The Order of the Golden Rose The Order of the Golden Rose discussion

mixing genres in erotica

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivy Van de Vende R.Paul Sardanas' book, "The Order of the Golden Rose," is classified as an erotic underworld novel. I found it to be much more than erotica. For one thing, the writing and plotting is so much better than one generally finds in erotica. Sardanas' book has been called a cross between Dan Brown and Wide Eyes Shut and I think the comparison is apt. Certainly his writing is reminiscent of Dan Brown and the plotting nearly as intricate. I think Sardanas could write a best seller as easily as Brown did. Anyway, I've not talked much about mixing genres. I think this book defies labeling - is it a thriller - yes, a mystery - yes, erotica - of course. How would you label it?
I can't wait to see what else Sardanas comes up with in his Sibohan Bishop Erotic Underworld Series!

message 2: by R. (new)

R. Sardanas Ivy, thank you for your thoughts on "The Order of the Golden Rose". In many ways you describe exactly what I hoped to achieve with the book. A book that is labeled erotica (that is, having a graphic sexual element to a story) may cause some readers to shy away, thinking that nothing resembling a story will be found within. I hope that if I achieve anything with the Siobhan Bishop books, it is to dispel that notion. The story comes first and foremost, and yes, I enjoyed filling it with a fascinating mystical puzzle, as well as classical elements, like the background presence of the intense, passionate opera "Pagliacci", and the unfolding of a mystery concerning the "Emerald Necklace" parks and wilderness areas of Boston. My hope is that strong and intelligent plotting and characters whose emotions and thoughts are explored along with their sensuality, may attract lovers of reading from many genres. I am so glad you enjoyed the book, and I hope you will continue to enjoy the books in the series to follow. Each will, I promise, continue to defy genre, and turn preconceived notions of erotica on their heads. Passion for the body, yes...and for the mind as well.

my best to you,
R. Paul

message 3: by Ivy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivy Van de Vende R. wrote: "Ivy, thank you for your thoughts on "The Order of the Golden Rose". In many ways you describe exactly what I hoped to achieve with the book. A book that is labeled erotica (that is, having a graphi..."

R. wrote: "Ivy, thank you for your thoughts on "The Order of the Golden Rose". In many ways you describe exactly what I hoped to achieve with the book. A book that is labeled erotica (that is, having a graphi..."

can't wait to see what you come up with. I literally couldn't put "The Order of the Golden Rose" down - except for some breaks for heavy breaathing - so I'm awaiting your new books with relish.

message 4: by R. (last edited Sep 15, 2010 05:14AM) (new)

R. Sardanas Thanks again, Ivy. Regarding the opportunity to "break the mold" a bit and bend genres with my approach to the erotic novel, I have to say that my publisher, PIP Press (and my editors, Tess MacKall and Laura Garland) have been remarkably open to my pushing the boundaries of storytelling. It's true all the more in the second book of the Siobhan Bishop series, "The Blood Jaguar". In that story I take on the concept of vampires (an immensely popular genre these days, but one in danger of going stale through being done to death). So when I approached the book,I determined to present it in a way wholly new -- consciously turning the mythic elements of that genre into new directions. I started by placing the story in Florida (the vamps in "The Blood Jaguar" love the sun...)making them very sensual and alive (not undead at all), giving them a history that reaches back into ancient Aztec culture, and then lacing the story with characters like a Catholic woman who falls for a married vampire, a teenage prostitute vampire who is an intelligent nihilist with a social revolutionary vampire boyfriend, and two sisters who are pimps, one brutal, one gentle...and it's the sun-loving, life-living vamps that the gentle one turns to to break away from her sordid lifestyle. Needless to say, we're not in Vampire-Kansas anymore, toto. The point is, all of this literate fun and outlaw genre bending can happen in a book categorized with one of the most ostracized labels of all...erotica. And just wait till the third book in the series, when I take on Lilith, as well as religion in general...

Kristaline Shanon "The Order of the Golden Rose" by R. Paul Sardanas is so much more than Erotica, although the sensual scenes are the best I have ever read the story line behind it all is also some of the best reading ever.
So excellent is the human approach to mysticism and those who live their lives in those shoes.
As the book has been circulating among my family and friends I hear the same thing over and over again, who is this guy and when is the next book coming out?
I cannot wait to tell them all that the next one is about vampires of the real kind, not some old world beliefs that have been done to death.
Wherever R. Paul Sardanas lays his hands golden words seem to appear for all the rest of us to savor.
Count me in for as many Siobhan books as he can create.

message 6: by R. (last edited Sep 15, 2010 10:06AM) (new)

R. Sardanas Thank you, Kristaline. The human element that you talk about has always been what has interested me most in creating characters and stories, whether they be in poetry or in novels. Mysticism in literature seems rarely to me to be brought down to that everyday human connection and immediacy...so much fiction that explores occult realms and ideas involves things like conspiracies to take over the world, or to wipe out the human race...for me, it's fascinating to take the concepts down to a much more accessible place. So my mystics in "The Order of the Golden Rose" are looking for things like love, fulfillment, chasing after their personal obsessions (or in some cases just enjoying themselves)...and in the upcoming "The Blood Jaguar",the vampires are much more like the people I can see in the street, wanting satisfying love and sex in their lives...looking to make money...trying to grasp and understand their own notions about faith. Each individual with different approaches, desires and needs, as in life. So instead of pure fantasy, the books can explore fascinating subcultures amd people, from street level on up. What happens then is a book can cross or transcend genre, as we've discussed above. It can still be a fun and exciting read, but one that is about people...and the sexual content becomes integrated with the mind and soul, rather than just the body.