Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Changing your hair color, both genders...yay or nay?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ladies, do you change your hair color ever? I ask in part because I know of at least two women who have made their hair darker in the last couple weeks. Both look pretty good. Also, I find the "make your hair less gray" commercials aimed at men maddeningly stupid. Like, a guy with grey hair makes it slimy and darker and suddenly some slutty blonde in a hotel bar attaches herself to his arm. Bleh. Also, guys couldn't just go from, say, blonde to black hair the way women can. But maybe there's less pressure for guys about hair color or whatever, but women have cooler options.

What do you think?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Depends on your definition of change your hair colour. I've had foils put in (is that an Australian term?), burgundy once, lighter a couple of times but never a full colour change. I don't fuse with those anymore.

Vitorian (Australian state) males go blond all the time. But they are a little odd down there.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments My step-sister and my niece have both gone platinum blond, and it looks unnatural and spooky on both because neither has the complexion to carry off that color.

I don't think it matters at all what color your hair is, but please don't make it so far out of whack that you look like a circus clown. Older ladies shouldn't go with the bright red look (but maybe they could pull off a pastel blue?).

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Not electric blue? If you are going to get old you should at least let loose. :)

message 5: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I have had my hair just about every color through the years including the platinum and cherry Cindy Lauper do in the 80's. Now I do foils as well. Since I am out in the sun all day, I have a lot of natural highlights already. Also from pixie short to Farrah Fawcett layers. Changing my hair gives me a lift and is easy and fun most of the time. As far as men go, I love salt and pepper on a guy who has hair! A man I work with dyes his hair every two weeks and it is just flat out creepy.

message 6: by Heidi (last edited Sep 17, 2010 07:10AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I love my gray streak. I typically avoid hair color if at all possible, but a couple of weeks ago when I got my hair cut, I got a few low lights - just two shades lighter than my brown. I did specifically request that they NOT color the gray streak. :)

I tend to be a fan of natural color - both hair and skin.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments when i was growing my mohawk out last fall my plan was to try to dye it totally white. no one could tell me how to do that and not make it yellow. that was my only thought of dying my hair ever

except for that time my gf used mascara on my moustache when i was a freshman in high school to see how it would look dark. like groucho marx

message 8: by Meels (last edited Sep 17, 2010 07:48AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Well, I dye my hair all the time, but usually the dark brown it already is. I started going gray in my early 20's (my mom started in her teens), I'd say that if I stripped the color now it would be about 1/2 gray. I'm 39.

When I was in my 20's I used to dye it all sorts of colors. I think the only natural color I've never been is a blond (which my mom switched to when she had more white than black and figured the roots would show less if she went blond), I've had some pinks, purples and Burgundy in there as well.

I dig guys with gray, but on me it makes me feel old. I don't think I would like it if Honey died his hair/beard. No.

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments I was a bit shocked the other day when my girlfriend told me that ALL the men at her temple (except her nearly bald husband) use hair color. One guy who is very Irish looking (their cantor, a convert) colors his hair and his beard red. Now that I think about it, some of those guys who are in their 60s have very dark, uniformly colored hair.

I use color myself, because I'm not comfortable with so much gray. But like Barb, the roots are driving me nuts. I think I'm going to try going natural pretty soon. Maybe some brown foils if I look too washed out.

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments I know some women who are mostly gray get a rinse to make it more shiny and sparkly/silvery. Less dull.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my soul patch is white.

message 12: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I dye my hair once in a while but I don't ever worry about the roots because whatever color I put in my hair fades and goes back to my natural color (and I'm using permanent dye). Not even black will stay in my hair, it's actually kind of annoying. The only time it did stick was when I tried going blonde...and I must say it was not a good look for me.

message 13: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Also, I find the "make your hair less gray" commercials aimed at men maddeningly stupid. Like, a guy with grey hair makes it slimy and darker and suddenly some slutty blonde in a hotel bar attaches herself to his arm. Bleh. "

Hot damn RA, where are you when my wife keeps bringing this up? I just laugh. I'm nearly totally grey. As if I'm going to show up for work some morning several shades darker.

I've been at war with my hair for 30 years. My hair won. In 1986.

message 14: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I think gray hair is sexy on most guys. My husband was already salt and pepper when we got married (he was only 21) and I wouldn't want him to dye it even now that he's mostly gray....SOOO SEXY! :D

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I agree with Alecia, Gray on men is distinguished. On me it feels old.

message 16: by R.C. (new)

R.C. (rc_kinkaid) | 56 comments I attempted to die my hair blonde in High School, as it was the craze of the times. It ended up a blondish-orange, not unlike the hair of a camel.

