Janet Evanovich Book Group discussion

Janet fan stuff > Wicked Appetite Anyone?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail (new)

Gail (wwwgoodreadscomgail303) | 11 comments Just wondered if anyone has read it yet?

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I haven't read it yet, but I did buy it. It's part of my October challenge so I have to wait. :(

message 3: by Brittiany (new)

Brittiany | 3 comments I finished it yesterday afternoon. I found it a very fun read. The between the numbers books were fun, but I didn't like mixing the supernatural with an otherwise normal story. I like Diesel having his own series, and since it begins with that twist of mystical "unmentionable" abilities I can definitely get into it a little more than when it was thrown in out of nowhere in the Plum series. I like this new Lizzy character, and her friend Glo. I can see this will be another fun series. I'm already looking forward to the next!

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) I just finished it. This is a fun read. I audio/read & Lorelei King was awesome. Cat is my favorite character so far. This should be fun.

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby White (abigailewhite) | 5 comments I'm with Brittiany, I like Diesel with his own series. I didn't like the two mixing either. It was a fun afternoon read.

message 6: by La-kesha (new)

La-kesha | 3 comments I just got the free first chapter download from B&N and was going to download the full book. I can't wait to start reading.

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I am on page 112, so far so good. You can tell JE is trying to make Elizabeth different from Stephanie Plum. I'm enjoying her character, she has some brains.

message 8: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments I think the shop owner has a bit of Stephanie's dad's character. But really I'm totally enjoying the book. I might re-read it was that funny!

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine This was much better than the "between the number" books. I really enjoyed Diesel more. The other characters were fun and likeable. It ended with you wanting more. Looking forward to the next in the series.

message 10: by Hapzydeco (new)

Hapzydeco | 3 comments Mystic location - Salem, Massachusetts. A character returns - Diesel. Nice-girl alter ego of Stephanie Plum - Lizzie. Look forward to how Evanovich’s new duo will battle the rest of the Seven Deadly Sins.

message 11: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments Loved the new book!

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie I just finished this book and was soooo disappointed. I guess this was Janet's take on fantasy. But I just thought it was almost too similar to the Plum books. Plus Carl is back? Did anyone not feel like every other page had the monkey saying "EEK"?????? I prefer Diesel with Stephanie!!!

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen (helengl) | 2 comments Angie wrote: "I just finished this book and was soooo disappointed. I guess this was Janet's take on fantasy. But I just thought it was almost too similar to the Plum books. Plus Carl is back? Did anyone not..."

Exactly my thoughts. And on the pages where Carl didn't say "eep..." he gave finger instead. It wasn't funny anymore just plain boring.

message 14: by Devon (new)

Devon (deardevon) | 1 comments I agree with Angie and Helen. Not much else to say. I felt it was both over the top and flat. I hope they get better.

message 15: by Robert (last edited Nov 18, 2010 06:56AM) (new)

Robert Thornhill | 9 comments Angie wrote: "I just finished this book and was soooo disappointed. I guess this was Janet's take on fantasy. But I just thought it was almost too similar to the Plum books. Plus Carl is back? Did anyone not..."

If you are looking for a new mystery/comedy series that is fresh and new, check out the Lady Justice Series.

It is a laugh-out-loud mystery/comedy only all the characters in these 2 novels are senior citizens. Think of a whole book of 'Grandma Mazur' characters! You can find them on http://www.BooksByBob.com

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Just getting started on this one. The reviews above are not promising though!

message 17: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 29, 2010 02:47PM) (new)

Jennifer (jenknee) | 5 comments i thought it was great!. It was a good story and it makes you laugh. which is always a plus. i would recommend it. :)

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I liked it too.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought it was Plum redone and not well done.

message 20: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments I could re-read this title!!! But I love the between the numbers books and think Janet should have several more with other characters being the main character such as one with Ranger or Joe or Lulu.....

Just my personal thoughts, Keep writing Janet!!!!

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Just finished it and I must say I was not overly impressed. Too far out there and I really didn't find it that funny. Oh well, looking forward to the next Plum book.

message 22: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I couldn't even finish it, there were way to many similiarities and overdone/over used formulas that were similar to the Plum series. So glad I didn't buy it. :( I really hope Plum #17 due out in June is better than #16, otherwise I am setting this eries aside. Sadly.

message 23: by Faye (new)

Faye | 2 comments Just finished it. I'm a huge Janet fan and here's my review:

"Stephanie is reinvented as Lizzy; Diesel takes Morelli's placel; Lula is Clara and Granny Mazur is a monkey. A stupid monkey that is the straw that broke the camel's back in busting through the barrier between where one can blissfully enjoy suspended disbelief and where one realizes they are wasting their time on forgettable fluff that rots your brain.

It's as good as I'd imagine Bewitched, I dream of Jeannie or the Adams family to be. So formulaic, accessible and vanilla it kinda tarnishes Janet Evanovich's glory. It seems to flaunt in the reader's face that Janet is actually a bestselling-writing robot akin the to the Hollywood script-writing machine and no soul is actually required to pump these puppies out.

