Nobel Prize Winners discussion

2001-2010 > 2003 J.M. Coetzee

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Sprunger (petes) | 6 comments I'm trying to figure out which Coetzee book I read but none of them stand out from the rest. Any recommendations?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Peter wrote: "I'm trying to figure out which Coetzee book I read but none of them stand out from the rest. Any recommendations?"

The Life and Times of Michael K is the one I would start with.

message 3: by Cl. (new)

Cl. | 44 comments I read In the Heart of the Country
first, and found it quite difficult. It focuses on the mind of the daughter which is quite disturbed. I found it hard to tell sometimes, between what she had fantasized and what had actually happened.

I would say the book gives a sense of the dusty isolation of the veld; and certainly, the race/class structure.

The second Coetzee book I read was about his childhood. Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life
I found this an easier, more interesting read.

I became aware that in addition to the black/white discrimination in South Africa, there is also a British/Boer discrimination--with British being "better".

And Coetzee, with a parent from each of the white "camps" as it were, was truly a person pulled in many directions, with awareness of all the subtle and less subtle degrees of discrimination.