My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

31 views
Issues > Judgments on the LGBT Community.

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
If you don't know, LGBT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender....now I am not afraid to show my support for gay marriage however what do you think on the judgments and hate that the LGBT has to go through????


message 2: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider I don't like it, but we can't stop it.

It is as simple as that.


message 3: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
why don't you like it?


message 4: by Starr (new)

Starr | 5 comments My thought is we can temper hatred and judgemental attitudes against LGBT by being compassionate and empathetic. What I mean by that is whether you consider yourself a lesbian, transexual, or straight and sexually confused, you deserve to have a safe, compassionate, non-judgmental environment to explore who you are, and not who you are TOLD you are.


message 5: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Wow I like that :-) But what are you feeling towards the people who place these judgments on them.


message 6: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider I know some people that are LGBT and most are great people. Just because you like someone does not mean you like there actions.


message 7: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Well what is wrong with there actions?


message 8: by Dragonrider (last edited Sep 20, 2010 07:04PM) (new)

Dragonrider I believe that marriage is a bond between man and women.

Also none of my business but same sex leads to more STDs than regular sex.


message 9: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Oh okay it is just what you believe....okay


Yeah it isn't any of your business.....and okay sure just tell everyone it is illegal to be gay to stop STDs.


message 10: by Starr (new)

Starr | 5 comments Judgements are usually made out of fear or hatred (at least in my experience). Judging someone who is judging just reinforces the idea that cruel judgements are okay. Judgements make assumptions that stereotype an idea or person, etc.. (ex: the house is ugly. People define "ugly" in different ways and the judgment assumes that all houses that look that way are ugly.). Why not ask what a person's definition of "ugly" is? In other words, help them define and understand their feelings so they can figure out why they feel they need to judge.


message 11: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
okay...I beginning to think anything you say is going to be a little puzzle ;-)


message 12: by Starr (new)

Starr | 5 comments Another thought, I was reading about how sexual compulsivity is born out of a need to feel connected. Also, this author made the point that STDs are a way of helping society grow or learn from these compulsions ("learn" doesn't mean punish). To me, sexual addiction, promiscuity and seeking fulfillment outside of yourself through sex has lead to STDs, not just the criteria of being gay.


message 13: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Wow.......YAY!!!! lol..........now lets move on to other topics ;-)


message 14: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Starr wrote: "Another thought, I was reading about how sexual compulsivity is born out of a need to feel connected. Also, this author made the point that STDs are a way of helping society grow or learn from thes..."

True. It's a root problem with our culture...searching for relevance in fragile human relationships.


message 15: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
well their is relevance in relationships.


message 16: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Yes, but the most important relationship one can have is with God.


message 17: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
and that makes relationships with other people useless?


message 18: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) No! You just can't "find yourself" in them. When your relationship is right with God, all your other relationships get into perspective. I'm not saying they'll all be perfect, but they will be smoother.


message 19: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
okay......


message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments I don't hate people for being gay - but I believe it is a sin. God created marriage for a husband and wife, a bond that shows the union of Christ to His church. If marriage was something humans made up, it would be fine to do whatever you want with it; but as it is, "gays" are not part of God's original creation. Homosexuality came into the world along with all the rest of sin.

Is this being judgmental? It's not my opinion. This is what God's word says.


message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments Sandy wrote: "I don't hate people for being gay - but I believe it is a sin. God created marriage for a husband and wife, a bond that shows the union of Christ to His church. If marriage was something humans mad..."

I agree.


message 22: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Sandy wrote: "I don't hate people for being gay - but I believe it is a sin. God created marriage for a husband and wife, a bond that shows the union of Christ to His church. If marriage was something humans mad..."

Sure okay...how many gays do you know? Because I guarantee you if you spent enough time with them you would realize that it isn't a choice they make. And why would someone choose to be something that is looked down upon, hated for, and is illegal in some countries?


And what gives you the right to tell people how to live their lives?


message 23: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Sandy wrote: "I don't hate people for being gay - but I believe it is a sin. God created marriage for a husband and wife, a bond that shows the union of Christ to His church. If marriage was something humans mad..."

O yes because God told everyone to hate these kind of people. Maybe it was the person who wrote it who added their own idiotic opinions to it?


message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments Actually God does not tell us to hate anyone. God tells us even to love our enemies. Those that do show great hatred toward gay people are wrong. This, however, does not mean that being gay is all right. It's a sin, just like gluttony or procrastination or complaining are sins. But while we should hate the sin, we should not hate the person.


message 25: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
sure okay...so is it a "sin" (it's called nature) for you to love a guy?


message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments Not if you're a girl, no.


message 27: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
So why is it different for a man? And please don't give me a Bible verse....I mean a REAL reason based on logical concepts.


message 28: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider This is theology right?


message 29: by Sandy (last edited Sep 21, 2010 05:03PM) (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "And what gives you the right to tell people how to live their lives?"

I don't have the right. But God created the whole WORLD, so if you don't think that gives Him the right to regulate it, then nothing does. Like I said, this isn't MY opinion.

