Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Tell us about your Travels - Australia and elsewhere

Comments Showing 1-50 of 204 (204 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, where have you been? Where would you like to go? Share your holiday experiences and don't forget to provide some happy snappies.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to start by posting a few recent photos.

I live in Sydney so I will start with a couple of Sydney shots.

1. Taken from the train on my way to work.

2. I was at a conference a few weeks ago. I arrived early and took this shot.

3. This is where I spend my holidays now that I have children. Port Macquarie, a 4 hour drive north of Sydney.

4. Before children (oops I seem to have snuck in the photo) This is a photo taken on the Great Ocean Road Victoria.

message 3: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Great photos ... I have heard that Port Macquarie is a great place to visit ... if I ever get the chance to go touring, bit hard with 5 kids, I will put it on the to do list.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

You don't have to post photo's I just happened to have these on hand.

Port Maquarie is great for us as my husbands parents own a holiday unit there. I have only two kids they are 11 & 13 so traveling is now easy.

message 5: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda For easy tips on how to find photos to post or how to convert your own photos so you can put them in a message, check out the Basic How To Use Goodreads thread in this group.;)

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Mm... travels, always interesting to talk about.

I started in Adelaide, moved to Townsville, then up to Jabiru (NT), down to Nanango (QLD again) then finally back to Townsville - as a kid in school.

Once I was out of school I spent a few years at James Cook Uni before moving to Brisbane - sadly I didn't bond too well with BNE and was lucky enough to have a chance conversation with someone from South Africa over internet chat (consider that this was in 1996). Two weeks later I landed in ZA for I.T. work, travelled all around southern Africa until I was told to leave back in 2000 :-(

Lucky for me though, when I got back to here on my first day in C.Towers I met my wife at the local squash courts - I still remember thinking "I wonder if I'll marry this woman?" as I walked towards her :) :D

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Great travel story Paul.

Did you misbehave in South Africa or was your time just up? What a fabulous time you must have had. It is something I regret not doing when I had the chance. i.e. working overseas. It just seemed that a career was more important. How dumb was that? Now it's too late.

Your stars were obviously aligned on your return. (If you believe in that sort of stuff) :)

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Klehr (goodreadscomkevink) | 78 comments We're blessed as Australians to have long service leave. Back in 2005 my partner and I bought 'round the world tickets and travelled for three and a half months.

Singapore, Berlin, Prague, Paris, Amsterdam, drove around Scotland and Ireland, London (plus a weekend in Manchester), New York, Toronto, Olympia (plus two nights in Seattle) and Las Vegas.

In only four of those destinations we didn't stay with friends. Ah, to do it all again...after all, what's life for?

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments ...that reminds me... I forgot about my trip to Switzerland/Europe - I very much enjoyed that break away from Africa (funny how you can forget about those ones)... again it was a bit of a 'spur of the moment' thing - a friend I knew from there offered me to come and taste the "best kebabs in the world", so I picked up a couple of tickets and saw him a week later :-)

Gail, the "africa departure" thing is a slightly complex story but I wasn't actually in trouble as such - just politics.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 15, 2010 04:28AM) (new)

Kevin wrote: "We're blessed as Australians to have long service leave."

So what was the highlight, favourite places? I went on a similar, if shorter trip when I was 22 (not telling which year that was.:) ) had a ball, but was glad to come home. I think my favourite countries were Scotland and Ireland.

Paul wrote: "...that reminds me... I forgot about my trip to Switzerland/Europe - I very much enjoyed that break away from Africa (funny how you can forget about those ones)... again it was a bit of a 'spur of ..."

Oh you just forgot about your dash to Europe. Life must have been so tough for you Paul. Did the kebabs stack up? :)

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments The kebabs were fantastic. Different to what I was expecting and it didn't hit "straight away" - but you found yourself queuing at the kebab cart each day... more than once :) The countryside was stunning as well.

Sorry if I sounded a bit flippant - I just rushed a bit too much sometimes when I write down things.

