Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Night Chills
This topic is about Night Chills
Stand Alone Novels 1968-1979 > Night Chills (Group Read - October 2010)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 202 comments Looks like a good pick for October - post here when you start reading. Cheers.

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) Well I'm 2 for 2! Nominated Dragon tears last month and it won... nominated Night Chills for Oct and it won... Hmmm... what can I get everyone to read for November?!?

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 118 comments Kd - Did Koontz ever write a novel about food? I'd nominate that one...it looks like a big Pastrami sandwich in your icon...makin' me hungry...

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Kd wrote: "Well I'm 2 for 2! Nominated Dragon tears last month and it won... nominated Night Chills for Oct and it won... Hmmm... what can I get everyone to read for November?!?"

:-P

message 5: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5993 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Kd - Did Koontz ever write a novel about food? I'd nominate that one...it looks like a big Pastrami sandwich in your icon...makin' me hungry..."

A book about food would be a great pick for November in which US citizens celebrate Thanksgiving with a feast, but I don't know of a book involving food - mostly it's always just chocolate bars that are mentioned in Koontz's novels.

message 6: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Kd wrote: "Well I'm 2 for 2! Nominated Dragon tears last month and it won... nominated Night Chills for Oct and it won... Hmmm... what can I get everyone to read for November?!?"

You're on a roll. I'll have to see if I can Night Chills on Audio from the library. I tried once to read the book but didn't get too far. I seemed kinda like Phantoms to me.

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 246 comments Yay, I ordered this, it was one of the books I lost in the flood. So it getting selected gave me a valid excuse to buy it again in paperback. lol. Yay!

message 8: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 202 comments I have a nice new paperback version of this book, a mere 50 cents.

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) Sorry guys I was on vacation! I'm back!!!

It's actually a giant bacon sandwich and it makes me hungry too. lol

Yeah, I can't think of any of his novels that involve a lot of food...

message 10: by Carol (last edited Sep 20, 2010 07:17AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 118 comments Matt, I have a nice OLD paperback version, just given to me recently. The pages look like they've been nibbled by mice on the edges, LOL. I'm about half-way through, altho I have to confess I've skimmed some. I can see how people would get confused with the going back and forth event-wise, but I can also see how doing that is more effective than linear writing in showing the cause and effect of the events. It also adds to the chilling tones of the 'diabolical plot'. And I have to say, I like the title. Sometimes it's hard to deduce how and why the author gives a particular name to the book. With this one, it's pretty obvious after you've read a few chapters...but there is also the feeling that there might be more to it than that.

I have to say, tho, that the sexually explicit descriptions of certain events carried out by the 'inventor' is a little off-putting...but that's not going to stop me from finishing the book, even if I have to skim my way through it! LOL Maybe it will get better. I'm counting on Koontz's 'inherantly good' characters to come through for me here to whip this guy back into shape.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments I have dozens of this mans books but I think at least half the books we've decided to read I have had to track down. DK must turn out a book every 2 weeks... oh well. I just called my favorite used book store and they have a copy, going to pick it up later if all goes well.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments I ordered my copy from Amazon Marketplace a couple days ago.

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) I still own the original copy that I bought. I just have to find it. I know that it's in at least one of 6 locations!!! LOL

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments I ran down and picked up the copy they were holding for me. I'm always astounded that I don't have a given book when one gets voted in and it's not on my shelf... I have a good number of his books, but apparently there are even more I don't have. (LOL)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments Did you know that this book was banned in some states? Apparently they found the subject matter and the sexual scenes to be a bit too much.

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) I knew there was a reason I liked this book.

message 17: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 202 comments And for those curious, here is a list of many books that were once "banned" in the US:

http://www.adlerbooks.com/banned.html

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments Another interesting fact is that the basic plot of Night Chills was reused over 20 years later in "False Memory", albeit on a smaller scale.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Maciek wrote: "Another interesting fact is that the basic plot of Night Chills was reused over 20 years later in "False Memory", albeit on a smaller scale."

