Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Authors > Terry Brooks

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments Terry Brooks!!! Really what else is there to say? The man is a genius. I haven't read anything by him that wasn't worth the time or money.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments True.
Read the whole Shannara series and the Magic Kingdom series and The Word and the Void series. Liked every single one of them.
I have the newest Shannara, Bearers of the Black staff but I'm waiting for the rest to be published. He had a habit of leaving you mid-story with his trilogies.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments I love Magic Kingdom. Did you know there are 6 books? I had read the only 4 i knew about twice easily. I accidentally found out on Amazon, so i ordered the next two. This was just a few weeks ago.

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Sep 18, 2010 02:44PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Yeah, Princess of Landover. I bought it when it first came out. Scifi book club usually lets me pre-order books. I got Bearers of the Black Staff on pre-order too.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (chromiumv12) | 6 comments I have a question for those who have read the Shannara series. I was given book 1 and 2 (Isle Witch and Antrax) of The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara series. Do you think that it is a bad place to start and I should buy the first series or could I go ahead and read them and not be left too much in the dark about the Shannara world?

message 6: by Jackie (last edited Nov 10, 2010 08:13PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments First, this is not good examples of how good Shannara can be. It's my least favorite next to the High Druid arc of the series. I think if you read Voyage first, you'd probably never read the rest and that would be a serious loss.
Second, the events in Voyage happen much later. So while the characters and events have a tenuous tie to the early Shannara, you'd still benefit from reading them in order to get the early history of how all this came to be.

Sword has been called a rip-off of LOTR and it seems to be true at first, but give it a chance, Brooks finds his own voice, his own story. Elfstones is my favorite of them all and Wishsong is my second favorite. They are not to be missed.

In truth, the whole series, overall, is pretty damn good. If you really get into it, you can read The Word and The Void series, then Genesis of Shannara which is a bridge between W&V and early Shannara and goes far into the past to illustrate how Shannara came to be.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (chromiumv12) | 6 comments Thank you Jackie. It is just as I thought, I need to start at the beginning. I will try to get the orginal Shannara and I believe the heritage series follows that.

Honestly I hope it isn't too much like LOTR because I just couldn't get through even Fellowship of the Rings. It doesn't help that I saw all the movies first I imagine.

Thanks again for your answer Jackie!

message 8: by Jackie (last edited Nov 10, 2010 09:04PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments The similarities in Sword and LOTR are superficial, the quest, the people who make up the quest (wizard, elf, dwarf etc), object of the quest (sword/ring). But it's in no way long-winded like LOTR. Brooks writes in a much easier to understand style. I really hope you like it. :)

Heritage is a long one. 4 novels tied together to bring one continuing story. My husband couldn't finish it. But it was really good, he missed out. :(

message 9: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 380 comments i've always thought of the Shannara series as LOTR lite, for kids. the writing is simple, almost pedestrian. the themes are pretty transparent. the narrative and world-building are straightforward and very easy to understand, and obviously very derivative. LOTR, on the other hand, is a complicated masterpiece of style, narrative, evocative world-building - and the writing is complex and beautiful. comparing the two, to my way of thinking at least, is akin to comparing the Twilight series to The Passage.

i'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing or that the Shannara series is without value...some of the most sublime works of fantasy are straightforward, easy to read, to the point, simple in language, etc: the Earthsea series, the Harry Potter series, the Narnia series, etc.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments LOTR is magnificient. It's one of my favorite books of all time. However, at times it did drag on and I wished it moved along.

message 11: by mark (last edited Nov 13, 2010 02:27AM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 380 comments yep. for me, what dragged the most was sam & frodo's endless journey in The Two Towers. i know, for some, this is the highlight of the series. i found myself getting irritated and, hate to say it, bored. but hey, i was bored during the endless journeys of the last Harry Potter book as well. re LOTR i much preferred the first and third books, some of my favorite passages written of any book read.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Yes! That's exactly the part I felt dragged on and on and on.
The last 3 Harry books were unnecessarily overlong. The 5th book, the first 100 pages should have been done in 30. The last one too, hiding out in the forest, way too long.
I don't mind long books but they have to be entertaining and have something going on. Long books for the sake of more pages written just sucks. I recently finished The Name of the Wind, 660 pgs, and not one of those pages dragged or was boring. If a book is going to be that long, make wach page count.

message 13: by Jason (last edited Nov 13, 2010 05:10PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I think that a lot of people find Sam and Frodo's endless journey boring. My wife and I certainly agree.

I'm also a big fan of those other, less complicated books you mentioned, Mark. Especially Earthsea and Harry Potter.

Terry Brooks never made much of an impression on me, though, for some reason. I tried reading him several times, but just can't get into his work.

message 14: by Jackie (last edited Nov 13, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments His Magic Kingdom series is an easy read.

I liked the first Earthsea but hated the rest. Narnia was great at times. I think it's hard to keep the excitement of the original novel when they start stretching them into series.

I wish there was more stand-alone fantasy.

message 15: by Jason (last edited Nov 13, 2010 06:44PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments For me, it depends on the series. Sometimes, if a series is really popular and so the publisher asks the author to extend it. When this happens, you can sometimes tell. I'm thinking The Wheel of Time. Although a fantastic read on so many levels, it probably could have been done in five or six books. But, that's just my opinion.