Africa was a very rewarding, lovely and at times terrifying experience. That said I worked insanely hard while over there - 6am~8pm was a normal day for me.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I was just pulling you leg Paul. :) You need to re-post your photo it hasn't quite worked.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Should be working now Gail - I had forgotten to add 'goodreads' to the authorized list of sites referring to my images.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep I can see it now. Great shot, stunning location.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I have no ambition to see any other part of the world as I feel there is so much to see here, I was a long distance removalist for 25 years & saw so much but only a small amount of what Oz has to offer & what really drove this home to me was the time I delivered a load out of storage to a bloke in Brisbane, who could tell you anything about other countries, but did not know where Bundaberg was, I've seen the purple/orange sunsets out west, I've seen thousands of cockatoos line the the railway tracks heading through western Qld, I've seen the Don river in flood at Bowen, seen yellow bellies leap from the Balone river, had several beers in pubs that would only fit a dozen people, stopped my truck in the middle of the road so a Koala & bub could cross the road, changed blown tyres in 40+ heat, watched blokes reverse triples straight as a die, seen the rainbow of color after rain out west, to much to keep going here.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Brilliant David. I have done a bit of traveling around Australia. To Fraser Island, Qld. A driving tour of Victoria. Spent a number of weeks in South Australia. I haven't yet been to NT, WA or Tassie. Still so much to see...

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 155 comments Tassie is certainly a top spot to visit, looking forward to going back there.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Love reading this thread even though all the nicknames are totally confusing me. David, I esp. love your msg 15 - though world travel is truly wonderful and worthy, there's a lot to be said for depth of experience as well as breadth.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

True Cheryl, I should re-phrase that a little, there are some overseas places I would'nt mind seeing but I have never had that urge when I have'nt seen all I want to see here in the land of Oz. (-:

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

My apologies Cheryl, if you need an interpretation give me a hoy. :)

To start with, Australian states and territories are as follows.
Qld - Queensland
FNQ - Far North Queensland (a state within a state)
NT - Northern Teritory
SA - South Australia
NSW - New South Wales
VIC - Victoria
Tassie - Tasmania

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

FNQ - Far North Queensland (a state within a state) hahahahah!!..you better believe it tooo..LOL!!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

:D

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 15, 2010 04:24PM) (new)

And here is a typical 'triple' Cheryl.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Klehr (goodreadscomkevink) | 78 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Kevin wrote: "We're blessed as Australians to have long service leave."

So what was the highlight, favourite places? I went on a similar, if shorter trip when I was 22 (not telling which year t..."

Fell in love with Prague before they used the Euro. Lovely three day stop. Wrote back to friends saying that Amsterdam is where you take a naughty fling, Paris is where you have an affair and Prague is where you take your soul mate.

message 25: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments I saw a lot of Australia before I left school - Australian school that is - then began seeing the world. I've been to 30-something countries on 6 continents, but I always prefer the depth of experience you get living somewhere. When I was 18, I spent a year in Japan, living with a Japanese family and going to a Japanese school and kept going from there. I've lived in Japan, Belgium and Bhutan for 2-5 years each. I have almost 400 travel anecdotes on my blog from over a decade of travels. Feel free to poke around.

message 26: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Murray wrote: "I saw a lot of Australia before I left school - Australian school that is - then began seeing the world. I've been to 30-something countries on 6 continents, but I always prefer the depth of exper..."

I love your blog Murray. I am constantly fascinated by the things people write about themselves and what makes us put this information in the public domain. I have been thinking more and more lately of starting my own blog but that's just a daydream.:) I read the first few of your entries, about Bhutan, your studies, your book and the snowboarding incident. All wonderful stories. You're living such a full life! One of my favourite things on your blog was that travel map that could be personalised with your own trips. I LOVE that! I've put the site on my desktop and I'm going to do my own travel map next week. Thanks for sharing your stories with us.:)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Thanks!

message 28: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments Mandy wrote: "I love your blog Murray. I am constantly fascinated by the things people write about themselves and what makes us put this information in the public domain."

I'm pleasantly surprised myself at how well it's gone. I don't have a big following, but readers come from an amazing range of countries.

It actually started out as emails home. Then a number of people said 'These are great. When are you going to write a book?' Of course I put that down to friendly flattery, but when I received the same feedback from people I'd never heard of and realised my emails were being passed around, I started taking it seriously. So began the blog, then a book on Japan.

Then it all fell apart when I joined the Brussels Writers Group with the likes of Alice Jolly, Alice Jolly and Jeremy Duns and realised how much I had to learn.

