You Debate, We De Sharks discussion

Today's Issues > Halloween

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do | 200 comments I didn't know what topic this should be on, but what ever. So what do you think? For it or ageist it?

message 2: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Sep 15, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments *BURSTS INTO SONG!*
THis is Halloween!
This is Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!

Halloween is quite the fun holiday. Who here still goes trick-or-treating? (Or better yet, which of you heathans have stopped?!)

17 is not too old to go around the neighborhood dressed as a time-travelling alien while begging for candy. You're never too old for it. :D

P.S. I'm for it.

*Mrs. Brightside* Haha. Halloween is the DEVIl!! Just kidding(; my mom doesn't Want me celebrating it though. My friend and cousin has a birthday on it too! But Halloween..I just hope not to see anyone with the scream mask, and it's dark out 80

message 4: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do | 200 comments Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "*BURSTS INTO SONG!*
THis is Halloween!
This is Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!

Halloween is quite the fun holiday. Who here still goes trick-or-treati..."

I like that song, and good movie.

As you know and probably guessed, I don't celebrate it, but I do like the creepy music, movies and stuff. Fun.

message 5: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Wait...WHAT!!!!!! Why???? (like i don't already know ;-))

message 6: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments hehe yes all the non-theists just love Christmas ;-)

message 7: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments lol see.....atheists are cold heartless monsters ;-)

message 8: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments lol...only your brother does

message 9: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments where's he been...by the way??? I have a group for him

message 10: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "*BURSTS INTO SONG!*
THis is Halloween!
This is Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!
Halloween!

Halloween is quite the fun holiday. ..."

that song whenever I hear it gets stuck in my head for the next week so I can no longer watch that movie XD

I really dont mind halloween but I dont trick or treat

*Mrs. Brightside* Haha, you have a reputation with him I see XD. I never heard of that Halloween song..and I love Christmas!!

message 12: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Lindsay wrote: "He's playing World of Warcraft right now, he's too scared to come on here because of me."

well here tell him to message me on goodreads

message 13: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do | 200 comments Lindsay wrote: "N.S.A, I hope you realize the fact that All Hollow's Eve (the original name before it became "halloween") is the day before All Saint's Day, and it is supposed to be the time when demons and other ..."

I know about the history. When my family was not Christan, we use to to trick-or-treating.
What I also don't like about Halloween, that is the day all the occult artists do there thing. In a way, yes it is a religious holiday, but it is still not a good day to celebrate. And kids get kidnapped, and much worse.

*Mrs. Brightside* Really? Didn't know that..but you weren't a Christian before?! Whoa, you transformed good.

message 15: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments who???

*Mrs. Brightside* NSA

message 17: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments O wow no he is a total fundie

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments I think we should celebrate every day, and take advantage of every opportunity to dress up in costumes without breaking social norms! :D

Bad things happen every day. The important thing is not to let those things stop us from enjoying every day of our lives.

I'm still trying to figure out which Doctor to go as (Ahh, why do I keep dressing up as guys? First Harry, then Percy, now the Doctor...my friends are starting to think I'm dropping hints about something), or if I should go as a Weeping Angel, or maybe a gas-mask-zombie thing!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments And Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday!

*Mrs. Brightside* Well...he believes in the whole bible (I think) and wasn't a Christian before! I don't know how that can happen

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments *Mrs.Brightside* wrote: "Well...he believes in the whole bible (I think) and wasn't a Christian before! I don't know how that can happen"

I'm assuming that he just converted. People feel drawn to different types of religious belief and expression.

*Mrs. Brightside* Ahhh, okay. That makes more sense, I guess. Lol

*Mrs. Brightside* Oh, that sounds awesome XD

message 24: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 99 comments Last year I got a 60's style shirt suit from goodwill, a cheap blond wig from the drugstore, ornamental birds from Hobby Lobby, and fake blood from walgreens

Guess who I went as? :)

On another note I really don't associate Halloween with evil or ghost,demons ects. I tend to think of it more as a welcoming of fall. However I do live in a conservative town in texas (hence many Halloween carnival are called "fall festivals" and the temp doesn't drop below 60 until Novemeber

message 25: by Marco (new)

Marco (marcoreads) | 72 comments everyday is Halloween for me.

Scary

message 26: by Laika (new)

Laika no offence, but why is this a topic? Pretty much everyone looooves haloween!

*Mrs. Brightside* I don't! But I'm not like everyone anyways..maybe he was bored, or just wanted to talk about the true meaning of it, or something!

message 28: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 515 comments I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 29: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do | 200 comments yep, I got board and posted it. Mind as well talk about it.

message 30: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 479 comments Mod
Halloween's cool. :)

message 31: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 515 comments Finish the lyrics!

