Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Book Discussions > Unconventional Amish

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marta (new)

Marta Perry (martaperry) | 61 comments Sorry you've been disappointed in so many of the books you read. What types of fiction do you normally like? There are varieties in types of Amish fiction, as in other subgenres.

Best,
Marta Perry

message 2: by Diane U (last edited Sep 16, 2010 08:03AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Well if you are looking for some new authors, give Vannetta Chapman and Barbara Cameron a try! I have book reviews written on my blog about their newest books.

http://uselesscrafts.blogspot.com/201...

http://uselesscrafts.blogspot.com/201...

Other than these two authors, I have also read a series from Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter. There are several other Amish authors that I will be reading someday such as Amy Clipton, Beth Wiseman, Marta Perry, Kathleen Fuller and Shelly Shepard Gray. I cannot speak for their books yet but I bet others in the group can!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Can I ask which authors you do or do not like? Perhaps if you give us some examples we can suggest some books that would be more your style.

Personally, I've really enjoyed novels from Amy Clipston, Barbara Cameron, Vannetta Chapman and Beverly Lewis. I prefer Lewis's later works as I have found a couple of her earlier novels to be a bit cliched. It does really depend on what kind of novel you're looking for - I enjoy family-sagas with a pinch of romance so these authors appeal to me. If you're looking for thrillers or mysteries then you might be better suited to other authors from this genre.

Of course, I haven't enjoyed every Amish novel I've read. I've tried two novels from Wanda Brunstetter and they just don't suit me - I found them far too predictable and didn't think there was much in terms of character development. So I can understand when you think that some authors don't do the genre justice! However, I can see Brunstetter's books appealing to those who want light, clean, old-fashioned romances that they can easily read in a couple of hours.

If you're looking for something out-of-the-ordinary in terms of Amish themed novels, I can highly recommend Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 81 comments If your interested in Amish fiction that revolves around crime then give Karen S. Harper a chance,her books have romance but they also have a true plot where murder takes place, her books are a few years old but I still remember the stories as if I read them yesterday.
P.L.Gaus writes amish mysteries as well and his work is wonderful, his books take place in and around Sugarcreek Ohio.
Linda Castillo also writes Amish Fiction, but her murder mysteries include quite a bit of gore.

message 5: by Shelter (last edited Sep 17, 2010 10:06AM) (new)

Shelter Somerset (sheltersomerset) | 8 comments Anyone heard of Jerry Eicher? I like this author because he actually grew up Amish. He does not present them as perfect little dolls with no personalities. Some may find his style dry, but at least you can believe he's authentic. Well, I think he is, anyway. I do have suspicions Jerry might be a market ploy much like Franklin W. Dixon was. I remember crying when I found out the Hardy Boys were actually written by a team of up to 20 different writers.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I can understand your issues with Wanda Brunstetter - the two books that I read were a bit unbelievable in terms of predictability.

I've not read anything by Jerry Eicher but I've seen a lot of his books being advertised. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have to try one of his books sometime. I never read the Hardy Boys but I remember discovering that Ann M. Martin had most of her Babysitters Club books ghostwritten! A shock to me as a ten year old.

Brenda, thanks for the heads up on Linda Castillo. I have one of her books on my wishlist but I didn't realise they were gory.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 81 comments Rachel, I have a review up of her last book I believe it was Sworn to Silence, there isn't alot of gore, but they do go into great detail when they describe the murder scenes and how the conditions of the bodies when found, I personally like her writing but gore is ok with me :)>

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 81 comments Rachel, I totally agree I loved Jodi Picoult's book Plain Truth, the movie didn't do the book justice in my opinion, but I think that is usually how it goes.

message 9: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I loved Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth! I saw the movie too and too many things were left out that I felt like I was missing so much from the story. I have not read a Jodi Picoult book that I have not enjoyed!