Girl4beluga wrote: "So why is it different for a man? And please don't give me a Bible verse....I mean a REAL reason based on logical concepts."

How I know: it says so in God's word, which should be enough for Christians. But since that doesn't mean a thing to you, I'll be what you call "logical." In another discussion, you said, "Biology states that we are sexual creatures." (that might not be an exact quote) In that case, does it make ANY sense at all that a man should marry a man?


message 30: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "sure okay...so is it a "sin" (it's called nature) for you to love a guy?"

Actually a lot of our nature IS sinful.


message 31: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Sandy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "sure okay...so is it a "sin" (it's called nature) for you to love a guy?"

Actually a lot of our nature IS sinful."


I don't know how I feel on the concept of sin...I think I lean toward natural instinct on some of it.....


message 32: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 104 comments Yes, because we are all born sinful.


message 33: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Sandy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "And what gives you the right to tell people how to live their lives?"

I don't have the right. But God created the whole WORLD, so if you don't think that gives Him the right to..."



God's Word would be enough for me....I just don't think the Bible is his EXACT word...

Because there is no reason for them not to marry...they are of the same species. Love is love why does gender matter?


message 34: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Dragonrider wrote: "This is theology right?"

a theological discussion group? It is borderline but yes


message 35: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Sandy wrote: "Yes, because we are all born sinful."

maybe it is just survival? But as I have said I don't know how I feel about this yet.....I am still pondering


message 36: by Starr (new)

Starr | 5 comments Wow, I was just reading a book that was talking about how the interpretation of the bible is colored by the perceptions of those who were translating and writing it all down. So, people's limited views about what comprises a family or what's acceptable sexually actually colored the interpretation of the bible and in some cases changed the meaning of certain passages. It makes you wonder....


message 37: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
OMG YES!!!! I wish I could say it like that. And if you look at Ancient Greece and how they treated their sexuality. I can't decide if things would be better off or worse......if we inherited how they viewed sex.


message 38: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Or Ancient Egypt for that matter


message 39: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Starr wrote: "Wow, I was just reading a book that was talking about how the interpretation of the bible is colored by the perceptions of those who were translating and writing it all down. So, people's limited v..."

What do you mean? How do you interpret Romans 2?


message 40: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
Which verse exactly?

If Harry Potter said that it was written from an all knowing all powerful wizard would you believe him; considering we know who the original author is anyway?


message 41: by Laura (last edited Sep 22, 2010 09:37AM) (new)

Laura | 50 comments I'm confused - are you comparing God to an all knowing all powerful wizard? He's a holy God. He doesn't use magic or something. And why would we believe Harry Potter on something . . . he's not God . . . ? I'm sorry, but I don't really understand how the Harry Potter comment is relevant to what's being talked about.


message 42: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
The only reason you believe the Bible is written by God is because it says so.....I was using Harry Potter as an analogy.


message 43: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments many Christians make the argument that because gays can't procreate they are useless, well a lot of things are useless, tabacco, soda, haircuts, and christmas lights


message 44: by Nicky Lin (new)

Nicky Lin (jambandchick) | 13 comments One thing I never understood with this gay marriage is wrong issue ( and also just being gay in itself) that most Christian churches preach, is they always go back to it being a sin and that the bible says it's a sin...yet they also ( most) say that there is no degree of sin and that everyone sins and that is why Jesus died on the cross...and yet another point is that it is a sin to judge others and have hatred in our hearts...so if a church was to condemn someone because they are gay, are they not themselves "sinning"....every single person in those pews have sin " those without sin cast the first stone".... So how is it that forgiveness can be found ( in the churches eyes) for someone other than a person who is gay...and yet a third point, back when the early Christian church was starting a reason that the masses flocked to it in the first place was because people were getting so caught up in the laws and what was right and wrong within the old church ( old testament) and wasn't it Jesus himself that said that the main law that we should concern ourselves with is to " love God above above all things and to love our neighbor as ourself "? People need to start looking at others with love instead of hate or condemnation.


message 45: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
yay!! I can agree however sadly the Church has always been hypocritical and has always read what they like into the scripture.....from the Romans, to the Crusades, then to the witch burnings, and modern day. It is rather disgusting in my mind which is why I have decided not to get confirmed into the Church. Maybe one day the Emerging Church might become a significant player but not for a long time.


message 46: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Sims (NuWinePress) | 3 comments Hi, my name is Aimee Sims, I have a small publishing company called NuWine Press, we're about to launch our first book. The aim of our publishing company is to be The All-Inclusive, Gay Affrming Voice in Independent Christian Publishing. We held a poetry contest and We're hoping to release our book in June. I am gay, although I'm not crazy about labels either. I didn't intend to be "gay" I just happened to fall in love with a woman, and we've been together for 15 years by the grace of God. I think Christianity should be a safe space for all believers - Whosoever believeth in Him - right? I have learned to be proud of who I am, and I look forward to sharing our literary adventures with you guys - feel free to check out our website: www.nuwinepress.com


back to top