My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

The Bible > Theological Documents

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
So......how should we hold theological documents in today's world? Should we value one more then another? What makes them different then other documents? What do you think of the Quaran or the Torah?

message 2: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments ...with great respect for their content and for the ones who wrote them. Comparative value is such a tricky concept and really should only be considered within each faith tradition and not across faith traditions. I would include all sacred documents in this, not just theological ones.

message 3: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments I completely agree with Angus; however, we should also view them with a critical eye.

message 4: by Micah (new)

Micah (multivoxmuse) | 48 comments Why can't we look objectively at all religious texts and judge for ourselves the good things in them and the bad things in them? There is no need to only consider them within the context of each faith.

For example:
Bible - Deuteronomy 21:18 - stone your rebellious son.

Koran - "Be good to parents, relatives, orphans, and the needy. Speak kindly and pay the poor-due"

There are qualitatively good values and bad values in all religious books. We should know the whole story.

message 5: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments I agree...

message 6: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 165 comments I think it doesn't matter what kind of theory you believe in, as long as you don't force others into your own belief.

message 7: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Or hurt anybody because your belief dictates it. :/

message 8: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Claere wrote: "I think it doesn't matter what kind of theory you believe in, as long as you don't force others into your own belief."

I absolutely agree. PS Welcome to the group

message 9: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 165 comments Thank you.