Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Steamy and Sweet? Recommendations, please!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☽ Rhiannon ✭ (last edited Sep 17, 2010 10:59PM) (new)

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments I'm a recent convert to PNR; I have always been a huge fan of urban fantasy and the like, the romance element only recently having captured my attention. I read all of Karen Chance and realized I really enjoyed the relationships and sexiness, then moved on to Jeaniene Frost, which I love. I've burned through most of Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series in the past couple weeks, and now I'm looking for more!

So basically, while I definitely love the sex, I am not terribly interested in straight-up erotica - I like build-up and character development too much for non-sequiterish sex scenes. My favorite formula is the tough, independent chick and dark, brooding guy who quarrel and argue and then FINALLY get it on.

So, anyone got some suggestions for me? :)

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophie714) | 126 comments I would have to recommend the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton. She also has another series ("Meradith Gentry") which is also very good, but not as widely read..

Am also currently reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood myself by J.R. Ward - on the 2nd one of the series at the moment. Loving it! Really recommend it...

You could also check out Nalini Singh's series... she also incorporates a bit of raunch in her novels... As well as Stacia Kane's "Downside" series. I loved that! :)

Hope that helps :) will be following this convo to try and get some new suggestions also!! :)

message 3: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 453 comments Hmmm. Most of the books you mentioned liking are UF so I'd recommend:

Karen Marie Moning's Fever series
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

&

Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab series
Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) by Karen Chance

I also second reading Nalini Singh's series & Stacia Kane's Downside series.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I second the Fever series, but then again, you'll probably get thirds and fourths for the Fever series. The heroine is kick butt in that series (well, after book 1...she's spoiled and shallow at first and has to grow a pair after a personal blow).

This one I read right after starting Night Huntress (which you mentioned liking) and I liked it almost as much.

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill

This one has a kick butt heroine and a hot (but still a UF level of steamy, not erotica) love triangle.

Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Rogue (Shifters, #2) by Rachel Vincent Pride (Shifters, #3) by Rachel Vincent Prey (Shifters, #4) by Rachel Vincent Shift (Shifters, #5) by Rachel Vincent Alpha (Shifters, #6) by Rachel Vincent

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments I recommend the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole

The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley Cole A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) by Kresley Cole Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5) by Kresley Cole Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) by Kresley Cole Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #5) by Kresley Cole Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #9) by Kresley Cole Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole

This is such a great series, the heroines are tough and crazy and heroes sexy and tortured and BIG! LOL

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
PnR--if you DO decide to read the Anita Blake books--don't get past the first 6. I'm putting this caveate in for you, since you said you weren't really interested in erotica, which is what they turn into after book 6. And the Merry Gentry books start out as erotica and stay that way.

Another warning--while I love, love, LOVE Karen Marie Monig's Fever series, the last book isn't due out til Jan. 18--and every single one of the books ends in a cliff hanger. So, if you don't want to join the rest of us in staring at your calendar, wait a bit before you start to read those.

Now, on to recommendations. :o)

I agree with the recommendations for the Immortals After Dark series and the Chicagoland Vamps series.

Since this post hasn't been up a long time, I'll add the Sookie Stackhouse series Dead Until Dark and also Grave Sight both series by Charlaine Harris.

Then there is the On Edge series On the Edge by Ilona Andrews--altho I'm thinking that's a bit more UF than PNR.

And who can forget Soulless by Gail Carriger? Its actually Steampunk PNR, but still quite good.

Did you read the Argeneau Vamps books yet? Much lighter-hearted series with lots of humour. Lynsay Sands does write a good funny book.

If you want shifters, then there is Susan Sizemore's series. Read the Magnus Pack first, then go to the Pride books. There are 3 books in the Magnus set, and I believe we are at 5 for the Pride books. These series have were-wolves, lions, bears, wild dogs, tigers, cheetahs. . .

Dakota Cassidy is yet another light-hearted writer. Love her series.

um, ok, this post is getting a little long. :oP But hey, you'll soon get as caught up in these series as the rest of us. mwhahahahaha

message 7: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (disney4me) | 23 comments I would recommend:

1) The Magic series (Kate & Curran) - Illona Andrews; get story with tension between character building into a lasting (hopefully) relationship. Only 4 books out, with others to come.
2) The Dante Valentine series - Lilith Saintcrow; again tension without a lot of sex and get story line. Only 5 books in this series.
3) The Raine Benares series - Lisa Shearin; great story with the building of relationships. 4 books in the series with more to come.

The are the books I highly recommend. I know there are others, but can't think of them off the top of my head.

Hope you enjoy!

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Pnr, Ilona Andrews and Chloe Neill write some of the best series with those elements. I highly recommend Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1, Ilona Andrews) and Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1, Chloe Neill).

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments Thanks for the recommendations, everyone, I've got quite the to-read list! I hope my library has them! I look forward to reading through all these books. I just can't seem to get enough of that sexual tension (with the itch, of course, being scratched in the end) ;)

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (lush26) | 18 comments I need a new book series please help!!

Twitter - lush26
lushbookreviews.wordpress.com

message 11: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Anzalone (soozee) Wow! You all have covered just about everything (and lots more I didn't know about!) I could have thought to reply. I am going to bookmark this thread so I can read it once I get through the twenty or so books I already have out from the library....
You all rock!

message 12: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments Thanks for the great rec's. I'm definitely add Karen Chance on my to read list.

message 13: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments I'm just reading the Highlander Series now, and it's very much like the way you requested.
Girl meets brroding guy. Things get very hot, and it has HEA. It builds up to the Fever Series (although I read it before Highlander), and it'll give enough time to read them all before the last Fever book comes out in January.

