Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Recs for Books that Seal Off a Town/City/State

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) | 235 comments Hey guys,

Over the past couple weeks, I have come to discover that I love the premise of a town being sealed off completely from the rest of the world. I started reading Brian Keene's Darkness on the Edge of Town and am loving it. I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions that would fit this idea? I know about Dean Koontz's The Taking (own), and Stephen King's Under the Dome, and The Mist (own both). Is there any others that might fit this category? Thanks for the help!

Books Listed So Far:
Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene
The Mist by Stephen King
The Taking by Dean Koontz
Under the Dome by Stephen King

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The Missing by Sarah Langan

message 4: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) | 235 comments Should I read the first Keeper novel to better understand the second one, Tressa?

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Anyone know of any that keep people stuck in a single house?

message 5: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments How about a book about agoraphobia with a serial killer out to get you? Isn't there a movie about that? I saw it but I don't recall the name. I saw so many movies they all blur together.

message 6: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) | 235 comments Oooooh, that sounds great, Aloha! Hopefully the name comes to you, or someone else knows what you're talking about.

message 7: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments It's Copycat with Sigourney Weaver.

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/cat...

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Should I read the first Keeper novel to better understand the second one, Tressa?

Branden, no. I didn't. I'll be reading Keeper soon, but the only connector between the two is that the abandoned town the school teacher takes the kids on a field trip to in The Missing is the town that fought an evil in The Keeper. Does that make sense?

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Oh, try A Gathering of Crows by Brian Keene , too.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments A Gathering of Crows is the new one by Keene that involves a town being cut off from the rest of the world.

And I agree with what Tressa says. The Keeper can be read separately from The Missing

message 11: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Branden, here's another movie about agoraphobia, Ghostwatcher. It looks good! I put it in my queue.

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/cat...

message 12: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) | 235 comments Awesome, thanks guys!

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments How could I forget about The Regulators. I loved that book.

message 14: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) The Town That Forgot How to Breathe: A Novel is one. Although I didn't like it.

message 15: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments I can't remember if this is also part of the premise in I Am Legend or not. Regardless that novella is a must read. I simply adore it.

message 16: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 545 comments Oooh also Bad Moon Rising. But I recommend you read the other two books before this one.

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina | 83 comments Zombette wrote: "I can't remember if this is also part of the premise in I Am Legend or not. Regardless that novella is a must read. I simply adore it."

The guy in I Am Legend isn't trapped he's just the last man on earth so he basically has nowhere else to go. If that fits into what your looking for Branden it is a very good book.

message 18: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) | 235 comments I've definitely got I Am Legend, thanks! Great recs so far.

message 19: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 65 comments The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell. I am reading it now, it is excellent. It took about half the book before it got pretty scary, but the buildup was very effective. I never want to live in a small town!

message 20: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 122 comments You can go old-school sci-fi and check out City at World's End by Edmund Hamilton. 99 cents on Kindle. Kind of fun, much like an old 50's sci-fi movie. A small town blasted intact into the distant future.

message 21: by Fallon (new)

Fallon Blake | 3 comments I think Stranger by Simon Clark would fit into that category. I haven't read it yet, but it's in my TBR.