The County Library discussion

In the News > The Great American Novel?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 15, 2010 06:52PM) (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
There's been a lot of talk about Jonathan Franzen's new book Freedom- both positive and negative. Some are calling it the novel of the century, and to others Franzen is a lightning rod for all that's wrong with the New York literary establishment. I haven't read it yet, but I have it on hold. He had the cover of Time magazine recently- here's the article: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article...

What do you think? Have you read it? If not, what do you think about the concept of the "great American novel"? Could that exist, and what would it look like? Would you nominate something else?

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison (bookgirlut) | 30 comments I just saw that Oprah has picked this title for her current bookclub read.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "I just saw that Oprah has picked this title for her current bookclub read."

Yeah- now I'm really glad I already had it on hold!

message 4: by Danette (new)

Danette | 14 comments Although I don't usually like Oprah Book Club selections, I have this one on hold and I am looking forward to reading it. I don't know about the "great American novel" thing. It seems too difficult to choose just one and why bother when there are so many great authors and novels. Of course I have a hard time deciding what my favorite color is :) But maybe I'll feel differently after I have read it...