Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

General Chit Chat > Movies/TV shows vs Books

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
It seems these days they have run out of ideas for Movies and/or TV shows. More and more they are basing things on books. Majority of the time the book is way better. I want to know which ones(Movies, TV Shows Or just the Book),YOU Think have it right and which ones have it wrong. I also would like some recommendations.

message 2: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments i read the twilight books before the movies and loved them. Edward came over as smouldering in the books and really sexy for an young adult book which is why i think it appealed to to so many people. The films were good, not as good as the books i thought. I didnt even go see the last film at the cinema. I find myself steering towards jacob.

True blood has to be the best to date, i love the books and the TV show.

interview with a vampire was the first vamp film i watched and when i read the book i found i was really disapointed and Anne Rice isnt my Favorite author. i find she goes way over the top with detail which i find boring.

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) I was really disappointed with the twilight films as i loved the books, i still go to see them just coz once i start watching movies which are a series i always have to finish watching it. This is not a vampire or fantasy book but i love the film adaptations of nicholas sparks books as they always get the story right and usually the characters are exactly how i pictured them when reading the books. I love Nicholas Sparks books as they are so touching and are amazing love stories and the films are amazing too and never disappoint me.

message 4: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments cool those are ones to look out for,

message 5: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Kayleigh-Marie wrote: "I was really disappointed with the twilight films as i loved the books, i still go to see them just coz once i start watching movies which are a series i always have to finish watching it. This is ..."

I completely agree about the twilight films Great separately, but i was disapointed with how they turned out. i have to Eragon was a complete dissapointment, great if you haven't read the book not so much if you have , as they missed VITAL bits of the story.

True blood is great but they are BASED on the books. loosly based i'd say. I mean they have done an awesome job with it(same for twilight) but it's just not right.

I haven't read anything by nichoolas sparks. i must do that.

I loved jurasic park and the book(they misssed out a few bits but that would have made it too gory)

I loved the Lord of the rings Movies better than the books. and Harry potter Got it Spot on i think,the movie was just like the book.

message 6: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments you're def right with harry potter. I read the lord of the rings and it was bloody hard work! movies were fab, mainy because aragon is soooo hot :d

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) I love true blood and i have only read the first book. i have all the others and i will read them at some point. I love vampire diaries both books and tv show. the show is different from the books but i love the fact that it's different so i'm always surprised at the ways they've changed the storylines.

Nicholas Sparks books are great for any hopeless romantics like me but they are incredibly sad and i always end up in tears.

I love the Harry Potter films and sometimes like them a little better than the books coz once i got part way through the series i think the books were a little hectic and were too long.

I love Eragon the movie but i haven't read the book. i don't know if i want to because i really like the movie and i don't want to read the book if i'm not gonna like the movie as much.

message 8: by Adele, Moderator (new)

don't let me turn you off the book. the book was really good. my boyfriend has never read the book so i explained to him what he missed out. it just didn't make sense because i read the book(i knew bits were missing).
What others are there though?

i haven't watched vampire diaries, it is too different from the books, it got me confused!

i'm seeing the sourcerers apprentice on the weekend... i'll let you know how i go!(i just have to read the book after seeing it)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) The vampire diaries is quite different from the books and they changed quite a lot but i dnt mind coz i like the fact that i dnt no wots going to happen. the only thing that annoys me is that they took some characers out and added new ones in. i still love both the books and the tv series tho. probably coz ian somorholder is in it. ;D

message 10: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) I was really sad with the out come of the movies for twilight as well.And i love Vampire Diaries. Both Tv and Books.

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) i still like the twilight movies and will still go c them and the actors have grew on me since the first movie but i still think they could have done it so much better. books are way better. especially edward. have u seen the kissing scene??? i cnt even watch that coz it's so awkward. he looks so awkward like he doesn't know what to do. edward is supposed to b graceful. but he has grown on me as more of the films came out.

message 12: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) Yeah. I think she should have gotten a more...experienced director...i hope they do that for the mortal instruments movie

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) cnt wait i'm in england so i haven't seen any of the vampire diaries season 2 and its coming on tv in 2 weeks. i've got the first season o dvd so i'm gonna watch it again coz by the time i've watched them all again season 2 will b coming on YEY

message 14: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments i havent watched the 3rd one yet, it kills me that i prefere a werewolf over a vamp lol!

message 15: by April (new)

April Inman (illustratergirl) | 64 comments I agree. Books are so much better but I loved the movies> Haven't seen the Eclipse yet and I'm going nuts! LOL.

Nicola. I've got a werewolf story for you that you should check out. My Niece is writing a story about werewolfs on www.wattpad.com and it's pretty good.The story's Called "Howling at the Moon'. My Niece's sreenname is sahpireskies.

message 16: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) I havn't seen it yet either! And im dying!!!!!!!

