Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

General Chit Chat > Soundtrack for a book

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
OK i know its the Fantasy and vampire book club, just bear with me.

On the train i listen to my MP3 Player and i usually read a book. that is when the thought occured to me.

if your favourite book had a soundtrack ot even just a song that just goes with the book (or even reminds you of it) what would it be?

List the book and the songs or song (don't forget artist or band)that you think just goes with that particular book.

message 2: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments Okay here goes. When i was writing my own book the scene where the two main characters meet in a night club for the first time was alway something i played out in my head so that i could get it down just how i wanted, steamy, hot and a little sureal, the song i always imagined being played in the background was, Buttons, By the pussycat Dolls.

message 3: by Adele, Moderator (new)

when i read that scene i had sexy back (by Justin Timberlake) playing on my mp3 player and it went well, but funnily enough buttons came on right after it (total fluke!) and yeah it goes even better with it.

It's like choosing a song for a scene in a movie except your reading a book... a fight scene has to get your blood pumping so you choose something like heavy metal mixed in with classical or something like that. Sex scenes need something sexy and so on.

i was reading a fight scene (in one of the the Anita Blake books) and One by Metallica came on, that fit perfectly !

message 4: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments thanks i always like to imagaine pump it by the bep's for the big fight scene in my book if u havent got to that bit that will give u something to imagine lol

message 5: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) Adele wrote: "when i read that scene i had sexy back (by Justin Timberlake) playing on my mp3 player and it went well, but funnily enough buttons came on right after it (total fluke!) and yeah it goes even bette..."

Oooooooooooooooh i had one of those types of scene's in one of my other books and a metalica song was playing on my phone when i read it. It fit sooooooo well.

message 6: by Adele, Moderator (new)

♥MJ_Lover♥ wrote: "Oooooooooooooooh i had one of those types of scene's in one of my other books and a metalica song was playing on my phone when i read it. It fit sooooooo well. "

Which song and what book? are there any others that anybody has?

message 7: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) Lolz i cant remeber the name of the book or track. cause i have sooo many metalica on my phone and the book was from the library and i rad it ages ago. Ill rack my brain and try to remeber for you.

message 8: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2010 01:46PM) (new)

i was reading a scene in sookie stackhouse 2 and new born by muse came on....
it was when she was at the sex party and callista the maenad came onto the scene.
i got all goosebumpy.
it fit the scene perfectly

message 9: by girlpower12121 (last edited Jan 19, 2011 03:45AM) (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) Lolz!
Oh my god. I rally want to post somthing but i also dont wanna cause like... if someone reads it and they havnt read it im gonna feel sooooo bad. But ill try and make it as non spolier as possible Lolz :P This is for VA btw :)

At the part where Rose and Dimitri were in the Cabin and the end of shadow kiss and at a couple of parts in blood promise (im only up to page 157) The song Heartbeat by Enrique Igleasias and Nicole Scherzinger was next on the playlist i was listening to and i was like, omg! It fit it so well and like i cried so hard! Also in the cabin part i also though that Resistance by Muse could have worked too :)

message 10: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Jan 19, 2011 04:08AM) (new)

ooooooh good choice not to sure about resistance though, i'm going to re read shadowkiss once i pry it from my little sisters hands!!!!

message 11: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) Lolz. I was just listening to it and i was like it could fit :P lolz

message 12: by Adele, Moderator (new)

we shall see young padawan
we shall see :o) (Yep I've been into the star wars again!)

message 13: by girlpower12121 (last edited Jan 19, 2011 04:55AM) (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) LOLZ! i sorta guess :P oh also i have writeen more poems if u wanna cheak it out :)

message 14: by Adele, Moderator (new)

oh yeah i completely forgot.... dorry i have been a bit preoccupied!

message 15: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) Oh lolz dont worry about it :) Everyone gets busy :)

message 16: by April (new)

April Inman (illustratergirl) | 64 comments Hmm... I've always woundered how anyone can read and listen to music at the same time. I keep getting distracted and forget where I am in the book i'm reading. I normally listen to music when I'm drawing a scenery in my sketch pad or painting on canvas.
So my goal for this week, while I'm reading "Last Sacrifice", is to see what song(s) I think will fit with the book. Wish me luck lol. :)

message 17: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) Lolz good luck, normally i can read listen to music and fold clothes at the same time. Im a good multitasker. :P Also i think a song that might have fit the sense i said before could ahve been space bound by eminem.

message 18: by Adele, Moderator (new)

yeah good luck.
if you treat the music just like background noise, you might find something to fit.
i used to work in target, and in the store you had your usual music in the background, but you had staff annoucements overhead as well. so i learnt to work and listen out for annoucments as well. i just happened to enjoy the music more.
it was then that i discovered, that particular songs would suit certain tasks. when i do cleaning, i find Classical music the best to clean to.my walking to work music, is usually pop music. and the later to work that i am, the faster the beat!(i have rave type music for my oh crap i'm runnng really late to work)

message 19: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) LOLZ! That is very cute. I normally listen to good paced music for when i run. If i want to race walk, which is what i do alot, training for the school team lolz i listened to the right type of a music and ill keep in pace with it. :)

message 20: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments i find i cant listen to music while im reading or writing, however when im imaging scenes in my head for something im writing i always imagine music in the background.