Dragon Bones: Two Years Beneath the Skin of a Himalayan Kingdom is the culmination of years of writing practice, taking selected blog posts, adding a personal aspect that can only be written in hindsight, and polishing and feedback and polishing.

message 29: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Here is a world map with some of the places I've visited. You can make your own map by visiting http://www.tripadvisor.com/

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Mandy I have been using the Google maps to track some traveling which looks quite similar. Does yours allow you to use different tags and add comments? I would like to colour co-ordinate things to give my map more meaning but it only allows me to put a blue tag on the co-ordinates, maybe I haven't fully explored the options.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

PS I'm ditching my kids so I can go travelling with you! :D

message 32: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 21, 2010 07:06PM) (new)

Mandapanda Gail "cyborg" wrote: "PS I'm ditching my kids so I can go travelling with you! :D"

I was just playing with it this morning but it does have several different tags that I didn't really go in to. I found this site from Murray's blog. A lot of that travelling I did when I was a bit younger. I don't do so well sleeping in tents in the desert anymore! LOL

message 33: by Soma (new)

Soma Helmi (somahelmi) | 11 comments Hey all, talking about travel is one of my favourite things! I'm so in love with travelling, seeing the world and meeting all the mad characters you find along the way. Here's a short summary of my (main) travels.

I was born in Bali, then moved to the states when I was 10. A little country town in northern California. Then onto Santa Fe, New Mexico a year later.

At age 13 I went on a long trip to Europe with my mum (carrying the first pair of rollerblades they'd ever seen there). Yes, I rollerbladed in the Louvre courtyard and under the Eiffel Tower. I think back then it was still a novelty, so it was more amusement and less outrage/arrest.

I moved to Australia at 14 and went to an International school in the bush outside of Brisbane. I spent the next 8 years in Australia (a brief 2 years in Canberra). I then moved to Cambridge to work in a pub and travel Europe. I spent 8 weeks through Greece and Turkey, best time of my life.

5 years ago on a holiday to Bali, I decided to move back to Indonesia. I lived in Jakarta for 4 years. Went home to Australia for another 8 months and now I've finally settled in my birthplace of Ubud, Bali.

Phew. And those are just the major moves. hehe, I kinda like travelling. I went to India for the first time last month. Incredible, dirty, magical and frustrating.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. :D

message 34: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Mandy I have been using the Google maps to track some traveling which looks quite similar. Does yours allow you to use different tags and add comments? I would like to colour co-ordinate things to ..."

Gail, it's been a while since I played with google maps that way, but you used to be able to select a number of different 'pins' and even use your own images. Not sure about comments, but I'd be surprised if you weren't able to. I haven't played much with tripadvisor, but I know you can do a few different options like 'been to', 'will go to' and 'recommend'.

message 35: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments Soma wrote: "Hey all, talking about travel is one of my favourite things! I'm so in love with travelling, seeing the world and meeting all the mad characters you find along the way. Here's a short summary of my..."

That sounds like a very interesting life, Soma. Have you documented any of it? There's so much to see.

message 36: by Soma (new)

Soma Helmi (somahelmi) | 11 comments Hi Murray,

Yes. Some of my travels are in my first book Sammi Ever After A lot of the Europe travels at least. The character, Sammi has a similar background so it was easy for me to talk about her journey.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Soma wrote: "Hey all, talking about travel is one of my favourite things! I'm so in love with travelling, seeing the world and meeting all the mad characters you find along the way. Here's a short summary of my..."

Some of you might want to join my newish group, Fans of Maps, here on Goodreads. It's quiet so far, but it has definite potential if we get some good members!

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

message 38: by Dhitri (new)

Dhitri Soma wrote: "Hey all, talking about travel is one of my favourite things! I'm so in love with travelling, seeing the world and meeting all the mad characters you find along the way. Here's a short summary of my..."

Hi Soma, let me guess, you must have been born on a Monday, right (Soma is Balinese for Monday)? My parents (and my entire extended family) are from Bali, but I was born and raised in Jakarta, New York, Brazilia and Bonn, thanks to my Dad's diplomatic career.

Based on my family tree, I am a Balinese. Indonesians commonly define to themselves by their ethnic group first and then by the Indonesian citizenship. But I have always considered myself more of a world citizen and a big city gal on top of that (having spent the past 8 years in chaotic Jakarta).

And now I am in Canberra to pursue my postgraduate studies. I share your enthusiasm for travelling, but I have never had the chance to live in Bali, the birthplace of my parents and my family traditions. I might do that someday; I've always had this desire to explore and understand my Balinese roots.

