The Next Best Book Club discussion

Diane's AtWi 80 books Challenge > Liz - Frequent Flyer

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (last edited Dec 26, 2010 07:30PM) (new)

Liz I don't plan on finishing this in 1 year, but I'm so excited about the idea of this challenge, that I'm going to trek along at my own pace (& keep track of my traveling here). I plan on reading books that aren't a part of this challenge at the same time & am justifying to myself that it would be like reading a book for fun while traveling - this way I can fit in more of my fantasy & group reads without feeling like I'm messing up my itinerary ;)

UPDATE: I have changed to frequent flyer. I figure I'm much more likely to accomplish this if I can read in any order I want.

CURRENTLY VISITING: Canada - Anne of Green Gables

message 2: by Liz (last edited Dec 26, 2010 07:30PM) (new)

Liz North America

the United States -

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania: Spirit Bound; Crestmont
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Canada -

message 3: by Liz (last edited Dec 26, 2010 07:27PM) (new)

message 4: by Liz (last edited Oct 05, 2010 10:30AM) (new)

Liz the Middle East

message 5: by Liz (last edited Dec 31, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

message 6: by Liz (last edited Oct 05, 2010 10:30AM) (new)

Liz Oceania

message 7: by Liz (last edited Oct 05, 2010 10:30AM) (new)

Liz Africa

message 8: by Liz (last edited Oct 05, 2010 10:30AM) (new)

Liz South America

message 9: by Liz (last edited Oct 05, 2010 10:30AM) (new)

Liz the Caribbean

message 10: by Liz (last edited Dec 31, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

Liz ABC

A
B
C: China
D
E: England
F
G: Germany
H
I: Italy
J
K
L
M
N
O
P: Poland
Q
R
S: Spain
T
U: United States
V
W
Y
Z

message 11: by Liz (last edited Dec 31, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

Liz Regions: 3
Countries: 7
US States: 2
Books: 10

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Librarian (ellenlibrarian) I think you left off New Mexico from the United States.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz I actually left off a lot of the states - I think I only have 37/50. I'm just trying to dip into states from the different regions without hitting them all. If you happen to have a book you recommend that's set in New Mexico, I'd consider adding it :)

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz After seeing the stats for everyone participating in this challenge, I noticed how much more successful people were when they were frequent fliers instead of trekkers. I'm going to try the trekker route, but may end up switching if it's too unrealistic for me.

message 15: by Ellen (last edited Sep 17, 2010 10:23AM) (new)

Ellen Librarian (ellenlibrarian) Liz wrote: "I actually left off a lot of the states - I think I only have 37/50. I'm just trying to dip into states from the different regions without hitting them all. If you happen to have a book you recomme..."

Since I'm a public librarian, I can't think of just one NM book. There's Death Comes for the Archbishop and Bless Me, Ultima, which are probably the two biggest classics, but there's also the more recent The Milagro Beanfield War and The Wind Leaves No Shadow (about Santa Fe courtesan and gambling queen Dona Tules). My personal favorites were the last two.

message 16: by Liz (last edited Sep 17, 2010 04:08PM) (new)

Liz Ellen, thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at them.

I also came across two others that sounded interesting to me - The Night Journal & Love's Haven.

message 17: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Librarian (ellenlibrarian) Cool! I'm not familiar with those books... Thanks for the heads up.

message 18: by Liz (last edited Oct 08, 2010 04:04PM) (new)

Liz 1. North America: United States: Pennsylvania - Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead by Richelle Mead Richelle Mead (4.5*)

message 19: by Liz (last edited Oct 08, 2010 04:04PM) (new)

Liz 2. Europe: Germany - The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson by Andrew Davidson Andrew Davidson (4.5*)

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments I think a couple of Lora Leigh's Breeds books are set in New Mexico, but they are def. not for everyone

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz 3. Europe: Poland - The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy by Louise Murphy Louise Murphy (4.5*)

4. North America: United States: New York - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith by Betty Smith Betty Smith (4.5*)

message 22: by Liz (last edited Nov 11, 2010 12:31PM) (new)

Liz 5. Europe: England - The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins Wilkie Collins (3.5*)

message 23: by Liz (new)

Liz 6. Europe: Spain - The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Carlos Ruiz Zafón (4.5*)

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz 7. Europe: Italy - Inkheart (Inkheart, #1) by Cornelia Funke Inkheart by Cornelia Funke Cornelia Funke (3.5*)

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz 8. North America: United States: Pennsylvania - Crestmont by Holly Weiss Crestmont by Holly Weiss Holly Weiss (3.5*)

9. Europe: England - The Pillars of the Earth (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) by Ken Follett The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett Ken Follett (5*)

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz 10. Asia: China - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See Lisa See (4.5*)