You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > What have you just bought? (CLOSED)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,044 (1044 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

message 1: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments So I have bought a couple of brand new books for the first time in ages. Actually I haven't bought any books recently, apart from a couple for 20p at a car boot sale. So today I thought I'd treat myself to a couple I have been wanting for ages. The Help and One Day. The Help was read by this group a while ago but I couldn't join in. Everyone said such great things that I've been meaning to read it for ages. Has any one read One Day? A friend recommended it to me.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen | 42 comments I haven't read The Help yet, but just bought it. Also a Vince Flynn book, Transfer of Power. I'm counting on both of them to be good entertainment.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 453 comments Jenny wrote: "So I have bought a couple of brand new books for the first time in ages. Actually I haven't bought any books recently, apart from a couple for 20p at a car boot sale. So today I thought I'd treat m..."

I bought The Help on audiobook but haven't started it yet. (And missed the group read but agree that everyone seemed to say good things about it)

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna | 79 comments I bought In the Shadow of Gotham and Wife of the Gods: A Novel for my in person book group and to get free shipping for my order I bought A Nail Through the Heart, Tumbleweed and All She Was Worth, Not too bad 5 books for $26.

message 5: by Beeeeee (new)

Beeeeee I've recently moved (started University) and the local charity shops here are amazing! I've bought The Road, Cutting For Stone, The Handmaids Tale, Dr Zhivago and On Beauty recently. I don't know how many students can say they actually have to budget themselves when buying books haha!

message 6: by Krystine (new)

Krystine | 3 comments I just bought Charming Billy, The Saving Graces and City of Bones.
Im looking forward to reading those 3 books.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica i just bought firelight

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 3 comments Creamoflife wrote: "I just bought To Kill a Mockingbird. Interpretationshilfe. and Scar Night"

If you haven't read "To Kill A Mockingbird" before, you are in for a good read. It covers so many themes that are still relevant to people today. I will treasure my copy forever!!

message 10: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 3 comments I've just bought Room by Emma Donoghue, and Scout, Atticus, and Boo: A Celebration of Fifty Years of To Kill a Mockingbird. Both of them are very good so far!

message 11: by Aryana (new)

Aryana | 6 comments I just bought El violin del Diablo / The Devil's Violinit seems really cool since i love violins and crime stories, but haven't started yet

message 12: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 43 comments I just bought 3 new books:
The beach hut by veronica henry
I heart Paris by Linsey kelk
Pictures of lilly by paige toon
I hope there good:)

message 13: by Laurentiu (last edited Jan 02, 2011 11:29AM) (new)

Laurentiu Lazar (laur1989) | 4 comments I just bought 5 books which I plan to read in the next 2 months.

Collins Classics - Wuthering Heights

The Trial
Ulysses
The Grapes of Wrath

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Becky, I so want to read the Imperfectionists. I have had trouble getting it from Book Depository. The delivery date kept being moved forward until I got disgusted and cancelled it. Now I am sorry I cancelled it. Typical!!! Please let me know what you think of this one. It sounds so intriguing and there was a great NYT review!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalie wrote: "Creamoflife wrote: "I just bought To Kill a Mockingbird. Interpretationshilfe. and Scar Night"

If you haven't read "To Kill A Mockingbird" before, you are in for a good..."

What took u so long to read Mockingbird? U'll love it!!!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments Haven't "bought" anything in the traditional sense, but I have the following books in my library queue on my Nook:

A Walk to Remember
The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

And this one is an actual book that I bought a while back that I will get to once my library queue is clear:
When Rabbit Howls

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 4 comments I just picked up Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter this weekend.

message 19: by Charli (new)

Charli (Chazbee938) | 8 comments I just got a copy if 'Mystic River' by Dennis Lehane. I know i'm about 5 years too late, but i've just finished reading 'Shutter Island' and I loved it!

message 20: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) I have recently picked up

In the Woods - Tana French
Gods in Alabama - Joshilyn Jackson
Outlander #1 - Diana Gabaldon
The Lying Game - Sara Shepard
Matched - Allie Condie

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan nice haul Kristina!! Happy Reading!!

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma | 34 comments I just bought The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson. It was my best thrift store find in a while :)

message 23: by Valerie (last edited Jan 23, 2011 10:39AM) (new)

Valerie | 95 comments Spent the day at the movies, and afterward I treated myself to some nice hot Starbucks & some new reads at Barnes & Noble... Was a great day!! :) I picked up:

Garden Spells
Keys to the Castle
The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy

And a couple of weeks ago, I bought:

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
Italian for Beginners

message 24: by Kenedy (new)

Kenedy (kenedy_jane) | 2 comments Valerie wrote: "Spent the day at the movies, and afterward I treated myself to some nice hot Starbucks & some new reads at Barnes & Noble... Was a great day!! :) I picked up:

Garden Spells
[bo..."

Garden Spells is a great read! Hope you enjoy it!

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 95 comments I have heard so much about it!! It sounds like a sweet story, and the author has several other items out that sound just as good. Not sure when I'll get to read it since I have SO much on my TBR list, but I'll get to it eventually. I have to get through my stack of library books first ;)

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy (celesi) Leaving out my manga, I bought these yesterday: The Calligrapher's Daughter, Possible Side Effects, & Numb.

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Lisa wrote: "Haven't "bought" anything in the traditional sense, but I have the following books in my library queue on my Nook:

A Walk to Remember
[book:The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Th..."

