Q&A with author Margaret Coel discussion

Challenges of writing a series of books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Coel | 20 comments Mod
The Spider's Web is the fifteenth novel in the series. What are the challenges and joys of writing about the same main characters and around the same locations?

message 2: by Jan C (last edited Sep 17, 2010 06:50PM) (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 3 comments Should your books be read in order or is there no carryover of story and/or characters (other than Vicky Holden & Father John)?

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1 comments Is it difficult to remember the details of the relationships between characters after so many books, e.g. Vicky and Father John?

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary | 1 comments In my series, THE MAINE SHORE CHRONICLES,I try to carry over traits and characteristics of my characters, but at the same time make each book become the story of a particular characterfrom the previous book. I definitely would want more about Vicky and Father John in Spider's Web. They are the hook that keeps me reading.
Mary Fremont Schoenecker

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Mary wrote: "In my series, THE MAINE SHORE CHRONICLES,I try to carry over traits and characteristics of my characters, but at the same time make each book become the story of a particular characterfrom the prev..."
Thanks for the comment. Father John and Vicky are the hook that keeps me writing the Wind River series!

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret wrote: "The Spider's Web is the fifteenth novel in the series. What are the challenges and joys of writing about the same main characters and around the same locations?"

The biggest challenge is writing about the same location, but not repeating myself. In each novel, I try to describe the landscape of the reservation, the sky, the far distance views--all of that--in different ways, which means trying to see them, myself, in new and different ways.
There really isn't as much a challenge in writing about the same characters because they are always involved in a very different story, which means they have to make different decisions, take different actions from the previous stories.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Jan C wrote: "Should your books be read in order or is there no carryover of story and/or characters (other than Vicky Holden & Father John)?"

A lot of my readers prefer to read the series in order,but I try to write each novel so that you can jump in, enjoy the story and not be lost. That said, some characters, besides Father John and Vicky, do carry over and, naturally, things happen to them. For example, Vicky's ex-husband, Ben, appears in the earlier books. Adam Lone Eagle comes in the later books. Elena, the housekeeper at the priest's residence at St. Francis Mission, is in every book, basically running things. And there is always Walks-On, Father John's Golden Retriever.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Diane wrote: "Is it difficult to remember the details of the relationships between characters after so many books, e.g. Vicky and Father John?"
Not really. Father John and Vicky seem like old, close friends. I know their history, everything they've been through, how they feel about things and how they're likely to react to new situations. That said, like old friends, they still surprise me!