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) I'll check it out now :D

message 18: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments hi mj i know you really want poeple to read your work huni but it needs to be kept to the appropriate thread. xx

message 19: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) Sorry >.< I really am...

message 20: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments no bother babes dont worry

message 21: by girlpower12121 (new)

girlpower12121 (caanna) thanks xox

message 22: by Adele, Moderator (new)

I saw the sorcerer’s apprentice the other day..... I loved it. Now I don't know if I want to read the books. And I also saw tomorrow when the war began, and I’m pleased with that translation onto film, the only thing that bugged me was that the invaders in the book were just that... invaders, there was no nationality or anything put to them. But in the movie they were clearly Asian, and I don't like it. Unfortunately it has fallen victim to the evil bad man Asian stereotype. If I was of Asian descent I would be so pissed right now, I'm not and I'm still pissed... oh well.

message 23: by Pj (new)

Pj | 11 comments Watched Vampires suck today. That's 1h 17m i wont get back. It's complete and utter rubbish and is on par with the awful Twilight films it parody's.
If reviewing this film I'd give it a big fat 0/10 :(

message 24: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 225 comments OMG, THAT FILM WAS SHIT!!!!!! (sorry the caps were nesessary)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) omg i watched it the other week coz my friend wanted 2 watch it, i was so bored, its the worst film i have ever seen in my life.
it wasn't even funny.
oh sorry i laughed like once, when jacob turned into a chihuahua
my friend was laughing all the way thru and i was sat there going can i put the social network on now so i can drool at andrew garfield lol

message 26: by Justine (new)

Justine Saulnier (goodreadscombookworm247) | 46 comments i dont even know why they had that movie made it sounds retarted

message 27: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
OK! I saw The Mortal Instruments City of Bones. Has anyone else seen this movie AND read the books? I personally was distraught that they took such a great idea in plot and story design (for a YA based on a lot of characters) and basically butchered it! They seemed to mash three books into 1 movie... but left out NECESSARY plot points and left certain things completely out. One example, the Vampire Raphael (I think that was his name)... He wasn't even IN the movie.. but he plays a MAIN part in a few of the books... And they basically just crammed the Vamp part in, but where as in the book, it had a point... In the movie there was no point...

I am learning, very quickly, that I NEVER want to a see a movie based on a book I wrote. I am not terrified of Vampire Academy and Fallen. If they can tear apart, spit on, chew, and then upchuck the plot and points of the book to make $$ for a movie... Then why should I waste my time? Beautiful Creatures... that was an ok one... but the climactic ending was destroyed and they should have stuck with the proper plot climax... Though they did leave it open for a possible sequel just like the book did.... but the ending felt off, but decent. TMI just... My poor husband... He has seen AL: VH and I complained the ENTIRE TIME... I also demanded a refund... and now with TMI... I am SO GLAD I did NOT buy it, I only Redboxxed it. I STILL want a refund... and I got it for free!

Anyone else have an opinion on the TMI movie???

message 28: by Adele, Moderator (new)

I haven't seen the TMI movie yet.
i'm not too sure if I want to.
I'm also quite apprehensive about the VA movie too.
I like to read the book if I found out a movie was based on it. but its different when you already know (and love )the book.
Its somehow more personal..like an insult or something. compared to, haven't reading the book and then reading it later.

message 29: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Adele wrote: "I haven't seen the TMI movie yet.
i'm not too sure if I want to.
I'm also quite apprehensive about the VA movie too.
I like to read the book if I found out a movie was based on it. but its differ..."

I have had people tell me the TMI movie came extremely close to the book, but I can't help but point out what was wrong. Now I am very scared of VA movie because I heard the movie is like a mix of 3 books.. Which is rather scary...

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

The VA movie...I want it so bad, but it's suffering from the same marketing stupidness that killed TMI. Dear paranormal movie marketers: here's more out there than Twilight. I promise. We've already had Twilight, which, gonna be honest, I don't understand a lot of the hate. The movies were silly, but I couldn't put the books down.

message 31: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

OK! I saw Vampire Academy last night!! Has anyone else? I have one thing to say... It stuck pretty damn close to the book!!! It was a great movie and I LOVED who played Rose. At first Dmitri was NOTHING like I expected.. but over the course of the movie he grew on me and I thought everyone was the PERFECT fit! Good movie, good adaptation of the book... It was great!

Has anyone else seen it?

message 32: by Adele, Moderator (new)

we have two more weeks till it is released Australia

message 33: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Adele wrote: "we have two more weeks till it is released Australia"

See it! So worth it!

message 34: by Adele, Moderator (new)

OK i will