Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Oprah and gang go to Australia - but who's paying!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Have you all seen that Oprah is taking her last audience on a trip to Australia??? 300 people in total. I'd love to be able to do something like that (the giving a trip to so many people). If you could give someone a fantasy trip, who would it be for and where would you send them??

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'll go first since I started this -- I've wanted for some time to send my sister and her husband on a Gaither cruise to Alaska for one of their anniversaries. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Gaither Gospel music group, but they have cruises that are fantastic (as close to heaven as I've been here on earth).

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy I'm starting to think a trip to Alaska would be nice. Hubby likes to travel, I rather freak out going to different places ;-(

message 4: by JanetTronstad (new)

Judy -- I think you'd like Alaska.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy Not a cruise though. The last cruise we won (through Nissan where hubby works) I got where I was off balance and it lasted quite a few months. I think it was because they parked the boat in the ocean for about a day after leaving Encenada, Mexico and something about the way the boat rocked.

message 6: by JanetTronstad (new)

You could just fly up to Anchorage and take a tour of Denalli -- I haven't done that, but I'm sure it's beautiful.

message 7: by Crystal (new)

Crystal  | 24 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "I'll go first since I started this -- I've wanted for some time to send my sister and her husband on a Gaither cruise to Alaska for one of their anniversaries. I don't know how many of you are fam..."

You should go! I live near where the Gaithers first started--Alexandria, IN. They have this fabulous bookstore/recording studio/sandwich shoppe and tours go through there all the time. I have a few stories concerning them, too. :)

I think most of the time they live in Nashville, but they keep a strong connection with this area. They were playing a concert at Indiana Wesleyan University not long ago (Marion, IN.) Gloria used to teach French and is also a writer. (As well as the songs she's written.)

message 8: by Heidi (last edited Sep 15, 2010 07:45AM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments I hope this doesn't sound selfish, but I would give the trip to our little family. We don't get to take the expensive family vacations many of our other relatives and friends do. I'm glad they are blessed to get to take those vacations, but I guess I am just saying they wouldn't need one gifted to them. Don't get me wrong, we have a wonderful life, and God provides for us, but we, like most of America live paycheck to paycheck, with not a ton of wiggle room for expensive vacations.

Add me to those that would love a trip to Alaska! :) I would love for my daughter to see Alaska/Canada, and all of the places in between though. So it would be a dream come true if we got a paid road trip, where we could designate where we would like to stop in each place, with a plush SUV 4x4 rental car (for any off roading :), gas, food, hotels, pre-paid activities at each stop (determined by us :), and spending money, all provided. That would create so many wonderful memories for us all! :)

message 9: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, Heidi, I hope your family can do something like that someday! And, no, you're not selfish for wanting your family to experience soemthing like that. It sounds wonderful.

message 10: by JanetTronstad (last edited Sep 15, 2010 12:25PM) (new)

Oh, I am disappointed in Oprah (not that I'm a big fan, but this is disappointing). After making such a big to-do about giving her audience this trip, this is what I just read --

"Oprah Winfrey might have surprised her talk show audience Monday by giving them all a free, eight-day trip to Australia but the trip also surprised Australians -- with a A$3 million (US$2.8 million) bill.

Tourism Minister Martin Ferguson said the federal and state New South Wales governments would spend more than $3 million helping to bring "The Oprah Winfrey Show" to Australia as a way to boost tourism."

Now, if that isn't a bad way to do this -- don't claim credit for giving a trip when you're asking someone else to pay for it!!! What does everyone else think?

message 11: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I too would enjoy giving such a gift to my family, we are spread out in different states and see little of one another. Texas-Nebraska-Ky and Ga, I have 3 brothers and 5 sisters and it would be a joy to have us all together on a cruise that the Gaithers sponsor. I have enjoyed listening to all the folks that come on their shows and they are really talanted folks. Our family would all agree to this and have a wonderful time on a ship cruising to Alaska. My husband is a retired military man and he was stationed in Alaska in his younger days and he says it is a beautiful place to see.

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Sep 15, 2010 01:33PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Oh, I am disappointed in Oprah (not that I'm a big fan, but this is disappointing). After making such a big to-do about giving her audience this trip, this is what I just read --

"Oprah Winfrey..."

While I think it is generous of the country to foot the bill, and yes it will most certainly boost tourism, I dislike that Oprah seems to be taking all of the credit for it. I can only judge from what I read, and perhaps things are different than what they seem, but it seems as if she lead people to believe that it was coming from her shows profits, or her own pocketbook. I would have liked it better if she had given credit to the country of Australia as well. Oprah would have still gotten credit for a portion of the gift, but it would have given the credit where credit is due. That's just my two cents :)

message 13: by Heidi (last edited Sep 15, 2010 01:46PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Oh, Heidi, I hope your family can do something like that someday! And, no, you're not selfish for wanting your family to experience soemthing like that. It sounds wonderful."

Thanks for understanding Janet :) I hope we get to do it someday too. We have talked about it a lot, and hope to do it someday, on a smaller scale of course though, to fit our actual budget, not the fantasy budget ;)

message 14: by Crystal (new)

Crystal  | 24 comments I agree with Janet, Heidi, that it's not selfish to want to give your family an experience because as they say, "Charity begins at home." Good memories like that sometimes begat more generosity with kids when they grow up.

I have always thought it would be great to have a big reunion of family to stay in cabins in someplace like Tennessee or the Outerbanks or Brown County or Mackinac in MI. Someplace to gather and enjoy something together. Of course, you want to be together, and I think heaven will be like that.