I'll bet you were surprised when you realized that. ;-)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments Um, not exactly.;) Everyone interested in the subject matter should read The Manchurian Candidate, the inspiration for both titles.

Christine Maciek wrote: "Did you know that this book was banned in some states? Apparently they found the subject matter and the sexual scenes to be a bit too much."

Now I have to read it! I try to read something from the list during Banned Book week. Check out the ALA website, there are lots of events around the country to promote awareness of challenged and banned books.

Emily (emahh1) | 66 comments Matt R. wrote: "And for those curious, here is a list of many books that were once "banned" in the US:

http://www.adlerbooks.com/banned.html"

WOW what a shocking list! Many of those books were required reading when I was in school. The Judy Blume books were so important to me when I was growing up, esp Then again, maybe I won't. As a mother I know what it is to want to protect my daughter from values that differ strongly from mine, but I can't see how reading a book could override the lifelong lessons I am trying to instill. Should girls be allowed to read books about a girl trying to decide whether or not to 'go all the way'? Absofreekinlutley. I know that Judy Blume is a favorite of book banners, and I having read all her books as a youngster have never understood it. She writes about things that young woman need to understand. Her Are you there God, it's me Margret taught me more about 'becoming a woman' than any talk w/ my mom did. I can't understand banning the Catcher in the Rye, or Tom Sawyer and Huckelberry Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird! Of Mice and Men, and Slaughterhouse-five? I have no idea what people could object to? Having read a good sized chunck of this list I can't imagine why some are on the list, others I can understand why perhaps a school may not want children to read some of the titles, they are not age appropriate, should Lady Chatterly's Lover be in a JR High? No, it shouldn't, High school, iffy, public library, no doubt it should! The problem with a list like this is that it gives no data as to where the book was banned. I would LOVE to know who banned How to Eat Fried Worms (a book that was read to my 3rd grade class by (gasp) our teacher).

Christine I have a hard time understanding the idea of banning books too. I remember when everybody was upset about the Harry Potter books, I knew a few people who wanted the books taken out of the school libraries. My question to these people was, had you read the book and nine out of ten times they had not. It was just plain ignorance that made them react the way they did and I would bet that most of the books on that list got there for the same reasons. Its very, very sad to me.

I just reread To Kill A Mockingbird and no matter how may times I read it, I am overwhelmed by Harper Lee's writing and the examples set by Scout and Atticus Finch. They are timeless.

message 24: by Carol (last edited Sep 27, 2010 01:50PM) (new)

Carol Neman | 118 comments I, too am surprised at some of the titles on the 'banned books' list. I'm not surprised, tho, that Night Chills was on the list. I still can't fathom what DK was thinking by writing the antagonist's over-the-top actions. IMO it was more than prurient...it was degradiing. Which, I guess, was what he wanted to get across in his portrayal of this man, his utter depravity.

Erica (bookpsycho) I'm starting Night Chills now. I am at a standstill with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Christine Erica wrote: "I'm starting Night Chills now. I am at a standstill with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

I picked up Night Chills today but I need to finish Under the Dome first.

A standstill with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? Oh no, I loved that book.

message 27: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

These comments are actually getting me interesting in attempting to read Night Chills. I was determined not to participate this month because I haven't been able to get the audiobook, but after logging on tonight and reading this thread..... I'll have to see.
I watched the film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. It was a rather disturbing, yet compelling story.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments I have the book laying here....but I received so many public library titles at once (they'd all been on a waiting list), I have to finish them and get them back.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I have the book laying here....but I received so many public library titles at once (they'd all been on a waiting list), I have to finish them and get them back."

I just noticed you added "the paladin" to your goodreads screen name. In several Koontz books, Paladin is the name of a private security company. :-)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments I've always liked the Paladin character and we have a few Mikes here...so I added it. My screen name on a few sights is thepaladin.

It's the name for a Holy Knight a defender of the weak and champion of good. I assume that's why Koontz used it as the name for the agency.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "...It's the name for a Holy Knight a defender of the weak and champion of good. I assume that's why Koontz used it as the name for the agency."

Yes, that's what I assumed too. I think it's a very apt name for a security agency.

