mystery at Ocean Drive
Mystery at Ocean Drive by Jan Hurst-Nicholson

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Like the Ocean Drive cover. Very appealing to a YA readership.

message 10: by A.K. (last edited Feb 27, 2012 03:44AM) (new)

A.K. Dawson (akdawson) | 2 comments Hi all,

Great idea for a thread. My Kindle novel MiG-23 Broke my Heart is set in South Africa and based on events during the Border War.

MiG-23 Broke my Heart a War Novel by AK Dawson

MiG-23 Broke my Heart: a War Novel

Here's the premise:

The year is 1988.

Eighteen-year-old Thomas Green, weed smoker and would-be artist, has been plucked from his comfortable, suburban existence in apartheid South Africa and thrown onto the frontline of his country’s war against what it sees as terrorism.

As a conscript in the South African Defence Force, it’s Thomas’s job to watch the hot, sandy border for signs of the mysterious ‘red menace’.

There are no bars nearby, no art galleries, no cinemas and no air-conditioned shopping malls. Worst of all, there are no lithe young ladies willing to pose nude for an eager painter-in-training. What Thomas has found in plentiful supply are sand dunes, barbwire fences and landmines. He may as well have landed in hell.

When a man approaches on foot from Angola, the place where the terrorists are said to come from, Thomas discovers that life can still get a whole lot worse.

MiG-23 Broke my Heart is a war novel, a tale of action and adventure, a fictional road trip and – deep in its dark heart – a certain kind of love story.

Please be advised that the novel contains violence, hard-biting humour and sensitive subject matter that some readers may find disturbing.

This is a full-length novel, which in paperback form would be about two hundred and fifty pages.

Here's a bit of review:

"Simply amazing. This book misled the hell out of me...The author is subtle enough to allow the story to flow while just under the surface of the tale tragedy, awareness, hopelessness and hope are surrounding you. Many social, ethical and political issues are tackled effortlessly in this story. Racism, brutality, loyalty, corruption, youth, love and naiveté. I was engrossed from page one and am entirely grateful for the experience." - novelopinion.org (5/5 stars)

And here's a link to Amazon.co.uk:

MiG-23 Broke my Heart

That's me, over and out
Andrew

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 10 comments Hi AK,
Good to see another SA Kindle novel.Welcome aboard.

I have another new cover for
The Breadwinners

The top half is an early pic of Bakers Ltd when it was Baumann's Bakery. I worked there for several years and Mr Baumann kindly allowed me to use the pic.

message 12: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Sandmann | 1 comments Good day all

I recently published my first novel on Kindle and would love some feedback from South African readers.
At the moment Kindle is the only place that it will be sold on.

The story is fiction and along the lines of Deon Meyer and Dan Brown. The story starts in Cape Town and takes a very interesting look at how far corruption can go if given a chance.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Power-eboo...

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 10 comments Hi Bruce,
Welcome to the thread. Hope you get lots of readers.

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 10 comments Those of you familair with James Clarke's column in the Star and Indepenednt might like to know that Blazing Bicycle Saddles is now available as a Kindle.
This is the blurb:
This is a true story; a true adventure involving six colleagues - mostly retired - who, on a sudden whim, decide to embark on a 1 000 kilometre cycle ride down the River Danube believing it would be downhill all the way. None had cycled since childhood nor even owned a bike.
Their hilarious journey was so enjoyable that it led to a series of annual rides in Europe involving ten countries including England. Their story - reminiscent of Jerome K Jerome's Three Men in a Boat - is told by their not terribly good leader.
Four of the six were daily newspaper editors; the author is a syndicated humour columnist and the sixth man claims he only goes along with them out of curiosity. All live in Africa and their mission is "to explore Darkest Europe and bring back to Africa stories about the strange natives there and their funny customs."

message 15: by A.K. (last edited Feb 01, 2013 03:56AM) (new)

A.K. Dawson (akdawson) | 2 comments Into Pieces (Part One and Two) by AK Dawson

Hi everyone, I've just put a thriller set in London and South Africa on Amazon for Kindle. I write all sorts of things, but this has been my most 'South African' novel of recent years. In an earlier form and with a different title, it also won a Northern Promise Award at the UK Northern Writers Awards' in 2010.

How far would you go for revenge?

Claudia came to London to escape the dangers of South Africa, but a phone call in the middle of the night changes everything. Her sister has been murdered by car hijackers. Devastated, she returns to her home city of Durban looking for answers. When she finds out that the police can’t help her, she decides to look for revenge instead. And the only way she can catch the hijackers is if she uses herself as bait.

Into Pieces is a psychological thriller in two parts. This edition contains both parts, but you can also download them separately.

Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Pieces-P...

Amazon US:

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Pieces-Par...

Thanks,
Andrew