When Rabbit Howls is a very difficult read. Excellent book but very difficult. I loved A Walk in The Woods.

message 29: by Tory (last edited Jan 19, 2011 05:14PM) (new)

Tory (nghtstlkr64) | 48 comments I just got Getting Personal, The House on Tradd Street, The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man, and A Reliable Wife from the library's used book shelf. There were several others that will probably follow me home on my next trip.

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori (seriousreader) | 2 comments I like to buy books at the second hand stores. I recently bought Chin Up, Honeyby Curtiss Ann Matlock, Resistance, by Anita Shreve, A Northern Lightby Jennifer Donnelly and Dead Lie Downby Sophie Hannah and Riding Lessonsby Sara Gruen. I have plenty of reading material for a few months!

message 31: by Elizabeth Rose (new)

Elizabeth Rose Wagner | 2 comments i just read inkheart its really good

message 32: by Elizabeth Rose (new)

Elizabeth Rose Wagner | 2 comments you should read it

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy Corwin (amycorwin) | 1 comments I just started Blind Justice--I can't say how much I love this historical mystery. It's superb!

message 34: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 85 comments Jenny wrote: "So I have bought a couple of brand new books for the first time in ages. Actually I haven't bought any books recently, apart from a couple for 20p at a car boot sale. So today I thought I'd treat m..."

I've read and lent out The Help,so its' lost. Excellent,and when the tome comes I won't resent buying a new copy.

message 35: by Betsy (last edited Jan 24, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 85 comments I took advantage of the Walden's in Martinsburgh closinG. Everything was 50% off. I wish I had had more to spend. But I bought 5 books for 30 dollars. Saving CeeCee Honneycot, Distant Hours,The White Queen,Mephisto Club. Others I passed by were 2 by Oliver Sacks,Freedom by Freenez (sp)

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) Buy most of my fiction books for Kindle now, but had a delightful reminding of a good brwose round a book shop last Wednesday. Treated myself to 3...yes 3 ...history books...oh the bliss!

message 37: by Ericka (new)

Ericka (ericka_cherry) | 4 comments I just picked upRunI've read Bel Cantoby her and thought it was wonderful. Hopefully Run will be equally as intriguing (=

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Ericka wrote: "I just picked upRunI've read Bel Cantoby her and thought it was wonderful. Hopefully Run will be equally as intriguing (="

I loved Truth & Beauty also by the same author.

message 39: by Savitri (new)

Savitri (scwilder) | 2 comments I got a Kindle for Christmas and having been spending Christmas money at the Kindle bookstore... usually it's the 2nd hand or library :) My latest purchase was Infidel and Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom. I still have loads of classics I want to read or re-read! I gave myself a $20/mo allowance at the Kindle store so will be looking at what's suggested here!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Ash by Malinda Lo Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkeles The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen
and preordered City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare

message 41: by Cece (new)

Cece (cwrob5) i just bought Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)  by Lisa Gardner

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I just bought Revolution, Valiant and Ironside,Prophecy of the Sisters, and The Devouring. they're all really great books and I'm glad I got them... I want to pre order Angel, and Midnight- l CAN'T WAIT for them to come out!!!

message 43: by Chrissie (last edited Jan 28, 2011 11:50PM) (new)

Chrissie YAY, The Hare with Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance just came in the door! Fibnally the paperback has come!

message 44: by Rosie (new)

Rosie | 4 comments Audible had a big sale on first books in a series......got carried away and bought 5.....The Sleeping Doll - Jeffrey Deaver; Neon Rain - James Lee Burke; Vision in White - Nora Roberts; The Black Echo - Michael Connelly; Naked in Death - JD Robb.....I spend a lot of time commuting by train so when Audible has a sale, I'm all over it.

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky (divadog) Love Audible...

message 47: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 95 comments So.... I just discovered that I had a coupon that came in the mail from B&N, and it expires today... Not wanting to lose the opportunity for a discount, I went online & ordered a few things, all by Stephanie Barron

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor
Jane and the Man of the Cloth
Jane and the Wandering Eye

These are all part of a series, and are part of the "Being a Jane Austen Mystery Reading Challenge 2011" featured on the blog at Austenprose.com . Never read this series before, but I've heard a lot of good things about it

message 48: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 95 comments Got a B&N gift card in the mail a couple of days ago and went to the website & ordered:

Romancing Miss Brontë - I've actually already read this, but I really LOVED it
The Winter Sea

Then was in the store today and bought 3 more that I had on my list:

Mr. Darcy's Secret
The Rossetti Letter
Searching for Pemberley

message 49: by Jan (last edited Apr 05, 2011 01:44PM) (new)

Jan | 5 comments It's not really what I just bought, but oh well. I actually went to the bookstore last about a month back and this is what I bought...
Fire by Kristin Cashore

I got it on a B&N giftcard and I'm leaving the remainder of the gift card to buy books for my summer reading. Mostly, I use the library.

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy (mommy_of_angels) | 11 comments I just bought The Tudors It's Good to Be King by Michael Hirst The Tudors The King, the Queen, and the Mistress (Tudors, the) by Michael Hirst The Tudors King Takes Queen (The Tudors) by Michael Hirst The Tudors by Elizabeth Massie The Raising by Laura Kasischke A Treasury of Royal Scandals The Shocking True Stories History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors by Michael Farquhar How Fat Was Henry VIII? And 101 Other Questions on Royal History by Raymond Lamont-Brown

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 20 21
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.