Oprah is such a business woman. I don't think anything she does is "off the cuff." She has to continue her popularity somehow, right? :)

message 15: by Ausjenny (last edited Sep 15, 2010 04:02PM) (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Ok from an aussie point of view we paid a similar fee for Tiger Woods last year (victoria did) and it brought in about $34 million
So while it may sound alot the exposure for Australia and the money spent by everyone will be worth way more. Oprah is way more influential than tiger woods.
Most of the money pays for accommodation but she will still be contributing some to it.
The tourism group have been working with her for about a year they said and more so in the past 6 months.
This will be worth much more in publicity than what they spend on the tourism campaigns and will be a huge boast to Australia and parts of the country like the far north of Queensland which is suffering at the moment. There is bound to be a press contingent that will come out and there will be other people so it will be a huge boast to australia.
In many ways this publicity you cant buy.

message 16: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments now who would I take on a fantasy trip Not really sure but I think I would bring my friend Sheri out to Australia to show her some of my country for her birthday this month.

The other fantasy trip would go to Cheryl Wyatt so she could come to australia and watch a game of cricket with me.

message 17: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny -- well, it makes me feel better if the Australians feel they are getting something for their money. It's just the way she announced it on her show, it sounded like it was a gift from her. It would have been nice if she had said the Australians were paying part of it.

I can only imagine how much fun you would have with those friends visiting. Maybe they should hook up with Oprah.

message 18: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments If the truth be told alot of her gifts would be provided at a reduced fee to her. everyone knows if oprah endorses something its advertising money cant buy.
I guess she did say it was in connection with the australian and New South Wales tourist commission. But I would say she will probably pay for some stuff.

it would be cool. You should hear the buzz over hear about Oprah coming. its huge. While alot thought paying to bring Tiger Woods was a mistake it did bring alot of money to Victoria, I think the general consensus is Oprah visit is well worth it. Tigers visit was the beginning of his downfall and didn't have carry on benifits Oprahs visit will have alot of carry on benefits

message 19: by JanetTronstad (new)

Well, good then. I've forgiven her :)) You'll have to let us know all about it when it happens!

message 20: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments I wont see her but it would be cool! seems the people coming are going to different parts of australia. for the tickets to see her at her show they are doing a lottery. you put you name down and 3000 will be drawn.
it would be interesting.

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Ok from an aussie point of view we paid a similar fee for Tiger Woods last year (victoria did) and it brought in about $34 million
So while it may sound alot the exposure for Australia and the mon..."

Thanks for explaining it from an Australian's point of view Jenny. It makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing :)

message 22: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Crystal Laine wrote: "I agree with Janet, Heidi, that it's not selfish to want to give your family an experience because as they say, "Charity begins at home." Good memories like that sometimes begat more generosity wit..."

Thanks Crystal, and I agree, those memories could indeed cause more generosity in the end :) I love your idea of a family reunion, and staying in cabins for it. I have always wanted to visit the south, and see those beautiful old mansions. Perhaps that should be another road trip we take one of these days :)

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I agree with the others, you aren't selfish Heidi! It would be a great gift to your family. I hope you do get to do something like that.

As for Oprah claiming it from her, everyone knows her name sells things, so she really isn't paying for most of it. Even if she does come off as the one who is giving the big payout!

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I don't know who i would give the gift to; i will have to think on it.

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Jennifer wrote: "I agree with the others, you aren't selfish Heidi! It would be a great gift to your family. I hope you do get to do something like that.

As for Oprah claiming it from her, everyone knows her na..."

Thanks Jennifer :) I really hope we get to do the trip someday too :)

message 26: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Hmm, since I am thinking fantasy here, I would like an empty cruise ship, and invite all the people who mean something to me, and their families, to join me and my family on the cruise of all cruises! (That means all you guys would be there. :) I love the Caribbean, so I'd take everyone there, but on the 10 day. :)

message 27: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Oh cool make sure its not hurricane season!

message 28: by JanetTronstad (new)

Melody -- thanks for bringing us along. I'll be there!

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Oh cool make sure its not hurricane season!"

Then don't go Aug-Oct. :D Peak season right now. Hoping they don't come my way this year.

message 30: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments I think April would be a nice time to go there.

message 31: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Of course Janet!! :)
Never in hurricane season, that would ruin everything. :) April was fantastic time to go... So is January... I love getting away from cold and snowy Utah in January!

message 32: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Jan suits me too its summer here but its always nice to go for a break.

Im actually thinking of going to Hawaii I dont have the money but may go anyway! Ok I do have a bit. I normally go to the cricket and this year I cant afford the accommodation but may be able to afford it in hawaii.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Jan suits me too its summer here but its always nice to go for a break.

Im actually thinking of going to Hawaii I dont have the money but may go anyway! Ok I do have a bit. I normally go to the cr..."

Take me with you!!! lol

message 34: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments sure want to come in Jan? thats when I want to go

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments If only I could! Darn work and school! lol

message 36: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Thats why i want to go to have a break over the semester
this semester has been so full on. we have 2 weeks break now but I have to do work right through it.

message 37: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Oprah is In australia at present and its huge. there will now be 4 shows now and will be huge for my country.
Harpo spent money here hiring people and it seems around 7 million was spent by Hapro. The 3 million we spent is already be reaped back.
They were saying a campaign for advertising costs that much to make without cost of actually paying for airtime.
the hype here has been so big and benefit will happen when the shows go to air in January. This will do wonders for us.