Progressive Liberal Readers discussion

Saying Hi

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 8 comments Hi Everyone, I just saw that this group exists and decided to join. I'm definitely a progressive liberal reader. I live in Evanston, Illinois and am a social worker. What kind of books do you exchange ideas about?

message 2: by James (new)

James Birch (jameswallacebirch) | 5 comments Hello! I am glad to join this group but it seems dead? Is there another one alive on Goodreads?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 8 comments There doesn't seem to be anything going on it. As you can see, I wrote a comment almost a year ago and nothing else has been here since then? Do you want to start a discussion about anything?

message 4: by James (new)

James Birch (jameswallacebirch) | 5 comments Lisa,

Thanks for your message! i think I found a new group that is good and active that you might want to join:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

We could talk on there :)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 8 comments Hi, I just joined that group (I think). It still wouldn't let me comment. I'll try again. Have you read "What's the Matter With Kansas?"

message 6: by James (new)

James Birch (jameswallacebirch) | 5 comments I was just thinking about that book. I have wanted to, but I have not yet. Have you read it recently?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 8 comments I read it a couple of years ago, but I think it applies to the whole country. He presents his ideas well in the first 50-60 pages and then the rest seems like he's restating the same thesis. Nevertheless, it's worth reading for those first pages.

message 8: by James (new)

James Birch (jameswallacebirch) | 5 comments Cool. And that's Thomas Freedman or am I misremembering?

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 8 comments No, it was Thomas something else but I forgot his name.

message 10: by George (new)

George Kelley (geokelley) | 1 comments Hello all, My name is George and I live in Nashville. I'm a new progressive who wasted his younger years as a conservative. My apologies.

I currently teach political science at a college in this area and have just written a book on progressive politics. It's written in a satirical style and it attempts to educate readers on one of the most poisonous philosophies in politics today: the selfishness of Ayn Rand. The book is called Ayn Rand Hates Tuscaloosa, And You Too, Joplin!

Anyway, that's the last plug I will make for this book in this group. Had to get it out of my system.

I'm interested in any good reading recommendations you might have.

Best regard,
GeorgeAyn Rand Hates Tuscaloosa, And You Too Joplin!