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 118 comments Oooh, lightbulb! Old TV series "Have Gun Will Travel", what an appropriate name for the hero...(Paladin - the gunslinger). The writers are smarter than I thought...

Christine Carol wrote: "Oooh, lightbulb! Old TV series "Have Gun Will Travel", what an appropriate name for the hero...(Paladin - the gunslinger). The writers are smarter than I thought..."

Wow! Good catch. I never would have thought of that.

Maicie I've always liked the author's characters more than his story lines but this was an interesting topic. I remember discussing subliminal messages in high school. Scary stuff.

This wasn't typical Koontz fare and it's probably the most explicit novel of his I've read to date. I laughed out loud while reading the script for the movie Ogden showed the mercs. I knew I was reading Koontz when he had the couple doing the deed doggie-style. I knew he'd fit in a beloved dog somehow.

message 35: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

I bought me a copy today. Hope I can get through it easily.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments Okay, no spoilers, but I'm through with it. One of Koontz's weakest efforts in my opinion. He's able to write good stuff... this one lost me early.

message 37: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Okay, no spoilers, but I'm through with it. One of Koontz's weakest efforts in my opinion. He's able to write good stuff... this one lost me early."

That's not what I wanted to hear since I'm going to attempt reading this very soon :-(

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 118 comments One man's 'weakest efforts' is another man's 'best I've ever read'. At least he didn't tell you what happened event-wise.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments It's a matter of taste. That's true of mot books. I didn't care for this one.

message 40: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 118 comments Sorry I didn't refer to you by name, Mike, I just realized how rude that may have sounded...

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 207 comments No problem, I was just agreeing that one person's 1 star may be another person's 5 star.

message 42: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Well, I'll be giving Night Chills a try soon and we'll see :-)

Maicie Need some help. I wasn't able to attend the midnight discussion event for this book last night so I thought I'd check it out this morning. Where are the posts for this book? I don't want to miss future events. Thanks.

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Maicie wrote: "Need some help. I wasn't able to attend the midnight discussion event for this book last night so I thought I'd check it out this morning. Where are the posts for this book? I don't want to miss fu..."

:-D There was no midnight discussion, that message just goes out automatically because it marks the end of the month.

Christine ****spoiler alert*****

I am almost finished with Night Chills and I have to say that this book freaks me out. I really have a problem with violence toward children. The turning point in this book and where it goes over the top for me is when Salsbury forces Emma to have sex in front of her son and then Mark is murdered when he walks in on that scene. Its gruesome and if this had been the first book I had read by Koontz, I wouldn't have read any more.

message 46: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 118 comments You said it all for me, Christine! IMHO, the violence and depravity in Night Chills, even before said scene, is not typically Koontz. His scenes are more tastefully done, although sometimes somewhat gruesome, but the character of Salsbury seems to be much more devious and amoral than usual...(for Koontz)

Christine Carol wrote: "the character of Salsbury seems to be much more devious and amoral than usual...(for Koontz)"

This cracked me up: Salsbury is saying this about Dawson, "A maniac, Salsbury thought. What am I doing in partnership with that maniac" (p.197). He said this during the testing leading to up to their field test in Black River. So whose the maniac?

Maicie Jason wrote: :-D There was no midnight discussion, that message just goes out automatically because it marks the end of the month.

Oh for heaven's sake. Can you tell I'm a literal person? I could have been discussing this all along!

****spoiler*****
I like the idea of science gone awry. Makes for a realistic read. It seems like everyday there is an ad for a new wonder drug and then a few months later the public is notified that the side effects are devastating.

message 49: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

That's really funny Maicie - I'm sorry we didn't have the midnight Halloween discussion on Night Chills - might have been interesting. Of course, I would have needed to have read the book to participate. Still planning on reading Night Chills at some point. If you ever want to lead a discussion at midnight or another time, I'm sure the event can be arranged :-)

Christine I think that part of what is bothering me about Night Chills is that its not that far from the truth. I think we do get messages all the time that we are not that aware of. In movies today, product placement is just a blatant form of advertising that you may or may not notice.

« previous 1