But right now I have the bigger urge to discover Australia! And since I will be here for another, let's see, four years (!!!), I will have ample opportunity to explore the vast expanse of this wondrous place. Already I am charmed by the little new things I encounter everyday, and to think that I live in a Canberra suburb, LOL. I will closely follow this thread to check on your recommendations for places to visit in Australia, so keep them coming :)

message 39: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (daniel99) | 2 comments Hello guys. I am an English teacher in Gwangyang, Jeollanamdo, Korea, however, I hail from the south coast of NSW. Maybe I can post some photos of me with my students-they are (mostly) adorable.

I graduated university last year and wanted to teach overseas and finally settled on Korea. I haven't travelled exrensively yet, but in the next few years I hope to change that. Earlier this year I went to Canada for about three months and stayed in a city near Toronto, and I also visited New York City for my 22nd birthday. I also had a lovely holiday last year in Thailand. Early next year when we have holidays, we are planning on going abroad, probably to Vietnam.

I enjoy living in Korea but miss home too. Seoul is a huge, fascinating, hectic, sprawling and vibrant city that has a much more cosmopolitan feel than the rest of Korea. I live in a southern Province that has a low popualtion density compared to most of the other provinces, however, the apartment blocks, along with the mountains, remain highly conspicuous.

I look forward to hearing more travel stories here.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds fantastic Daniel, welcome to the group. We would love to see some pictures of you and your students.

message 41: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) | 0 comments Hello.
I recently went on my first ever trip overseas. I went to Fiji for 6 wonderful nights.
It was gorgeous. I enjoyed every minute of the trip, even when I got home sick.
I plan on going back there next year with my Dad because I adored the place and I felt so comfortable there.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad you enjoyed it so much Elise, but surely there are so many other wonderful unexplored places to go to....

message 43: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) | 0 comments Oh yes. I have a long list of places I want to go. France being the main.

message 44: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Elise wrote: "Oh yes. I have a long list of places I want to go. France being the main."

I was luck enough to live and work in Geneva in Switerland for 3 years which is just across the border from France. I had to learn to speak French which was a laugh! But the french culture, people landscape is magnifique!! Don't believe what people tell you about french people being rude. Once you're out of Paris (which has so many tourists the locals get understandably fed up) the people are very warm and welcoming. Especially if you make the effort to speak the language.

message 45: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) | 0 comments @Mandy. I am currently learning French to prepare myself. I plan on going to France for about 3 - 6 months :)

message 46: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda @ Elise. Vous aurez un temps merveilleux!! Je voudrais pouvoir y retourner trop...

P.S. If I can learn another language anyone can!

message 47: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments Daniel wrote: "Hello guys. I am an English teacher in Gwangyang, Jeollanamdo, Korea, however, I hail from the south coast of NSW. Maybe I can post some photos of me with my students-they are (mostly) adorable.
..."

Daniel, you're going about it the right way. Living in a country and having daily contact with the locals is definitely the most rewarding way to travel. I'd love to hear some of the stories of what you've done and what the kids say / do.

message 48: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) | 0 comments @Mandy. Merci. Je vais en France en 2012. Je l'espère.

On another note I am also travelling to QLD (from NSW) in January for the first time since I was 4 years old. Very excited about that.

message 49: by Soma (new)

Soma Helmi (somahelmi) | 11 comments Adhityani wrote: "Soma wrote: "Hey all, talking about travel is one of my favourite things! I'm so in love with travelling, seeing the world and meeting all the mad characters you find along the way. Here's a short ..."

Sorry it's been an age, Bali has had too many things going on! :) No, I wasn't born on a monday, on a wednesday actually. But yes, I get that all the time. My name also has meaning in Indian, Greek and Tibetan languages, it's just coincidental that it means Monday in the place I was born :)

I really enjoyed living in Canberra as well. Despite all the raised eyebrows that I get whenever I say that! lol

message 50: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Woodland | 313 comments Having spent my youth wandering around the Far East I am always keen to return with my wife to show her places of my past. I have been fortunate to be able to do this and have shown her Ceylon (always Ceylon in my mind), Singapore, Hong Kong and a number of other places. The biggest let down was Singapore. I can remember it before it was part of Malaysia. I was there when they broke away from Malaysia to become Singapore again. Then it was a 'foreign' port still with traces of Joseph Conrad, working godowns along the river, real ships anchored in the harbour & the smell of the East. Now it is a mini Switzerland 60 miles north of the equator.
Try these two books for memories of what used to be
'One for the Road' & 'An Eastern Port' both by Julian Davison who grew up in Singapore in the 50's & 60's
Memories, memories :-o)
A sign of age!

« previous 1 3 4 5