Boys and Girls of every age would you like to see something strange. Come with us and you will see...

message 32: by Marco (last edited Sep 19, 2010 03:56PM) (new)

Marco (marcoreads) | 72 comments The Fox Princess wrote: "Finish the lyrics!

Boys and Girls of every age would you like to see something strange. Come with us and you will see..."

how twisted you all are inside!!!

BOOYAH

message 33: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 441 comments The Fox Princess wrote: "Finish the lyrics!

Boys and Girls of every age would you like to see something strange. Come with us and you will see..."

its our town of halloween (I think) This is halloween this is halloween...

message 34: by Marco (new)

Marco (marcoreads) | 72 comments What?? circles?

*Mrs. Brightside* The Fox Princess wrote: "Finish the lyrics!

Something that is really scary! Haha, I made that up XP

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Halloween: I'm for it. Besides all the religious and inner meaning aspects, there is also the fact that it encourages children to go out with their friends and overcome some shyness (knocking on random peoples' doors, for instance, or wearing a weird costume and fake wart =] ) It let's people of all ages run free.

There is, however ONE thing that is negative. This doesn't really bother me, considering I'm all for the candy collecting and dressing up, but:

Seeing all the gory costumes and fake blood dripping everywhere desensetises the children. It teaches them that blood and guts and screaming is perfectly fine, it makes them USED to monsters and guts and gore.

P.S I'm born the day after Halloween. I was going to be born on the actual day, but my mom said no. I wonder why? ;)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments Ahhhh, the Romans. Because we should base all of our morality off of the fact that it's not as bad as what they did. Sure, we can electrocute people! I mean, it's not like we're crucifying them or feeding them to lions! ;)

I honestly don't think that Halloween blood and guts is what would desensitize kids that much. I think it's more of the video games, movies, and TV shows that depict violence and death as a form of entertainment.

message 38: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 515 comments I need help! I'm gonna be Halloween tomorrow for favorite holiday day but I am not sure how I would dress up as Halloween... Any suggestions?

message 39: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 99 comments I'll be dressing up as La Llorona

[image error]

message 40: by Mutt (new)

Mutt N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote:"What I also don't like about Halloween, that is the day all the occult artists do there thing."

This is "The day" huh?

I'll let you in on an extra special occult secret...

There's no one day a year when occult artists do their thing. Trust me on this.

There are plenty of pagan-based or Satanically based (LaVeyan Satanism, not theistic, although they might as well. Never met a true Satan/Devil worshipper) religions that do, but for many occultists, there is nothing special about Halloween except that any rituals that they're involved in might be interrupted by children wanting sugar.

message 41: by Unidragonfrag (new)

Unidragonfrag Bad things happen every day and to assume it happens more so on Halloween is ignorant.

I say it's just a day and to get worked up about it is stupid. Go get your candy and be happy with the sugar rush.

message 42: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments I have nothing against Halloween.

For me, it's a time to get out with your friends or family and spend time together late outside. I like those kinds of get-togethers, so I wouldn't be against it at all.

Anyways, it'd be more than hard to get the entire States to quit Halloween.

message 43: by Amber (new)

Amber (skys) My mom says that Halloween is really bad because it's giving the wrong impression to little kids. Saying that if you dress up in scary and gory costumes and get sweet candy in return , it's saying that all that bad stuff people pretend to be is alright, that theres nothing wrong with it and your even getting candy for free.

message 44: by *Sklip* (last edited Jan 28, 2011 11:23AM) (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments I see where your mom is getting at.

Like afraid that you're slowly and unconsciously building demented murderers?

message 45: by Amber (new)

Amber (skys) Yea, like saying all that stuff is good and sweet. That there isn't anything wrong with it.

message 46: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments LOL the best arguement I can come up for this topic at the moment is how are you going to stop the entire nation from celebrating Halloween by trick-or-treating?

((Psssst! Make a new holiday!))

message 47: by Amber (new)

Amber (skys) haha, yea I know! no one person can stop the whole world!

message 48: by Unidragonfrag (last edited Jan 28, 2011 11:30AM) (new)

Unidragonfrag Beatrice, no offense, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I've literally NEVER heard that excuse before. I've heard the excuse that the little girls are dressing sexually and making themselves objects and I can kinda see that, but that's the parent's fault for letting them out like that.

It's just PRETEND. If your mother honestly thinks sending you out in a bloody outfit is going to turn you into a serial killer she's got very little faith in your common sense.

Stalkerninja: Exactly! It's a time to have fun and be with your friends and family (not to mention get free candy).
Plus, I love haunted houses and 21+ Halloween parties are always super fun.

message 49: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 108 comments LOL I'm not that old yet =]

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber (skys) Well, that what she thinks. she thinks its not right to even pretend to do that because all that that bad stuff has to do with the Devil and it's like were trying to make an excuse to act like one of his demons. ahe says, if you don't want to be like that, why even pretend and dressup in the first place.

« previous 1