I like stand-alone fantasy, too. David Gemmell was pretty good for those.

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I'll have to check him out. Thanks.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments No problem! :)

message 18: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 380 comments i'm nearly finished reading A Game of Thrones, which is epic in length. but it reads like a short read - the pace hasn't flagged for me once. it's been really enjoyable the entire way, so far.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Mark, that's good to know. I recently acquired it in paperback. Maybe I'll start it next.

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments All of ASoIaF is that good, Mark. Except for the forth one maybe. I didn't mind it, but it pissed off a lot of fans.

message 21: by Jackie (last edited Nov 15, 2010 03:13PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Jason,
I have heard rumblings about that. Can you elaborate? I want to read the series, but then I'm apprehensive about starting it.
If you don't want to give spoilers here, could you send a PM?

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments About the forth book, A Feast for Crows, in ASoIaF? It pissed a lot of people off because it leaves out a lot of their, including my own, favorite characters. The book also doesn't really do anything to move the series' plot forward, and so some were panicking that this was becoming another Robert Jordan and his WoT thing of penny pinching the audience.

Martin explains in the forward of A Feast for Crows that he did it that way because the original that was supposed to be book four was too thick for publication, and so he and his publisher decided to break it into two books. That meant he had to break the story's plot and main characters into two, as well.

Now it's pissing people off because Martin's taken another five years or so to publish book five. LOL

I liked book four, personally, because it was still set in Westeros, and still had Martin's style of grittiness and, dare I say it?, realism. It's not the best in the series, but still very good.

message 23: by Jackie (last edited Nov 15, 2010 03:18PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Ah, I can see the reason for the piss off. If it was so big that it had to be split in two, then where's the other half? Wouldn't his foreward kind of imply that it was done? Yes, five years would make me crazy. I generally prefer to have all books to a series in hand before starting them. But that has backfired on me numerous times, like when the first books of the series sucks and I don't really want to read the rest.

I hear HBO or one of the pay channels is doing a series for A Game of Thrones, so I guess now's a good a time as any to start. I'm almost finished with my current book and need to make a decision.

Thanks for your help

message 24: by Jason (last edited Nov 15, 2010 03:29PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments No problem, Jackie. I'm always glad to help where I can. :)

I think, though, when Martin said that book four would be too big for publishing in one book, he had the outline done, not the actual manuscript. It's taking him forever to write book five, too. Which, I'll admit, can be frustrating. But, I can be patient.

Yes, I believe that the HBO series starts sometime next spring. I can't wait. I was so surprised when I learned of this, since this is, like, my all-time favorite series. LOL

message 25: by Valli (last edited Mar 19, 2011 10:57AM) (new)

Valli (ValliChelle) Where does the Magic Kingdom of Landover series fit in to this gigantic series? I checked the suggested reading order on Terry Brooks website, but I don't even see this series listed.

Maybe I just missed it or maybe it isn't even part of this series. I just don't know...Help! :-)

A friend of mine gave me every single one of his books this morning and I have them all sorted into their assorted groupings, except for these Landover books.

Thanks for any help you can send me!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol....The Magic Kingdom of Landover series isn't related to the Shannara series so you can keep it and read it separately :) I actually enjoyed this series more than the Shannara books. Come to think of it, my fav Terry Brooks Series is the Word and the Void which i later found out is loosely related to the Shannara series! Go figure. Hope this helps :)

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I really liked Landover too... But the latest one, Princess of Landover.. It pretty much sucked hard core. In my opinion of course :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol...ahhh Dawn...such a delicate flower ;)

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I was underwhelmed with Princess too.

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Princess just felt like he wrote it just to please people who kept asking for another Landover story. It was so forced... There was no where for the story to go, but he wrote it anyway just to say he did.

And damn right I'm a delicate flower! *hocks loogie* :D

message 31: by Valli (new)

Valli (ValliChelle) Thanks, Grant! I guess that explains why I couldn't find it on the list, huh?! Aargh.

Princess of Landover is actually the only one I don't have...sound like a good thing! ;-)

Thanks, again!

message 32: by Elien (new)

Elien | 36 comments I pretty much put off reading any of Brooks books because I couldn't oversee the vast number of Shannara books. Also, a friend of mine warned me they were LOTR rip-off. But then again, aren't they all? :p

Not long ago I was given the task to sort out the -to most of my colleagues- completely incomprehensible world of fantasy series in our library (I *love* my job! :D). This is how I came across the Magic Kingdom series - I'd never even heard of it before. It looked interesting and amusing enough, though, so I'm going to start the first book after I finish the other ones higher on my TRL. Although there's always the possibility I won't be able to wait that long. ;)

And thanks Lori, for bringing up that there are six books - I just checked and we're missing the last one, nooo! It's still available for order, though, thank God. *plots to slip it into an order form when no one's looking*

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 861 comments Dawn wrote: "I really liked Landover too... But the latest one, Princess of Landover.. It pretty much sucked hard core. In my opinion of course :)"

My opinion, too, Dawn. I guess I'm a delicate flower as well! *belches loudly*

I loved the first couple of books with Ben and Willow and all the rest, but Princess was such a disappointment. I just wanted to take her, shake her and smack her upside the head a few times.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) The Sword Of Shannara was one of my first fantasy reads. I went through the Shannara and the Heritage series in a few days. So much can be accomplished with time on your hands :)