I think us men are better off just shaving their heads until science develops a way to alter out genetics. Then, not only will be get all our hair back, but we can also change it on a whim utilizing gene therapy.

message 17: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I once bleached my hair three times in one week trying to achieve blond. I got bozo the clown orange (see profile pic). It was about three weeks before my roommates wedding and she was all in a dither that I was going to ruin her wedding photos. I waited until the night before to dye it back. Heh.

message 18: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) No, I was supposed to be a dead person in the typical chalk outline pose.

message 19: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments BunWat wrote: "I've got some grey but so far I kind of like how it looks, its sorta highlighty. My gran had the most spectacularly beautiful steel gray hair in her late sixties, I'm hoping its genetic and I got the genes.
"

Spend a weekend with my kids. It'll happen overnight.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments Clark wrote: "BunWat wrote: "I've got some grey but so far I kind of like how it looks, its sorta highlighty. My gran had the most spectacularly beautiful steel gray hair in her late sixties, I'm hoping its gen..."

I hear you Clark. I got much more gray over the summer--21-year-old coming in the door at 2 a.m. and 18-year-old out with god knows what kinds of boys and girls. She did not drive, but I wasn't always familiar with the kids who were driving her around. It was the summer of talking to both girls via text message. My fingers still hurt.

message 21: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Clark, I'll swap kids with you. I'll take the gray hair if you'll take the agonizing case of bleeding ulcers!

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Hey Alecia, I think I see Bun over there behind the ficus!

message 23: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 17, 2010 01:13PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I died my hair a lot in high school, going so far to try just about every color out there (I made a terrible blonde).

My natural color is darkish brown and I am fine with it at this age. Every once in a while, I'll do one of those temporary dyes (the ones that only last about a month so you don't get roots) and put a little red in, or I'll go a shade or two darker in my hair to make it look closer to black. I only use temporary dyes now because the hassle of having to keep up with roots isn't worth it to me.

Maybe when I'm gray I'll feel differently.

As for men and hair color, it really depends on the man. Most men look terrible with a one shade hair color put in, but some don't look bad with highlights or even a little bit of dark tinting to cover some gray.

If you're 60 years old though and throw in a bottle of dark brown, you're fooling no one with that one color hair. It just looks bad.

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Cynthia wrote: "I hear you Clark. I got much more gray over the summer--21-year-old coming in the door at 2 a.m. and 18-year-old out with god knows what kinds of boys and girls. She did not drive, but I wasn't always familiar with the kids who were driving her around. It was the summer of talking to both girls via text message. My fingers still hurt. "

I sympathize Cynthia, I had one last year that came and went till all hours of the morning. I actually got to the point last summer that I sat her down and said when I call you answer the phone because it really pisses me off when you answer my text right away that I send right after you don't answer my call. If this continues to happen you may have a phone, but it will not be on our plan. This year she has a boy friend, and it really helped to keep her toned down, and in touch a lot better.

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments My girls know their ass is grass if they don't text me right back or answer their phone when they are out. Emma tried that ONCE, claiming she didn't have her phone charged. Do it again, I told her and no more phone.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments When she was in HS I had her phone in my possession on a couple of occasions, it was the absolute worst punishment for her. But it was hard to be too rough on her because she is so like me, she just needed time to grow and grow up. But that didn't make it any less frustrating.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments My best friend dyed my bangs burgundy for me once in college, but other than that, I've never done any hair color. I'm lucky, no gray yet.

I would never want to be blonde, but if I ever did anything, I think some auburn highlights might be fun.

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
Hair color for men seems like an idea trapped in the 70s. I don't know any men who color their hair.

Women, OTOH, 99% of the women I know color their hair.

The thing that bugs me is women who go with a color or shade that looks completely unnatural, clashes with their skintone or eyebrows. Really dark Mediterranean women who go light blond, for example.

Some women - maybe women who have to be on camera a lot, I'm thinking of Andrea Mitchell - Andrea was a natural brunette who went blond. They do it because they don't want to be a brunette with gray hair, and being an elderly brunette with dyed brown hair isn't a good look for most women. Being a blond elderly woman looks more natural because it's closer in tone to gray or white.

message 29: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I'm thinking about dying my hair gray. It might look more distinguished.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

It might, although you'll need to make sure not to sit like this.

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Sep 17, 2010 03:53PM) (new)

Dang, there went my image.

Sigh....image:
http://blog.newsok.com/television/200...

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Not a look that would work for me, I'm pretty sure.

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Only his hairdresser knows for sure.

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

BunWat wrote: "How do you know you don't know any men who dye their hair? If they've got a decent colorist you wouldn't be able to tell. So what you know is, you don't know any men who admit to it."

I suppose I don't really know with most of them, but 2/3 of them have begun to go gray, which suggests to me they're not doing any coloring. Also I don't know all that many metrosexuals (I have known them, but they seem to have passed out of my life) or fussy-haired types.

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hyatt-James (sandyhyatt-james) I used to dye my hair, but now I just can't be arsed with all the root touch-ups any longer. As for men, well, I feel the same way about that as they do about plastic boobs: real is best.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have now and again dyed my hair bright red or orange Manic Panic style - but without bleaching, so it just enhances the red that's already in my hair.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The Panda look is very 2009, Gabby.