I thought I'd love it, but it really dissappointed. I don't know if I'll read the rest or not, and that's saying something because I love the Plum series. "

message 24: by Crystal (new)

Crystal So I just started reading this book and im almost ashamed to admit it's the first Evanovich book ive read. I feel like im missing something though, like there was something prior I should have read. Did anyone else feel this way???? If there is something someone could recommend would be much appreciated. But I do find myself laughing out loud quite a bit at the gibberish coming out of the mouth of the glutton (I can't recall her name off the top of my head). Thanks.

message 25: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Diesel is first introduced in the Stephanie Plum series in the "in between" short stories, usually about holidays. Plum Lovin' (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #2) by Janet Evanovich Visions of Sugar Plums (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #1) by Janet Evanovich Plum Lucky (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #3) by Janet Evanovich Plum Spooky (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #4)  by Janet Evanovich The character Stephanie Plum has her own series the first one is: One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann Balambao (ibeanniebe) | 2 comments I enjoyed the book very much and like the dynamic between Lizzy and Diesel.

message 27: by cha0ticbeth (new)

cha0ticbeth | 1 comments I really liked this book, it was the 3rd of 4th of the Plum line/type that I read. I have read several of her other books, and have since read even more of the Plum series. I really like Diesel & I like the line this series is following, and I can't wait for the next book!

message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnaenden) | 6 comments This book was ok I got about half way through the book and thought to myself why am I reading this? But then I just had to finish it because I was so close to being finished and had to give it a chance. It was realatively so-so especially compared to the Stephanie Plum series which are fun and entertaining and quick to read.

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly Davis (blueangel820) | 7 comments I did have a problem with this book I found it too silly in parts compared to JE's other books. *not just the Plum Books, which I LOVE* I think they should have had the cat in the book more than the monkey. It just seemed......... to fill space. Eek!

message 30: by Holly (new)

Holly Davis (blueangel820) | 7 comments Holly wrote: "I did have a problem with this book I found it too silly in parts compared to JE's other books. *not just the Plum Books, which I LOVE* I think they should have had the cat in the book more than th..."

But I will read the second one. I am just hooked on Janet's work. Probably buy the Love in a Nutshell book too!

message 31: by Anne (new)

Anne Mikusinsi (abghostwriter) I didn't like it as much as the Stephanie Plum books, but it did make me LOL more than once!

message 32: by Holly (new)

Holly Davis (blueangel820) | 7 comments Anne wrote: "I didn't like it as much as the Stephanie Plum books, but it did make me LOL more than once!"

I liked it but i didn't love it. The whole thing seemed spacey and needing a little something. But I do love Diesel

message 33: by Cori (new)

Cori | 1 comments I enjoyed this book! It was similar to the plum series but had its own twist! I can not wait till the next one!

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (jcscreads) I really enjoyed the book. I haven't read any of her stephanie plum books so I'm not sure who I prefer as diesel's leading lady, but I do love her books, they are quick and fun!

message 35: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnaenden) | 6 comments I have read this book and was not very happy with it it just felt really flat and kind of boring. There were some parts that were funny but the monkey was annoying and I think the series would do much better without him. I will read the second in the series to see if it gets any better.

message 36: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I loved this book and I thought some places were pretty funny!

message 37: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amalley71) | 1 comments I read it and loved it. It was a fun book.

message 38: by Nichole (new)

Nichole I loved this book. Can't wait for Wicked Business to come out!!!

message 39: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 222 comments Mod
Wicked tour this month!

Tuesday, June 19
Barnes & Noble
1311 Nixon Dr.
Moorestown, NJ
6 p.m. signing

Thursday, June 21
Barnes & Noble
55 Old Orchard Center
Skokie, IL
6 p.m. signing

Friday, June 29
KMOX Fontbonne University Book Club with Charlie Brennan
Stages St. Louis
111 S. Geyer Road
Kirkwood, MO
9 a.m. event/signing *RESERVATIONS REQUIRED*
For information/reservations, call 314-444-1827 or visit www.kmox.com
Left Bank Books will be onsite

Monday, July 9
National Writers Series & National Cherry Festival Fundraising Charity Event
City Opera House
106 E. Front St.
Traverse City, MI
7 p.m. event/signing *TICKETS REQUIRED*
For information/tickets, call 231-941-8082 or visit www.nationalwritersseries.org or www.cityoperahouse.org

message 40: by Komal (new)

Komal I'm going to her signing today! I'm excited but soo nervous!

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nervous!? Don't be nervous! She's wonderful as is her team. I've had the pleasure of having dinner with her and I can't tell you how nice Janet is.

You will have a blast!

message 42: by Claudia (last edited Jun 21, 2012 10:52AM) (new)

Claudia | 9 comments Regina wrote: "Diesel is first introduced in the Stephanie Plum series in the "in between" short stories, usually about holidays.Plum Lovin' (Stephanie Plum, #12.5) by Janet EvanovichVisions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5) by Janet EvanovichPlum Lucky (Stephanie Plum, #13.5) by Janet Evanovich[boo..."

message 43: by Komal (new)

Komal I just got back and wow! I had a blast. Janet was so sweet if not a wee bit tired. So glad I went :) Thanks Nicole for reassuring me :)

message 44: by Nicole (new)

So glad you had a blast Komal! Told ya she's lovely. I'm sure she is tired. Crap, I'm tired and I've been sitting on my ass all week!

message 45: by Elena (new)

Elena I have finally managed to start the "Wicked" series and read Wicked Appetite - it was very similar to Stephanie Plum series, but i hated it!! The dialogue seemed so immature, the heroine whiny and annoing - constant talk of food and what she wants to eat -it was all just booooring...Diesel was plain weird and unmemorable (besides being hot)... I think that the fact that I chose audio books is what additionally killed it for me - it's the same narrator! Don't get me wrong-the narrator is good, it's just that she(obviously) makes Lizzy sound the same as Stephanie and all the other characters sound just like Plum series characters. On top of that, the plot is cookie cutter material, so I can't seem to sepparate the two series ! Also, writing about the paranormal just does NOT seem to be J.E.'s forte, and in that aspect the book falls flat.
Also, there are just some STUPID lines and characters that are pointless, i.e. the stupid monkey who constantly gives the finger?! Really?!?! Throughout the book i felt that the author was mocking us / making fun of our intelligence...My opinion...

message 46: by Jaime (new)

Jaime D'haene | 3 comments I loved it! Can't wait for more!