Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Page Numbering Requests > ISBN 0545317800

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 10 comments I have this book in eBook version. I put in the page count as 288 because I bought it off the B&N site where the source is from. However on the Edit page someone else has changed it saying that hers is an official copy. Well obviously mine is too so which should it be or should there be none period. I guess this is to someone a little higher in the librarian status to make a final decision.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments AFAIK, ebook page numbers may vary depending on the version, so either page count should be right...but 288 would seem to be more correct because the print version is around that length as well...

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24694 comments Meghan, which format ebook do you have?

If it is PDF or epub we can use those numbers for the page count as they do not vary no matter which device you use to read them.

If its not either of those we leave the page count blank.

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 10 comments I always buy my books on B&N which I think is ePub not entirely sure. On every other version of the books I buy the page numbers don't change and no one really bothers on changing it.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24694 comments Meghan, on the copyright page it usually says if it is epub.

Regardless I'll nip over to B&N and see if I can tell, without buying. LOL.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24694 comments Meghan my computer is playing up and not connecting to B&N so you'll have to look at the copyright page and see if it says epub, or look at B&N yourself.

message 7: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 10 comments Ok I went to the copyright page...and no place does it say the format it is in.

And on B&N it says

Product Details
Pub. Date: August 2010
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Sold By: Barnes & Noble
Format: eBook
Sales Rank: 8
Age Range: Young Adult
Series: Hunger Games Series , #3
File Size: 505 KB
ISBN-13: 9780545317801
ISBN: 0545317800

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24694 comments Darn, well that is not helpful.

Meghan you sure you don't remember exactly what format it was you downloaded?

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments as far as I know, Nook uses epub...I took a look at Amazon but it just references the hardcover number of pages (and since it uses location numbers)...but the number of pages in the hardcover is 400 (but I don't think that will help at all)

message 10: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 10 comments I buy the version off of B&N every time so whatever version they sell for their ebooks in general is the one that I buy. But I just noticed my Nook has a crack on one of the buttons so I will call and ask a customer service rep today.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24694 comments I've messaged Xeni to find out which format she is reading also.

And no Delicious Dee the 400 pg is a standard pg count from Amazon which is 98% wrong, it is based on size.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 845 comments no...it says very says page count based off hardcover version = 400pages, which is supported by borders, which also lists it at 400 pages...B&N lists it at 390 pages...

they don't estimate page numbers based on size, because if there is no print copy (i.e. from smaller ebook only publishers), they don't list a page count

message 13: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) | 41 comments I took a second look at my ebook and it seems someone "moved things around" in it. The other two books of the series that I also have as an ebook have the exact cover, chapter images, complete page images (it is a pdf)and there the page numbers matched with what was in the GR database.

It would seem that someone tampered with this ebook to make it more legible on the iphone or some other small device since the whole thing runs as one block of text until the end of the chapter. No official chapter images. Only the official Mockingjay cover image, which you can really get anywhere.

I suppose I should have taken a closer look, but I was intent more on reading rather than format. I'll conceed to ★Meghan★ 's 288 pages since her's is definitely not tampered with. My apologies.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24694 comments Thanks for the reply ♥Xeni♥ :)

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24694 comments OK, page number has been changed to 288.

Delicious Dee, Amazon frequently lists books at 400 pages - having purchased many, many of them I can tell you that they are nearly always wrong. (Some at only 280 pgs to some that are 580 pgs) It is a convention between various outlets that they use standard page numbers, guesstimated from size of books. At least that is how it was explained to me many edits ago.

:D

message 16: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments Sandra wrote: "I've messaged Xeni to find out which format she is reading also.

And no Delicious Dee the 400 pg is a standard pg count from Amazon which is 98% wrong, it is based on size."

The 400pg count is based on a print edition, not an eBook edition. When we get page numbers for eBooks from the various online shops, they are always wrong as the listing uses a print page number.

As for B&N, they sell ePub.

But we seem to have a discrepancy here. I have Mockingjay as an ePub and the page count is 277.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24694 comments Perhaps yours is a different edition JSWolf. If so you have the option of an alternate cover edition or just go with the flow on 288 instead of 277. Up to you :)

message 18: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments There is no alternate cover. It's the standard cover with 277 pages. It's not 288. It's not a different cover. Is this 288 page version being looked at in Adobe Digital Editions?

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24694 comments An alternate cover edition doesn't have to have an alternate cover, in this case you have an alternate number of pages.

In the earlier case the ebook was PDF, no need for Adobe Digital Editions just straight Adobe will do.

message 20: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments This is a newish book and most new eBooks have separate ISBN numbers for the different versions. So please find the ISBN number for the PDF and create the entry for that. Don't steal the ISBN for the ePub version.