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare | 42 comments I also suggest Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Series. I just joined the legion of fans rooting for Cat and Bones. I will be starting on the 3rd book in the series. This is one series you must read in order, or you will be lost.

message 15: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments Thanks Rafaela. I'm finishing the Mockingjay then I have the Highlanders waiting for me to devour them.

I love the Night Huntress series too. It's one of my top 5. I just fell in LOVE with Guild Hunter, a must read if you're still looking for a good series. Only 2 books out and I'm already itchy to re-read it again.

message 16: by ☽ Rhiannon ✭ (new)

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments Just checking in: I've now read almost all of Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series (jackpot!!) and Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld. Also burned through the Black Dagger Brotherhood. They were all exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm overwhelmed with recommendations and my to-read list is over 150 books! Not sure wear to wade in from here but again, thanks to everyone for the input!!

message 17: by Shannon (last edited Oct 10, 2010 05:22PM) (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments I also love Jeaniene Frost, Karen Chance & Sherilyn Kenyon's books. Here are my other PNR/Fantasy romance/UF favs. Some of these have been mentioned before, and I'm just including them again as an extra vote!

PNR/Fantasy Romance Favs:

Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole
Tairen Soul series by CL Wilson
Guild Hunters series and Psy-Changelings series by Nalini Singh
Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward
Demonica books by Larissa Ione
Little Goddess series by Amy Lane (if the print books are too pricey I found these as ebooks for only $6 at iuniverse.com)
Pride Stories and Magnus Pack by Shelly Laurenston
Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian
Dragon Kin series by G.A. Aiken
Guardians of Eternity series by Alexandra Ivy
Now You See Her, Dream Man & Death Angel by Linda Howard

UF Favs (that also have some romance in the storyline):

Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews
Sookie Sackhouse by Charlaine Harris
Chicagoland Vampires series by Chloe Neill
Dorina Basarab Dhampir series by Karen Chance (Don't miss the anthology in On the Prowl, which should be read between Midnight's Daughter and Death's Mistress) - I figure you've read Cassie, but not sure if you came across Dory yet? I love Dory!
World of Lupi series by Eileen Wilks
Jane True by Nicole Peeler
Fever series by Karen Moning
Circle series by Linda Robertson

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) All these brooding heroes :D
I'm wondering though, any loose books (as in not a series) you gals would recommend following this trope?

message 19: by ☽ Rhiannon ✭ (new)

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments Shannon, yes! I love Dory! Her and LC, mmm, hot! Thanks for the recommendations, I started the Midnight Breed series today and have already placed the rest of them on hold at the library!

Speaking of, since I'm pretty strapped for cash and am forced to rely on my library's incomplete and lacking collection, can anyone tell me if it is ok to read Christine Feehan's Carpathians series wildly out of order? They only carry about half of them and some are more available than others...

message 20: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (toastqueen) Pnr wrote: "Shannon, yes! I love Dory! Her and LC, mmm, hot! Thanks for the recommendations, I started the Midnight Breed series today and have already placed the rest of them on hold at the library!

Speaking..."

You can read the Carpathians out of order, I, unfortunately, started with book #17! It would make more sense if you read it in order, in my opinion.

Jen  ~The dreamer~ | 649 comments Immortals After Dark - Krelsey Cole is a MUST
Dark Swan series by Richelle Mead also fantastic

message 22: by ☽ Rhiannon ✭ (new)

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments Anyone else have recommendations of series that are more or less stand-alone books? What about Lora Leigh's Breed series? Any good/can be read out of order? I tell ya, I'd gladly pay more taxes if it meant my libraries could be fully stocked. Or maybe I'll just sit in Barnes and Noble reading until they kick me out! ;)

Jen  ~The dreamer~ | 649 comments I just started Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian last night. Seems pretty interesting, I hear the series gets better as it goes...

message 24: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (theresamcole) Jen wrote: "I just started Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian last night. Seems pretty interesting, I hear the series gets better as it goes..."

That's actually the last book I finished. I fell head over heels with Lucan and I'm scared to start the second book because he's not in it! LOL Hope you like it as much as I did :)

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (shinhbang) | 152 comments Suzanne ~Satin Seductress~ wrote: "I recommend the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole

The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley ColeA Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley ColeNo Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole[bookcove..."

Oh yeah, totally! I recommend that too!

message 26: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 34 comments Meljean Brook is an author I keep recommending. You need not necessarily start with the first book Demon Angel (The Guardians, #1) by Meljean Brook
but if you start with Demon Night (The Guardians, #3) by Meljean Brook
you will easily find your way into this world.
I love this series.

message 27: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn As you liked Sherrilyn Kenyon, The Blackdagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward is a great series to read after her. They are steamy hot, with kick-ass men and women!

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward

message 28: by BookLoverrr (new)

BookLoverrr | 17 comments ☽ Rhiannon ✭ wrote: "I'm a recent convert to PNR; I have always been a huge fan of urban fantasy and the like, the romance element only recently having captured my attention. I read all of Karen Chance and realized I r..."

Frost Moons and Golden Apples by Michelle Chambers :)

Frost Moons and Golden Apples (#1) by Michelle Chambers Frost Moons and Golden Apples (#2) by Michelle Chambers Frost Moons and Golden Apples Book Three by Michelle Chambers

Norse mythology, vampires, werewolves, magic and romance!