message 21: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) I do that too when im writing, cause if im wiritng and singing to the song well like....it turns out weird lolz! I was writing an essay and when i re-read it cause i was singing whilst writing it, i had writtn some of the lyrics into my essay. I laughed lol.

message 22: by April (new)

April Inman (illustratergirl) | 64 comments LOL. That's the very reason why I have a hard time listening to music while reading. I end up sing to the song intsead of what I'm reading.

message 23: by Adele, Moderator (new)

i must just be the weird one.
i listened to my MP3 player today (the first time in weeks!)and i was reading. and i had to find a song that suited the book i was reading. i mean you can't listen to metallica when it's a sex scene. and same goes for barry white if it's a violent zombie killing spree...ugh all wrong!!!
what about if you were to make a movie of the book you were reading. what songs would you put to it? it amazes me how some movies that were books originally... just got it right! i'd want that job(beacause it would be cool) but i wouldn't want that job(beacuse what if i got it ALL wrong).

message 24: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) Ur not! Im werid, :P its my job :P

Lolz i can see what ya mean adele. It is kinda weird to have metallica to a sex scene, had that happen to me whilst reading, i re-started the chapter and decieded to give listening to music a miss. lolz

message 25: by Dani (new)

Dani Smith (daniquickdraw) | 7 comments I write to a soundtrack...very distinctly. But I need sweet silence while reading...not sure why! :-)

message 26: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments i need silence to do both although i imagine alot of scenes throughout the day and always sort of think of what music would go with it.

message 27: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Mar 02, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

danielle tell me about your soundtrack. do you have particular style of songs? or is it particular to a type of scene(ie: barry white for a sex scene, metallica for a battle scene etc.)

message 28: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Nicola wrote: "i need silence to do both although i imagine alot of scenes throughout the day and always sort of think of what music would go with it."

I'm Not a quiet person. the only time i'm relatively silent is when i'm in a library.
Music plays a HUGE part of my life. i have particular types of music for different situations(see msg 18 for more info)
when i'm writing lately (yes i'm slowly getting back into the swing of things). i tend to have silence, but it doesn't work for me, i usually go and put the radio on. at previous workplaces we worked better if we tuned into a radio station rather than silence.
i'm not game enough to listen to cd's quite yet, as i know how eclectic my taste is, so i'd be up after every song to change it!

message 29: by Dani (last edited Mar 05, 2011 11:37PM) (new)

Dani Smith (daniquickdraw) | 7 comments Adele wrote: "danielle tell me about your soundtrack. do you have particular style of songs? or is it particular to a type of scene(ie: barry white for a sex scene, metallica for a battle scene etc.)"

Here is the offical playlist used to write my book Black Dog And Rebel Rose:

1. ALICE IN CHAINS-- "Them Bones"
2. PUSCIFER-- "Dozo" (The official BD&RR tune, used on the book trailer)
3.) HANK WILLIAMS III--"Pistol Packin' Mother F***er"
4.) NIRVANA-- "Come As You Are"
5.) TOOL-- "Stinkfist"
6.) LED ZEPPELIN-- "Black Dog" (Naturally!)
7.) HANK WILLIAMS III--"Mary F***in' Jane"
8.) PUSCIFER-- "Vagina Mine" (love theme for BD&RR)
9.) ALICE IN CHAINS-- "Dam That River"
10.) TOOL-- "Sober"
11.) 16 HORSEPOWER-- "Scrawled in Sap"
12.) ALICE IN CHAINS-- "Godsmack"
13.) BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB-- "Weapon of Choice"
14.) BILLY TALENT-- "Devil in A Midnight Mass"
15.) THE PRETTY RECKLESS-- "You Make Me Wanna Die"
16.) BILLY IDOL--"Rebel Yell"

The love theme for the first sex scene in the book was Puscifer's "Vagina Mine". The official book trailer music is also by Puscifer, "Dozo". I loved to listen to Hank III's "Pistol Packin' Mother F*****" when working on the scenes where the hero of the tale busts out his weaponry and starts blowing vampire guts all over the walls. Just a few examples. :-)

(This list was pulled from my fanclub here on Goodreads, where it is listed in the discussion "The Write Music".)

message 30: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Wow that is fantastic!
I absolutly love it!

message 31: by Mockingjay (new)

Mockingjay | 6 comments I think a lot of people know this, but Muse for The Hunger Games series.

The Hunger Games - Resistance
Catching Fire/Mockingjay - Uprising

message 32: by Adele, Moderator (new)

yes I agree, muse. I call those particular songs, power songs. they make you feel like you can conquer several countries

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

a few of my stories have theme songs - I keep toying with putting them on my website as a for fun page

message 34: by Adele, Moderator (new)

That's really cool.