White Nights discussion

Love and Death

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Joe | 12 comments Mod
If anyone's seen Wooddy Allen's "Love and Death"; comments please.
It's at the top of my netflix queue now; It will be great to see Allen's take on russian lit.

message 2: by Adam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Adam | 4 comments It has been a couple years, but this is probably my favorite of his films. I think I will put it on my queue as well. I found it easier to watch this film than many of his others because the setting is so ridiculous that there is little expectation of reality. In fact when the characters do touch on reality it comes off as great wit - and to me there is nothing better.

message 3: by michael spencer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

michael spencer (michael_harmon) | 4 comments Agreed.

message 4: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 1 comments I think that Love and Death offers up some of Woody's funniest quasi-philosophical meanderings. Have any of you read any of his books?

message 5: by Nickymosk (new)

Nickymosk | 1 comments Yeah, his books are hilarious! He really is influenced by the Russian greats, but takes it to an absurd level rather than serious and contemplative one. Love and Death is one of my favorite movies by him. I love all the puns with the book titles. I can't rave enough about it!

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom | 51 comments Oh yeah, I remember watching this when I was in the Army, stationed overseas in the 70s. We grunts all got a kick out of Woody's line near the end, "I got screwed."