Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Epic Fantasy > Magic Kingdom of Landover

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (last edited Sep 15, 2010 03:13PM) (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments Terry Brooks -- Magic Kingdom of Landover series. This series has 6 books. (so far)

1.Magic Kingdom For Sale -- SOLD! (1986)
2.The Black Unicorn (1987)
3.Wizard at Large (1988)
4.The Tangle Box (1994)
5.Witches' Brew (1995)
6.A Princess of Landover (August 18, 2009)

I say so far because i only have 4 of them. As you can see by the dates number 4 was in 94, and although i have read these 4 several times each i didn't know about the other 2 till a few weeks ago. I was looking for something else when i found them by mistake. I'm going to get them off Amazon. I love the adventures of Ben Holiday, and hope some of you will to.

Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1) by Terry Brooks The Black Unicorn (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #2) by Terry Brooks Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3) by Terry Brooks The Tangle Box (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #4) by Terry Brooks Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5) by Terry Brooks A Princess of Landover (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #6) by Terry Brooks

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I want to start this series. It sounds interesting. There is an omnibus for the first three on sale on Amazon.com.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments Not to make spoilers for you, it starts out in the real world. Well to us it's the real world. After the Dragonlance trilogy X2 these are my favorite fantasy series.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) No worries, Lori. I knew that from some of the reviews/blurbs I read.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I loved this series. Read them all. I hope he gives us more.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments I have got to find the time to read the last two. Let him produce one next year. LOL

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments He's got another Shannara trilogy he's doing. Where he finds the time for Landover, I don't know. If he writes them, I'll read them.

On a personal note: When I first met my husband, I was reading a book and we starting talking about books. He recommended Magic Kingdon to me. I'll never forget that book for as long as I live.

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (kenwong) | 2 comments I loved reading this series when I was a kid. Would love to revisit the stories again because I can't remember how fall I have reached in the series, must have been either book 4 or book 5.

message 9: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey | 15 comments I just found the first two in the series at a library book sale. Looking forward to diving in!

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Have fun!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the first of these when I was a preteen and loved em. His books read well for all ages. I wish he'd add to his Word & Void series. Excellent books. Never really cared for his Shannara novels that much.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments The Genesis of Shannara is the bridge between Word & Void and the Shanarra series. That's the only addition to W&V we're likely to get. And it was brilliant; I loved it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? I had no idea. I didnt realize they were in any way related. Well see, now I have to go read those. Thanks, Jackie ;)

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I didn't either...until he published the first Genesis novel,Armageddon's Children. Then comes The Gypsy Morph and The Elves of Cintra.
I thought it was genius to bridge two widely differing series into one story.

message 15: by Rob (last edited Feb 14, 2011 02:19PM) (new)

Rob (rlowe1321) | 6 comments I read these books. and i liked them. I have read some of his other books and got bored, but I liked landover.

message 16: by Legsoffury (new)

Legsoffury I liked these books when I read them. They are light-hearted.

I was young when I read them and it was a long time ago so I can't say what I would think of them now.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) Read them all, they are good, but I like Shannara better.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 572 comments I've read some/most of both Shannara and Landover and think the first 2 or 3 of the Landover series are my favorites, particularly liked the first but the following books were not quite as fresh and entertaining.

I did pick up the last one "Princess" at the library and didn't even finish that one.

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 8 comments I have read the first few to the Landover series. I still need to finish the series however, once I finish collecting it.

message 20: by Scott (new)

Scott (bookblogger) I picked up the omnibus of the first three books at a local used bookstore for $2. I'm honestly not 100% sold on his writing style, but I figured why not at that price.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 861 comments I loved the first three books in the series. Never read The Tangle Box or Witches' Brew. I did read The Princess of Landover recently and was hugely disappointed. All of the regular characters from the first books were hardly mentioned at all and Mistaya was a spoiled, rebellious brat who needed a good shaking every now and then to smarten her up!

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I remember liking Tangle Box and Witches' Brew, but I agree that Princess sucked. I was very disappointed by it.

message 23: by Elien (new)

Elien | 36 comments I just started the second book, and I'm loving Landover! Very entertaining, absolutely. I do hope I'll get to find out more about Abernathy as the series continues, though. No, don't tell me! :p