Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Reading Classic Horror > Wordsworth's Tales of Mystery and the Supernatural

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:16AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
These volumes are well worth collecting to a Classic Horror fan. And they are affordable:

The Drug and Other Stories (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Aleister Crowley The House by the Churchyard (Wordsworth Tales of Mystery and the Supernatural) by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu Not Exactly Ghosts (Wordsworth Tales of Mystery and the Supernatural) by Andrew Caldecott All Saints Eve (Mystery & Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Amelia B. Edwards Gothic Short Stories (Wordsworth Classics) (Wordsworth Classics) by David Blair Madam Crowl's Ghost and Other Stories (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu Terror by Night Classic Ghost & Horror Stories (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Ambrose Bierce Tales of Mystery & Macabre (Mystery & Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Elizabeth Gaskell A Night on the Moor and Other Tales of Dread (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural) (Mystery & Supernatural) by Robert Murray Gilchrist Haunter of the Ring And Other Tales (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Robert E. Howard Strange Tales (Mystery & Supernatural) by Rudyard Kipling Tales of Mystery & Imagination (Mystery & Supernatural) by Edgar Allan Poe Tales of Unease (Wordsworth Mystery & the Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Black Veil and other tales of Supernatural Sleuths. (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Mark Valentine Return from the Dead Classic Mummy Stories (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural) Classic Mummy Stories (Wordsworth Classics) by David Stuart Davies The Witch of Prague (Mystery & Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Francis Marion Crawford Australian Ghost Stories (Mystery & Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Various The Casefiles of Mr. J.G. Reeder (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Edgar Wallace Wagner the Werewolf (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by George William MacArthur Reynolds Phantom of the Opera (Mystery & Supernatural) by Gaston Leroux The Bell in the Fog and Other Stories (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Gertrude Atherton The Whisperer in Darkness by H.P. Lovecraft Werewolf Pack (Tales Of Mystery & The Supernatural) by Mark Valentine Night Shivers (Mystery & Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by J H Riddell The Woman in White (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Wilkie Collins The Gambler & The House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoevsky Dracula & Dracula's Guest (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural) by Bram Stoker

Keep in mind that many of these are free on Kindle, although you might have to do some hunting.

message 2: by Simon (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:22AM) (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 133 comments These are excellent value for money. I've read a few of them already (see shelf for them) and they are an excellent way for sampling a classic author's work.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
I find these new at Half Price Books sometimes. I plan on collecting more of them, right now I have In a Glass Darkly by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu and Madam Crowl's Ghost and Other Stories (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural) by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu . I will never buy the Ambrose Bierce one, though. That cover is too nasty.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

That's how I've gotten most of mine, Martha. I kept passing it by, but finally I caved and bought the Ambrose Bierce one. I agree the cover is awful. One to hide from my mother. :)

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Simon, I hadn't seen the Oliver Onions one. I need to get it.

message 6: by Simon (last edited Sep 17, 2010 07:53AM) (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 133 comments The Oliver Onions is a new release in the series. They just keep adding to it. Hopefully they will add some Machen and Blackwood to this series too...

By the way, the've reissued the Ambrose Bierce book with a new, somewhat more tasteful cover:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terror-Night-...

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I'll have to troll the bookstore to look for the Onions, since it's just out.

I hope they keep adding books. This series is great.

message 8: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 122 comments I like this publisher only because its so cheap really. I would never buy books by fav classic writers. The quality of the books is not too good.

For trying new authors for you its good enough.

message 9: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 133 comments I know there's been some problems with some of their releases but I think, in terms of binding quality, they stand up alongside most regular priced books. And let us not forget that much of this series is not in print elsewhere, or if it is, it's vastly more expensive.

message 10: by Mohammed (last edited Sep 18, 2010 04:27AM) (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 122 comments Simon wrote: "I know there's been some problems with some of their releases but I think, in terms of binding quality, they stand up alongside most regular priced books. And let us not forget that much of this se..."

They dont stand up to regular priced paperback, they are in pieces in seconds almost. Its the rare authors that make it worth. I have already given away books by fav authors by this publisher. I will look more for the anthologies,less popular authors

Most of the authors like Poe,Le Fanu,Howard,Hodgson.Stoker and co have much better collections by many other publishers in paperback form,inexpensive hardcovers. It depends how you rate the authors. I would never buy REH books by them.

Still they are important for their price.

message 11: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 133 comments I think you must have been unlucky. The half a dozen or so that I have read are all still in pretty good nick, as good as most other paperback's I buy.

The only ones I would definitely steer clear of are the Lovecraft editions that were apparently based on very poor versions of the text.

message 12: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 122 comments Simon wrote: "I think you must have been unlucky. The half a dozen or so that I have read are all still in pretty good nick, as good as most other paperback's I buy.

The only ones I would definitely steer clear..."

The condition is decent but they are not good enough for your fav authors. Paperback condition is not too good to begin with too.

It depends on if its books you want to re-read,read often.