My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

The Bible > Should the Bible be taught in schools?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 306 (306 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Girl4beluga | 2285 comments Mod
I personally think that the Bible can be taught in schools as literature just like Romeo and Juliet or Antigone. It is after all a collection of stories that features a variety of literary skills.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments The Bible is not just a collection of stories. It's not just some literary work. It is the Word of God.

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Well most don't believe it...Okay sorry if I'm going off subject but at school I've met an apparent fellow Christian and she started taking God's name in vain. Sorry but that is a shock for me...I'm not saying that Christians are perfect I'm saying that I never would have thought they would be cursing with His name.

message 4: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Well if you subscribe to an absoulte truth concept of the Bible that is your business it doesn't how absurd it is.

And yes there are different ways to read the Bible you can take it literally as literature.....you can take it literal as an historical event through the eyes of the person telling the story. You can read it as devotional reading where you can take it literally and metaphorically at the same time...but when you start thinking it is the absolute truth you start running into huge problems. One of the books I am reading on the matter is the Fidelity of Betrayal

message 5: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments God's Swordmaiden wrote: "Well most don't believe it...Okay sorry if I'm going off subject but at school I've met an apparent fellow Christian and she started taking God's name in vain. Sorry but that is a shock for me...I'..."

His?

message 6: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "Well if you subscribe to an absoulte truth concept of the Bible that is your business it doesn't how absurd it is.

And yes there are different ways to read the Bible you can take it literally as l..."

I would agree that there are many different ways to read the Bible, and many ways to teach with and from the Bible. I also think there is absolute truth in the Bible - perhaps more truth than any of us, even the most devout Jew or Christian can imagine.

message 7: by Angus (new)

Angus | 28 comments In answer to the topic at hand - yes, but not compulsory. It should be an elective and taught by people who know more than the average bear.

message 8: by Starr (new)

Starr | 5 comments Parents have the decision to send their children to schools that teach their religion. There is also Sunday at church. Pray to God to pass a test or read the bible on your lunch hour, but be tolerant when people pray differently or believe differently. Teaching the bible in schools assumes that there is only one religion that matters, or is worthy of teaching. To me, the devil is in the details and if we squabble of which version of GOD's word to believe we are setting ourselves up for a war that forgets the initial purpose of teaching the bible: God's love.

message 9: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider Starr wrote: "Parents have the decision to send their children to schools that teach their religion. There is also Sunday at church. Pray to God to pass a test or read the bible on your lunch hour, but be tolera..."

I agree.

message 10: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Starr wrote: "Parents have the decision to send their children to schools that teach their religion. There is also Sunday at church. Pray to God to pass a test or read the bible on your lunch hour, but be tolera..."

hmmm that is interesting...but what about "teaching" it as (as I said) literature? Like Romeo and Juliet.....But I will say the one place it doesn't belong it health class.

message 11: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider Health class?

message 12: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

O more specifically? Abstinence only health classes.

message 13: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider What is wrong with Abstinence?

message 14: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

nothing...if that your deal..Great! But I am talking about "Abstinence only health classes".

message 15: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "O more specifically? Abstinence only health classes."

*sighs*

message 16: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Dragonrider wrote: "Starr wrote: "Parents have the decision to send their children to schools that teach their religion. There is also Sunday at church. Pray to God to pass a test or read the bible on your lunch hour,..."

Me too!

message 17: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "O more specifically? Abstinence only health classes."

*sighs*"

what?

message 18: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "Pansy wrote: "Girl4beluga wrote: "O more specifically? Abstinence only health classes."

*sighs*"

what?"

*sighs louder*

message 19: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

lol yeah that's how I feel on the subject

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "I personally think that the Bible can be taught in schools as literature just like Romeo and Juliet or Antigone. It is after all a collection of stories that features a variety of literary skills."

I realise that the Bible is known to Christians as the Word of God, but I don't think it should be taught as that, as I think people should make their own choices, and not be forced into something at a young age.

message 21: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

I agree....completed (well other then the Word of God thing) but what do you think about it in Literature...as in using it like Romeo and Juliet.

message 22: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do Its kind of odd, I watched a history video about our founding fathers and the school system, In the old days, they would never think about taking the bible out of school, even the first book taught to students had verses from the bible. But now things have changed a ton.

message 23: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

yes.....for the best I think....And the first schools were put on by the church so they would of course have scripture in.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "I agree....completed (well other then the Word of God thing) but what do you think about it in Literature...as in using it like Romeo and Juliet."

No, I don't think so. It would just offend Christians and bore atheists. I think it should be taught in Religious Studies, but not as the absolute truth, as that again, would offend other religious people and bore atheists.

message 25: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

I agree....it should be voluntary. And it wouldn't bore atheists it would just give them something to giggle about

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "I agree....it should be voluntary. And it wouldn't bore atheists it would just give them something to giggle about"

It would bore them. I have experience.

message 27: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

well it sometimes bores me ;-)

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments Exactly.

What is your point? Are you an atheist?? Do you have atheist views? I'm sure you're just contradicting your point above..

message 29: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

I'm not an atheist.......and I am not contradicting anything.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments And it wouldn't bore atheists it would just give them something to giggle about

YOU ARE AGREEING WITH MY POINT WHICH IS DIFFERENT TO YOURS!!! *sighs*

message 31: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

I'm not an atheist.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments I KNOW. read above

And it wouldn't bore atheists it would just give them something to giggle about

message 33: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

and................................

message 34: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do and that is kind of implying that your a atheist

message 35: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

how?

message 36: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do hold on, on nvm, I am confused and tiered, sorry my bad.

message 37: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

okay???

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura | 50 comments G4B, I think what he was trying to get across was that if you're saying something that bores atheists bores you too it's like saying you agree with them or are one of them. Correct me if that's not what you were saying, N.S.A. ;)

message 39: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Just because I have common ground with atheists doesn't make me an atheist. And I said they would laugh at most of it. And yes parts of it does bore me.

message 40: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do Raven wrote: "G4B, I think what he was trying to get across was that if you're saying something that bores atheists bores you too it's like saying you agree with them or are one of them. Correct me if that's not..."

yep

message 41: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Girl4beluga wrote: "Just because I have common ground with atheists doesn't make me an atheist. And I said they would laugh at most of it. And yes parts of it does bore me."

We know that, G4B. But Christians aren't known for laughing at the Bible.

message 42: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

I would only laugh if my teacher were teaching it as the absolute truth.

message 43: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) You could laugh at the person's way of teaching it, then -- we're all flawed beings, after all -- but don't you agree it's irreverant to laugh at the Bible?

message 44: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

IDK there are parts that are "humerus" to a pessimist.

message 45: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) I can see that. There are parts that are humorous to me. But I don't laugh at what the Bible says, as in, I don't make fun of it, which appears to be one of your favorite pastimes.

message 46: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

only when taken as science or history

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "I would only laugh if my teacher were teaching it as the absolute truth."

Well, if he/she was a Christian, wouldn't he teach it as that? You know, it's difficult to teach something you believe in as not the absolute truth.

message 48: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) I agree, Chiara. You can teach it as the truth without pushing it on people, you know.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments Pansy wrote: "I agree, Chiara. You can teach it as the truth without pushing it on people, you know."

(are you saying that to me, or to g4b?)

message 50: by Girl4beluga, Beet Juice!!! (new)

Pansy wrote: "I agree, Chiara. You can teach it as the truth without pushing it on people, you know."

not really

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7